TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:39:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Golden Anniversary Gig  (Read 83462 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2017, 11:06:29 PM »

Sorry I missed seeing you Shane. I was there. Honest!  Smiley

The only celebrity I bumped into was Andy Leslie.  Fez

Um, thanks for that. Wendy and I were accompanied by our son, Simon, we all enjoyed the gig to various levels. Good to see Shane and his mate, Steve.We were helped out by Martin Driver in offloading a spare ticket, so thanks for that, mate.

A few other TAW folk were there and we exchanged greetings, didn't see Jude though.

I met several people who had flown in for this gig from various continents, our mere 6.5 hr journey from Wales was as nothing to their journeys.

As I've said on FB, "John Gaudie" was the standout for me, because they extended it and made it the most enthusiastic of their playing. Excellent.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:17:18 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »

The set List....

Our Bus rolls On
Genesis Hall
Devils Work (DIY)
Summer by the Cherwell
Slip Jigs & Reels
Danny Jacks Reward
Lady of Carlisle (w/Jacqui)
WKWTTG
Bring me Back my Feathers

Sir Patrick Spens
Fotheringay
John Gaudie
Portmeirion
Rising for the Moon (w/Sally)
Farewell Farewell
Hiring Fair
Eleanor's Dream
Matty

MOTL

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2017, 10:08:20 AM »

Sounds like pretty much the exact same setlist (minus the two guest songs) that we had at Nettlebed last Monday.  Not so sad I didn't make the effort to go now.  Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed it, but it would have been more of the same so close together.  I think the first mention of it was in last year's Cropredy programme.  I'd have to look back at it to see exactly how it was phrased, but the suggestion was that it would be something a bit different.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2017, 11:15:09 AM »

Sounds like pretty much the exact same setlist (minus the two guest songs) that we had at Nettlebed last Monday.  Not so sad I didn't make the effort to go now.  Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed it, but it would have been more of the same so close together.  I think the first mention of it was in last year's Cropredy programme.  I'd have to look back at it to see exactly how it was phrased, but the suggestion was that it would be something a bit different.

It was a really enjoyable evening with a good atmosphere but when we first heard about it we 'rushed' to get tickets as we thought the guests were going to be 'special' It really did give that impression.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »

It was a really enjoyable evening with a good atmosphere but when we first heard about it we 'rushed' to get tickets as we thought the guests were going to be 'special' It really did give that impression.

Same here!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »

listened to a pretty decent recording.
it wasn't that special Huh
possibly the most serious case of mis-selling since PPI

The Dude abides
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »

For anyone wanting a full gig review, this from the Friends of Fairport FB page,

"Fairport Convention
The Union Chapel London 27th May 2017
The fiftieth anniversary concert

On Saturday night at the Union Chapel in Islington, 8 O’clock was approaching. Just before Fairport started I was talking to Kingsley Abbot, one of those present at the debut gig, I asked him what he had been doing that night. “Waiting for them to start playing” was his reply. 50 years on and he was still waiting. In between of course there had been some very memorable moments. Those are all for elsewhere of course, tonight it was about tonight. There were several attendees of that first gig present, including Judy Dyble who joined the band shortly after that debut performance.

A few minutes later Fairport took to the stage 50 years to the day on from their debut at St Michael’s Church hall a few miles away. No support, the entire night was theirs, celebrating from the early albums through to their most recent release of course. In fact, that’s where they started with “Our Bus Rolls On”, the latest of the inward-looking songs, about the band and life on the road.

Jumping back to 1969 for “Genesis Hall”, then back up to date, for “The Devil’s Work” and “Summer By The Cherwell” time passed rapidly. “Slip Jigs and Reels” has been in the set on the current acoustic tour, a welcome return, I always liked this piece. Back to the 50:50 @ 50 album for the cheap version of the expensive recording of “Danny Jack’s Reward” written to show off the rhythm section, performed doing exactly that. Time next for a guest to join the party, Jacqui McShee sang “Lady Of Carlisle” on the album, and tonight saw the live debut of the song. As they always do Fairport made the guest spot the high point of the set. It’s always a treat to hear a new song in the set for the first time, the occasion making it even more so.

Although halfway through an acoustic tour, this one off electric show had a slightly different set list from both the Winter and Spring tours, but a regular in both over the years has been “Who Knows Where The Time Goes”. Tear raising in it’s beauty on the night. Up-tempo and with Chris on the banjo it was “Bring Me Back My Feathers” that closed the first half.

During the interval there was time to mingle and chat again, the band were at the merch stall signing anything, “except personal cheques” as Chris had stated. It was soon time to re-take our seats for the second half, featuring largely older material..

Many favourites were included, all spot on performances. “Sir Patrick Spens”, “Fotheringay”, and the more recent but still old “John Gaudie” and “Portmeirion”. Ric’s intro to that being a five minute stand up comedy spot that betters some comedians that I have seen. No doubt he was coached by his old friend and Fairport fan Bobby Bragg who is sadly no longer with us.

Guest time again, and as she did on the winter tour Sally Barker took the mic for “Rising For The Moon”, dancing throughout as she sang. Both Sally and the song are firm favourite with the audience who once again responded with long and hearty applause at the end.

Slowing the pace for “Farewell Farewell”, the sound floated around the chapel beautifully, as it did particularly on Ric’s solo on “The Hiring Fair” which followed. It was to the new album again for “Eleanor’s Dream” the latest of Chris’ songs about Franklin. That was almost it, time for the two non-surprises / required songs of the night. Following “Matty Groves” the applause was long and loud. A they returned to the stage we were prompted from within the audience to sing “Happy Birthday” which we all did gleefully. Sally returned to take the second verse of “Meet On The Ledge”, and we all sang the chorus. Sound was perfect, and lights highlighting the beautiful architecture of the building as well as the band, but as we all know, there is only a next gig to look forward to after that song. So we spilled out onto the street, or in to the bar to talk about the evening, and indeed the previous fifty years. That had been a great performance on a special night. Thanks Simon, Peggy, Ric, Chris and Gerry. Now, it’s on to the BIG party at Cropredy. It’ll soon be here."

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
AlkaXS
n3wb

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:07 PM »

I've written this review for Folk Radio UK: http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2017/06/fairport-convention-50th-union-chapel/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »

"But Simon really had little to worry about, the gig was already sold out..."

And why do you think that was?  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »

From the Folk Radio review:

"And to be fair, no one is being short-changed..."

Given the way the concert was promoted going right back to the original announcement, it wouldn't be unreasonable if people *did* feel short-changed. I have to be absolutely honest and say that if we'd known that it was just going to be A.N. Other spring tour gig, merely coincidentally in London on the 50th anniversary day, we probably wouldn't have gone.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »

When the concert was announced it looked like a real 50th birthday concert with several past members and guests so I told my wife that it would be nice to go to this "very special" concert, so we booked hotel and flight (we probably were not the only ones). The concert was nice but not what we had expected.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: