TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:54:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New RT album !  (Read 56838 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2015, 09:49:30 AM »

A really good album, but be sure to get the deluxe version. The bonustracks are worth it.

There's a case to be made that for long-time Thompy watchers the 'bonus' CD is arguably more interesting than the album proper.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2015, 10:40:41 AM »

Finally had the chance to listen to the album (though not yet the bonus EP). First impressions are that this has the potential to be regarded as on of RT's finest albums after repeated listens. My initial feel is it is his best, certainly since The Old Kit Bag, maybe since Mock Tudor.

I really love Jeff Tweedy's warm production, evoking Joe Boyd's work on on Bright Lights and Shoot. The guitar sound also largely seems to hark back to the pre Capitol era of Richard's work.

I am looking forward to further listenings and indeed the EP but mention of Mock Tudor reminds me that I must now get on with mowing the lawn!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2015, 08:27:01 PM »

Now there's a thing...

RT's new album had gone top 10!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/albums

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2015, 10:37:57 AM »

He made number 1 in the Irish chart....

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2015, 11:30:44 AM »

Arguably, ever since Amnesia, RT's almost been obliged to put a "radio-friendly potential hit record" on every album, e.g. Bathseba Smiles, She Said It Was Destiny, Good Things Happen To Bad People, etc.

One of the things I noticed about the new record is that he has not really done that this time round. There are several uptempo songs but nothing with quite that kind of feel or those kinds of big choruses. There are also no long songs with extended guitar workouts which have largely been a feature of his electric albums since Amnesia (with the possible exception of Rumor & Sigh).
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »

Arguably, ever since Amnesia, RT's almost been obliged to put a "radio-friendly potential hit record" on every album, e.g. Bathseba Smiles, She Said It Was Destiny, Good Things Happen To Bad People, etc.

One of the things I noticed about the new record is that he has not really done that this time round. There are several uptempo songs but nothing with quite that kind of feel or those kinds of big choruses. There are also no long songs with extended guitar workouts which have largely been a feature of his electric albums since Amnesia (with the possible exception of Rumor & Sigh).

Rumor & Sigh had Mother Knows Best, which is one of my favorite guitar workouts from him, though maybe not quite as extended as other ones.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2015, 01:03:41 PM »

Anyone spot the similarity in style of Pony in the Stable and Bring Me Back My Feathers on Myths and Heroes?

You'd almost think some of those musicians came from the same roots Wink
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »

Finally had the chance to listen to the album (though not yet the bonus EP). First impressions are that this has the potential to be regarded as on of RT's finest albums after repeated listens. My initial feel is it is his best, certainly since The Old Kit Bag, maybe since Mock Tudor.

I really love Jeff Tweedy's warm production, evoking Joe Boyd's work on on Bright Lights and Shoot. The guitar sound also largely seems to hark back to the pre Capitol era of Richard's work.

I am looking forward to further listenings and indeed the EP but mention of Mock Tudor reminds me that I must now get on with mowing the lawn!

A couple of plays now and I agree about the production, it's a great sounding album with mandolin making a welcome return. It reminds me of You, Me, Us which is fine in my book. I think it's a really good album but just a song short of being a classic, it needs a Beeswing/Vincent level masterpiece to really put it right up there with his best work.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »

Anyone spot the similarity in style of Pony in the Stable and Bring Me Back My Feathers on Myths and Heroes?

Interesting, and apt comparison that I had not noticed myself. Well spotted!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2015, 04:27:01 PM »

The Quietus' verdict is in... http://thequietus.com/articles/18278-richard-thompson-still-review

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2015, 04:42:06 PM »

"Despite his 20 years under the LA palm trees". Um, more like over 30 at this point!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »

"Despite his 20 years under the LA palm trees". Um, more like over 30 at this point!
Exactly 30, I fancy. He married Nancy in 1985 and moved permanently to California at that juncture. (Although he had been visiting for a couple of years beforehand)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »

I think it's a really good album but just a song short of being a classic, it needs a Beeswing/Vincent level masterpiece to really put it right up there with his best work.

Ah, now that is where we have to disagree, those two songs not being favourites of mine. I know it s a controversial view. I know that Vincent is now regarded as Richard's great classic and God knows I would love to hear Dylan's performance of it but they just don't do much for me.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »

I think it's a really good album but just a song short of being a classic, it needs a Beeswing/Vincent level masterpiece to really put it right up there with his best work.

Ah, now that is where we have to disagree, those two songs not being favourites of mine. I know it s a controversial view. I know that Vincent is now regarded as Richard's great classic and God knows I would love to hear Dylan's performance of it but they just don't do much for me.

Vincent, shminzent, I can do without it. But 'Beeswing' is special. But I don't count as a RT fan, properly.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »

Vincent, shminzent, I can do without it. But 'Beeswing' is special. But I don't count as a RT fan, properly.  

I'm more of a "Beeswing Schmeeswing but Vincent is special" kind of guy.   Cool

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2015, 09:28:34 AM »

As am I, very much.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »

Grin Cool
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:50 PM »

A really good album, but be sure to get the deluxe version. The bonustracks are worth it.

There's a case to be made that for long-time Thompy watchers the 'bonus' CD is arguably more interesting than the album proper.

Just wondered if, in light of the title of the ep "Variations", if anyone has figured out what songs each of these is a variation on yet?

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Hibbitt (Christer)

Loc: Stockholm

« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »

Yeah that's the way it is I think. The bonus cd is a bit more naked, a bit more guitar, a bit more nerve.  Smiley
The regular album is good but not a Classic. A little too similar to Electric.

Doctor Monk unpacks his trunk tonight
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »

It only struck me today that No Peace, No End has an air of Myths and Heroes about it. Lord only knows what might have transpired if RT had guested on that.  Fez

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: