TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:36:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport "hiatus"  (Read 12315 times)
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« on: September 03, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »

Like many of you I always make sure to buy the festival edition of R2 magazine at Cropredy every year.  Perusing this year's number at my leisure since getting home I noticed an intriguing snippet in the interview with Ralph McTell on p.39, as part of the feature on the background to the tracks on "Myths And Heroes".  He is quoted as saying that his song "Clear Water" was a response to some internal strife in Fairport:

"A couple of years ago there was a bit of a hiatus in the band and there were problems, and I said to Dave [Pegg], "After all these years and all the band's been through you should be looking at clear water. The time for waves, turmoil, storms, disasters and tragedies should be over."

Well, good on him for taking an interest and pouring oil on troubled waters (an apt metaphor for once), but what was that all about?  Can anyone shed any further light on this "hiatus" of which Ralph speaks?  I for one was unaware of any aggro.......

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:18:01 AM »

They were fairly open about it at the time...Peggy even left the Acoustic Band for a couple of years.  It was fairly soon after the divorce...  Alcohol may have been involved.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:31:56 AM »

They were fairly open about it at the time...Peggy even left the Acoustic Band for a couple of years.  It was fairly soon after the divorce...  Alcohol may have been involved.

Peggy talks about this period here :

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=26538.0

I managed to catch the Pegg-less version of the band 3 times - they were good, but some pieces worked better than others, and Peggy's presence vocally and bass-ically (is that a word ?  Smiley ) was definitely missed.
Tertonmike

Still At It...

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:28:19 PM »

Oh, I see!  Thanks for the replies.  
It was all a bit further back in time than I picked up from the R2 article.  Perhaps the McTell song was in gestation for longer than I realised!
And all's well that ends well.  Things seem to be - to stretch the marine metaphors even further - on an even keel again now.  Smiley

"Music is the antidote
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »

It was all a bit further back in time than I picked up from the R2 article.  Perhaps the McTell song was in gestation for longer than I realised!
And all's well that ends well.  Things seem to be - to stretch the marine metaphors even further - on an even keel again now.  Smiley

A very even keel, in becalmed waters, going nowhere slowly.

The Dude abides
Tertonmike

Still At It...

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 12:04:41 AM »

Harsh, Jim, harsh!

"Music is the antidote
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »

Harsh, Jim, harsh!

But fair.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »

And that is Ralph. Many songs are finished, sometimes, 30 years later....  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 01:17:20 PM »

We had them - the fivepiece, not the acoustics - in Grolloo NL 7 Oct 2005. Vo Fletcher played the part of Dave Pegg very well indeed. I was slightly taken aback that there was no mention - as in at all - publicly / on stage about Peggy not being there. Almost as if they pretended Vo Fletcher was Dave Pegg, as if they could get away with that since they were abroad anyway. There were a few raised eyebrows, definetely. BUT to their credit, it was a good show and no one asked for money back (I organized so should know  Sleepy ). And Vo Fletcher is one excellent musician and a very nice chap to boot.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 03:02:44 PM »

We had them - the fivepiece, not the acoustics - in Grolloo NL 7 Oct 2005. Vo Fletcher played the part of Dave Pegg very well indeed. I was slightly taken aback that there was no mention - as in at all - publicly / on stage about Peggy not being there. Almost as if they pretended Vo Fletcher was Dave Pegg, as if they could get away with that since they were abroad anyway. There were a few raised eyebrows, definetely. BUT to their credit, it was a good show and no one asked for money back (I organized so should know  Sleepy ). And Vo Fletcher is one excellent musician and a very nice chap to boot.

That was pretty much exactly my experience at a folk festival in Balloch at the time (i.e., the silence about the situation and what have you). As it happens, it was one of the very best Fairport gigs I've ever seen, mainy because of the enormous enthusiasm of the crowd rather than anything Vo brought to table! (He was very good, though.)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »

I'm more interested in the "hiatus" that occurred after the Farewell, Farewell gig. (because that was the period when I caught the FC bug, their absence making the band seem really legendary ! )  We all know that cropredy continued on an annual basis, but how long was it before the annual winter tours started up ? - certainly it was whilst Swarb was still in the band.  And i still wish that Meet on the Ledge was for cropredy only, as it was back in those days.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »

I'm more interested in the "hiatus" that occurred after the Farewell, Farewell gig. (because that was the period when I caught the FC bug, their absence making the band seem really legendary ! )  We all know that cropredy continued on an annual basis, but how long was it before the annual winter tours started up ? - certainly it was whilst Swarb was still in the band.  And i still wish that Meet on the Ledge was for cropredy only, as it was back in those days.

They played dates (other than Cropredy) every year from 1980 to 1985....not a vast amount but they had Winter dates (not a huge tour like 1986 onwards, but 4 or 5 dates generally) as well as a few one offs and warm ups.  As 'hiatuses' go, they were pretty rubbish at it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 06:13:37 PM »

In the dark and dismal days before talkawhile, compact discs and the start of the thatcher era and before the release of Gladys Leap, word didn't travel as quickly as today and one cold winters evening i was sat at home moping whilst thumbing through the listings page of the Manchester Evening News only to be amazed and somewhat astounded to see an ad for FC live one sunday evening at the Davenport theatre in Stockport!
       So the official line that they only existed at Reunion weekend isnt true. Certainly the Angel Delight  line up toured in the 79-85.Further evidence of this tour exists on the Fairport Home Movie much of which was shot at the Davenport show.
       I am also led to believe that they toured with Bruce Rowlands in the "disbanded" era
       For many bands this would have been a normal touring schedule but for FC i suppose it counts as a quiet period as no new records were made, but it was hardly an age when FC didn't exist.

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »

Every time I saw them between '81 and '85 outside of Cropredy (about 6 times in total, 4 at Wimbledon Theatre, once in Croydon and once in, I think, Portsmouth) it was the Swarb, Pegg, Simon, Bruce lineup but I know that DM did play instead of Bruce sometimes.  I'n fairly certain that this latter 4-piece lineup also played some US dates in '83/'84....(I'm pretty sure I have a recording of them from around then at the Bottom Line Club).

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 07:17:15 PM »

In the dark and dismal days before the start of the thatcher era

A pedant writes:

I would question your historical accuracy here. The hiatus coincided exactly with the Thatcher era as she came to power in '79, just as Fairport were bidding Farewell, Farewell. The period from the "break up" in '79 to Gladys' Leap in '85 spans her first term & a half in office.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 07:28:50 PM »

I would question my use of the english language as well, it give the i.pression that i might have enjoyed the years 79-90 from a political pov, which i certainly didnt.

V poor Campbell
Must do better

The Dude abides
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »

Every time I saw them between '81 and '85 outside of Cropredy (about 6 times in total, 4 at Wimbledon Theatre, once in Croydon and once in, I think, Portsmouth) it was the Swarb, Peggy, Simon, Bruce lineup but I know that DM did play instead of Bruce sometimes.  I'n fairly certain that this latter 4-piece lineup also played some US dates in '83/'84....(I'm pretty sure I have a recording of them from around then at the Bottom Line Club).

I certainly saw them in Bognor Regis in this period. Bruce, Peggy, Simon and Swarb. They had to restart one number, as Simon stopped and said, "I'll just wait for Swarb to get the last ounce of goodness out of that Capstan Full Strength".  Shocked

Paul

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 09:53:34 AM »

Thanks - interesting replies. I have a reasonably "lavish" programme from one of the mid-80's Swarb tours, but I had not realised that there was so much FC activity post-'79. Of course, about half of the Swarbrick & Nicol material at folk clubs came from FC, so even if you did not see the band itself you did need not have missed out totally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: