TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:51:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Anniversary Gig  (Read 83401 times)
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2017, 12:37:55 AM »

It is not often that a band exists 50 years and one would assume that it would be a special occasion, well not so. It was just another Fairport concert with two friends who I had never seen before but who I did like very much. I still do feel uncomfortable when Simon sings the songs Sandy Denny sang and I think they could do with a permanent female singer. Although I did not like all the songs I did enjoy the concert.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:55:59 AM by Ronald » Logged
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2017, 07:52:36 AM »

Were you sat in the front row, Ronald?

I thought the musicianship second to none, but the second set was far stronger material-wise

Good to catch up with an awful lot of friends, thanks all.

And yes. I do know my Matty from that Bangor song!

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #102 on: May 28, 2017, 08:44:01 AM »

There's some similarity... Matty does get to bang 'er. Sorry!

Keith (Swamp Donkey) and I were sat right at the back up in the gods... the sound was as good as I have come to expect. Peggy's bass work was as fine as I have ever heard him play.

A fine evening, particularly the second set.

Happy Birthday Fairport!

Flobbadob!
Ronald

« Reply #103 on: May 28, 2017, 08:52:45 AM »

No Chris, my wife and I sat next to the aisle in row 10 or 11 I think. We sat next to a couple who had a 10 year old daughter called Georgie who has been a fan since she was 5 and who also goes to Cropredy.

The second set was indeed stronger and the sound was crystal clear.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2017, 09:25:11 AM »

This is what was said in the November newsletter:

"In May, we’ve got something really special lined up for you. Fifty years to the day – almost to the hour, in fact – since the band’s Golders Green debut Fairport Convention returns to north London for a Golden Anniversary Gig. This celebration of our past, present and future will take place at The Union Chapel, Highbury N1 on Saturday 27 May 2017. Keep an eye on our website for box office information and details of the musical guests."

Has anyone raised this on the FB Fairporters' page? On the surface of it that does look like a massive volte face.  Huh

I guess one could argue that the current set list and the 50:50 album is a celebration of the band's past present and future and there are no promises of who the musical gusts may be - but I agree it does seem to be throwing out a line for which some have taken the bait. A rare occasion where Fairport have maybe kicked a PR own goal and possibly alienated the devotees.

I am sure the gig will be a good one but if it is a - slightly revamped - take on the Spring tour folks who have spent money on tickets. accommodation, travel etc for what was promised as "something really special" have a right to feel a bit hard done by. BUT lets wait until the reviews come in, Fairport still have the ability to surprise and Simon's comments may be about managing expectations.

DW

I realise it is a bit early back in UK Grin but the post-gig posts haven't made much comment on the content, guests or any of the concerns raised earlier.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 09:30:02 AM »

Were you sat in the front row, Ronald?

I thought the musicianship second to none, but the second set was far stronger material-wise

Good to catch up with an awful lot of friends, thanks all.

And yes. I do know my Matty from that Bangor song!

A fantastic concert in a wonderful setting, enhanced of course by Chris remembering to grab 2 cushions, thanks Chris.

The second half was so good, the sound amazing.' Special guests', Jacqui McShee first half and second half Sally Barker.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2017, 09:50:20 AM »

A very polished set, with an enthusiastic audience. Simon looked visibly moved by the reaction. I wouldn't call it special, as far as I could tell it was pretty much the same set list as the Wintour with a couple of variations. A nice day out for me, catching up with an old school friend and bumping into Paul T in the pub, but would I have come having seen them at the Union Chapel on the wintour, and if I'd known the set list in advance? On balance, yes.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »

We gave up going to the wintours in about 2003 because they'd become so samey and the new material was so ho-hum, and as mentioned previously we last the saw the band live at Cropredy 2007, so last night was something of a dipping of a toe back into the water.

The musicianship was as good as ever, but then that's a tired old cliche when it comes to FC, and *all* the bands I go and see live display superb musicianship, so let's discount that. What mattered last night was the atmosphere and the song selection; the quality of the former was a given, the latter much less so.

The first half was a bit dull. Sorry, but it was. I can't even remember most of what was played, and although Our Bus Rolls On sounds sparkier live than on CD, the lyrics are still irredeemably twee. Good to hear Genesis Hall again though.

Second half was definitely stronger, and I was surprised to discover that a Chris Leslie song was one of the highlights - John Gaudie had the drive of mid-80s FC (my favourite era).

Overall, the most memorable aspect was probably the stage banter. Ric, in particular, was on good form.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »

Second half was definitely stronger, and I was surprised to discover that a Chris Leslie song was one of the highlights - John Gaudie had the drive of mid-80s FC (my favourite era).

Overall, the most memorable aspect was probably the stage banter. Ric, in particular, was on good form.

John Gaudie is a bona fide Fairport classic at this point, albeit that it started life as a Whippersnapper song and was the first thing he brought to the band when he joined 20 years ago.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2017, 11:09:25 AM »

Just of to Wembley to see Blackpool in the playoff final so it seems appropriate that the phrase which comes to mind is a game of two halves. The first half was a bit indifferent especially with the three weakest songs from the new CD. I had refrained from commenting on it before as so often songs take on a new life when performed in concert. They didn't. I can only assume PJ was happy to give it away. I did enjoy Genesis Hall and a strong WKWTTG, good to hear the two fiddles on that. Don't agree about the sound though - we couldn't hear a word Jacqui McShee sang which was a real shame.

Clearly the manager had words with the team in the second half as they came out on the attack, with far better sound. Had missed the winter tour but did enjoy Sally Barker who seemed to lift them. Enjoyed everything in the second half, even the new song. Only slight carp is I don't like so much banjo in Matty Groves and really miss the instrumental coda. By the end, it did start to seem special and we went away happy.

I only hope I feel the same at 5 this afternoon....come on the Pool!
Ronald

« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »

The best song for me was Rising for the moon, it has always been a favourite of mine and it was good to hear a female vocalist sing it, Sally Barker sang it very well.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »

I wasn't there and haven't seen a setlist but from the above descriptions, the dynamics sound exactly like the Wintour i.e. flat first half, more energetic second half.
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »

My review of last night now up on my blog

https://darrensmusicblog.com/2017/05/28/fairport-convention-50th-anniversary-gig-at-union-chapel-london-27517/

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »

It sounds like no stops were pulled out for this showcase gig celebrating 50 years of what was once the greatest folk rock band in the world.
Another chance to celebrate missed.
Whatever, it wasn't really what was hinted at when first announced.

The Dude abides
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2017, 03:11:52 AM »

It was definitely overhyped, but possibly by accident rather than design given Simon's "managing expectations" post last week.

I have to be honest here and say that because I haven't seen the band in person for 10 years, my immediate reaction when they walked on stage was that Simon was a lot more svelte than previously, and Peggy had... gone the other way Smiley Certainly not what I was expecting.

Gerry didn't step out from the kit to say anything. I'm sure that when we were still going to wintours every year, he would get up to do at least one song intro. Possibly reluctantly? Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »

Far more than hinted at.  If there was misinterpretation from the fans, there was misinterpretation everywhere online, and it could have been nipped in the bud much much earlier.  I'm very glad I decided not to go - it would have broken my heart.  Having said that, I'm gutted not to be going to Cropredy, as there is music there that I definitely want to see, but I'll have to make do with listening to it instead.  I am excited by the box set too, so it's not all bad, despite knowing virtually everything on it intimately!  Weirdo....  Twas ever thus.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »

You are right it was more than hinted at. There was a newsletter last autumn which announced a very special evening and it prompted us to book last September even though it effectively blocked off the bank holiday weekend when we would otherwise have gone away. This was repeated in later Fairport newsletters even up to April and I would be surprised if they were sent out without being approved by someone senior at Fairport Towers.

I wonder if some of the special guests they were hoping for couldn't make it, hence Simon downplaying in recent weeks? Whatever, they do need to take a good look at their customer relations. They have an intensely loyal fan base but they shouldn't take us for granted.

Overall, it was no more than an ordinary but enjoyable Fairport gig with no surprises. What made the evening special was the audience and the response at the end.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2017, 10:16:45 PM »

My take on it. http://theafterword.co.uk/fairport-convention-2/

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2017, 10:26:29 PM »

Sorry I missed seeing you Shane. I was there. Honest!  Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:21 PM »

Sorry I missed seeing you Shane. I was there. Honest!  Smiley

The only celebrity I bumped into was Andy Leslie.  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: