TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:25:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New RT album !  (Read 56843 times)
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2015, 07:08:09 PM »

Pony in the Stable would have fit right in on Human Fly

I thought the same 5 minutes ago at the beginning of No peace no end
folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »

A really good album, but be sure to get the deluxe version. The bonustracks are worth it.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 07:19:20 PM »

A really good album, but be sure to get the deluxe version. The bonustracks are worth it.

Thanks for the tip, Alexander.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »

Yes, the bonus tracks are excellent. Too bad he didn't have a few more to make for a proper double album.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2015, 09:42:13 PM »

Seconded, I think the 'bonus' stuff is better than some of the 'proper' tracks to be honest.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »

Gutted!! Mine arrived this morning - but I seem to have ordered the 12" vinyl by mistake! So I won't be able to play it on my way home. It says there is a download available, but sadly my gadgets defeat me there, I always buy CDs and upload them from the computer. HELP!!!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:30 AM »

Gutted!! Mine arrived this morning - but I seem to have ordered the 12" vinyl by mistake! So I won't be able to play it on my way home. It says there is a download available, but sadly my gadgets defeat me there, I always buy CDs and upload them from the computer. HELP!!!

Maybe explain the problem and exchange it for the CD.  I'm sure it'll be possible.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:52 AM »

Sadly if you can't do downloads then there really isn't a lot of help available. As Jules says, get in contact with the vendor. You never know.

Playing my copy this morning. Rather good, at first listen.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »

David Hepworth's review in Q of RT's 1986 album Daring Adventures* :

"Daring Adventures has variety, melody, colour, drama, twisted humour, some of the best guitar playing likely to be heard this, or any other year, and occasionally the emotional force to pin you to the wall. It is, as I said, another Richard Thompson record."

Having finally given it a listen, these words could easily apply to his latest offering. The bonus cd's not bad either !

*as quoted in Patrick Humphries' Strange Affair biography - my stack of Q mags went to the great recycler in the sky years ago !
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »

David Hepworth's review in Q of RT's 1986 album Daring Adventures* :

"Daring Adventures has variety, melody, colour, drama, twisted humour, some of the best guitar playing likely to be heard this, or any other year, and occasionally the emotional force to pin you to the wall. It is, as I said, another Richard Thompson record."

Having finally given it a listen, these words could easily apply to his latest offering. The bonus cd's not bad either !

*as quoted in Patrick Humphries' Strange Affair biography - my stack of Q mags went to the great recycler in the sky years ago !

Interesting comparison. Had a proper listen to it a few more times this weekend. The bonus EP is actually excellent I thought, especially Don't Take It Lying Down, and worth the price of going for the deluxe edition IMHO. Guitar Heroes is just a lot of fun, and that backbeat on it is catchy.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 12:56:39 AM »

Patty Don't You Put Me Down really seems like a homage to the Stones/ The ringing guitar chord during the chorus really reminds me of Jumping Jack Flash, and the feedback at the end is very reminiscent of Have You Seen Your Mother Standing In The Shadow or Mother's Little Helper
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »

Pony in the Stable would have fit right in on Human Fly

Now that's got me interested!

Jules

You know, I was going to post almost exactly the same sentiment, but either forgot to or hit the wrong button. As I'v e said before, i haven't bought a new RT album since the '80s. Until very recently, at least, when i picked up Amnesia cheaply.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2015, 01:14:05 PM »

Probably why you forgot to hit the button. It's a contagious condition that Am....y'know.....thingy....it's on the tip of my tongue. I'll get it in a minute....er.....

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »

I love 'Guitar Hero's'. RT shows two fingers to just about anyone who thinks they can play guitar.

I think that track's rather got the feel of a one-note joke which is going to get a little wearing after a couple of listens. I'd rather it had appeared on the bonus disc.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 01:19:11 PM »

I love 'Guitar Hero's'. RT shows two fingers to just about anyone who thinks they can play guitar.

I think that track's rather got the feel of a one-note joke which is going to get a little wearing after a couple of listens. I'd rather it had appeared on the bonus disc.
I haven't tired of it yet after at least 10 listens - I keep hearing things I'd missed on previous listens.
But I don't play guitar so you probably have a different perspective from mine ... you likely heard all the things I'd missed by the second listen.  Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »

I am given to understand that my copy has been posted through my letterbox this morning and will be waiting for me when I get home.  Smiley

Though I am unlikely to get a chance to listen to it until Friday at the earliest.  Sad
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »

Interesting hearing him on Radio 4 this morning, who's the famous person he refused to meet because they blood on their hands - Blair?
Tony Smith

Loc: Oxton, Wirral

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2015, 10:07:39 PM »

Interesting hearing him on Radio 4 this morning, who's the famous person he refused to meet because they blood on their hands - Blair?

What program was that on?

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 03:47:43 AM »

What program was that on?

Midweek.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »

Probably why you forgot to hit the button. It's a contagious condition that Am....y'know.....thingy....it's on the tip of my tongue. I'll get it in a minute....er.....

Grin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: