TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:17:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395711 times)
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2021, 08:06:35 PM »

Beautiful Days has been fab so far. .
More to come!

Cheers
Nick

How were Headsticks?

No idea in afraid. We went for a Bimble to the Bimble Inn at that point.

Robin Once has just been magnificent, and The Skints were good and bouncy. Much of the rest of this afternoon I spent Axe Throwing though.

James vs The Lakeman's tonight.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2021, 12:21:28 AM »

I'll say this... The Lakeman Family Gathering were flippin' great!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #502 on: August 22, 2021, 11:42:56 AM »

Shrewsbury is fast approaching and I can say that the Stewards are as excited as the punters and the artists.

Weather looking good, too. Can't wait!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #503 on: August 22, 2021, 12:35:57 PM »

Hawkwind were exceptional! Hurry On Sundown..!

I see from my chum who's there that they've had another move around in the band...and Niall has had a push.  I was particularly surprised to hear that Thighpaulsandra (Cope, Coil etc etc) is playing keyboards with them.  Sounds bonkers but also like it worked.  Dave's 80th birthday too...insane!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #504 on: August 22, 2021, 07:57:01 PM »

Shrewsbury is fast approaching and I can say that the Stewards are as excited as the punters and the artists.

Weather looking good, too. Can't wait!

Me neither! See you there.  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #505 on: August 23, 2021, 12:07:46 AM »

My word!

Hot on the heals of Hawkwind, Van De Graaf Generator!

It has been one heck of a festival.

Cheers

Nick (worse for wear)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #506 on: August 23, 2021, 08:10:16 AM »

My word!

Cheers

Nick (worse for wear)

How were they?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #507 on: August 23, 2021, 05:36:43 PM »

My word!

Cheers

Nick (worse for wear)

How were they?

Ran into some attendees at Gloucester Services this morning with very muddy looking wellies, how bad was it?
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Block and Chip

« Reply #508 on: August 23, 2021, 06:38:40 PM »

Proper Devon mud...

Thursday and Friday were sunny and warm (shorts and sandals till gone midnight). It rained overnight on Saturday, a bit in the morning and a bit more in the late afternoon - we were expecting this though and it wasn't too bad. Sunday was back to being sunshine, though the mud does stick around for a while.

The down side to the festival this year : loos and bins. Both were lacking, and both were left too long between emptying. I gather the organisers struggled to get teams in place to look after these. I suspect it may have been a problem across many festivals this year. We coped, but would've preferred better.

I am completely unqualified to say how good VDGG were. I really enjoyed them, but knowing next to nothing about any of their material I have no idea if it was played well!  Undecided

I shall leave it to Slippy to comment more professionally.

Cheers

Nick

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #509 on: August 23, 2021, 07:02:59 PM »

Proper Devon mud...

Thursday and Friday were sunny and warm (shorts and sandals till gone midnight). It rained overnight on Saturday, a bit in the morning and a bit more in the late afternoon - we were expecting this though and it wasn't too bad. Sunday was back to being sunshine, though the mud does stick around for a while.

The down side to the festival this year : loos and bins. Both were lacking, and both were left too long between emptying. I gather the organisers struggled to get teams in place to look after these. I suspect it may have been a problem across many festivals this year. We coped, but would've preferred better.

I am completely unqualified to say how good VDGG were. I really enjoyed them, but knowing next to nothing about any of their material I have no idea if it was played well!  Undecided

Cheers

Nick

You'll be getting this though, Nick?  Of course you will... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charisma-Years-Boxset-Graaf-Generator/dp/B095N53JN6/ref=asc_df_B095N53JN6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=499439045021&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16036542435175967345&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045433&hvtargid=pla-1329590508180&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #510 on: August 23, 2021, 08:56:31 PM »

Proper Devon mud...

Cheers

Nick

It was my first time at BD, and agree that the lavvies were pretty grim. We stayed at the Holiday Inn express, and getting on and off site was a lot easier than Wickham, despite the mud! Music was fantastic, with my old favourites New Model Army delivering the goods once again. Bar Stewards were great fun, and once I got over the sonic shock of Skindred I really enjoyed them. Frank Turner was a kinetic ball of sheer enjoyment, and Levellers are a really class live act, and hope they play Cropredy again after their rather misjudged last performance (albeit beyond their control and with the best of intentions). Mark Chadwick was pretty emotional, and gave a heartfelt thanks to the crew and everyone involved in getting the festival over the line.

Overall a great festival, friendly people and lots to see and do. Good choice of food, and lots of reasonably priced veggie food. I will return!
William

« Reply #511 on: August 24, 2021, 09:25:50 PM »

Much of this chat seems to be about mud and toilets. On both counts FolkEast was exceptional. The toilet crew were well on top of their job, even the Chemical Disposal Point was frequently emptied. There was a little rain but less than forecast. Glemham Hall Estate is on light well draining land and rarely cuts up badly anyway.
A covid inspired reduced festival this year with only two stages, both outdoors, and smaller numbers in the crowd. Overall a very well organised compromise.
Musical highlights for me were Merry Hell and  The Young'uns, and of the minor acts Lizzy Hardingham was good value.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #512 on: August 31, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »

Proper Devon mud...

Cheers

Nick

Van Der Graaf were awesome.  Everything I was hoping for. Not seen them live before but I became a huge fan about 15 - 20 years ago.  Never liked them when I was younger (or Peter Hammill's solo stuff) which always used to be on the John Peel show.   The interplay was stunning. I totally understand why they are a 'Marmite' band but for me they were the highlight of the festival and one of the best gigs I've seen in many a year...
I think Nick was (how shall I put it) 'intrigued'..... Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Slippy
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #513 on: August 31, 2021, 03:55:27 PM »

Van Der Graaf were awesome.  Everything I was hoping for. Not seen them live before but I became a huge fan about 15 - 20 years ago.  Never liked them when I was younger (or Peter Hammill's solo stuff) which always used to be on the John Peel show.   The interplay was stunning. I totally understand why they are a 'Marmite' band but for me they were the highlight of the festival and one of the best gigs I've seen in many a year...
I think Nick was (how shall I put it) 'intrigued'..... Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Slippy

Sounds good.  I'm looking forward to seeing them next year (and the box set in a few weeks)  Smiley

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #514 on: August 31, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »

Shrewsbury Folk Festival was very good indeed, with open air stages approved of by most people I spoke with.

Show of Hands were augmented by Johnny Kalsi and gave a great show, easily surpassing their performance at NFFF.

The Longest Johns were essentially a sea shanty singing five-strong band. Lively and amusing on stage, they then went on to perform in the bar for another 3+ hours, until chucked out with everyone else at 3:30am.

Afro Celt's lead lady singer, Ríoghnach Connolly, starred with Band of Burns, a musical collective dedicated to Burns' poetry and putting them to song. They are worth a listen.

Another band I had not encountered before were FOS Brothers, again, well worth a listen.

The tiny Kate Rusby was on magnificent form too.

Seth Lakeman was indeed Seth Lakeman, again. With Benji Kirkpatrick in the band, it was a greatly enjoyable set of Seth Lakeman tune. (No, I'm not a fan of his music, but he is a nice chap.)

Stars of the weekend in many ways were undoubtedly The Young 'Uns who were funny, sad, passionate and proud. Their sea-shanty was in French! You have to hear Dave Eagle's tale of a German village that stopped a neo-Nazi festival dead by buying all the booze from the local shops.

Afro Celt Sound System were a bloody awesome way to finish the festival, with Johnny Kalsi again a terrific performer. But so were they all. They overran by 10 or so minutes and nobody cared.

Most of these performances were streamed live, they should be available on YouTube now.

* ACSS.jpg (376.22 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 815 times.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:20:07 PM by Andy » Logged

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #515 on: August 31, 2021, 06:54:58 PM »

I have just read a news article about the vast number of tents, sleeping bags etc left behind at Leeds Fest. While they will end up with a homeless charity which is a good thing, it enrages me that so many young people just throw things away, can't be bothered or, worse, think it is the 'cool' thing to do. This was starting at Cropredy when I stopped going.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #516 on: August 31, 2021, 07:19:17 PM »

I have just read a news article about the vast number of tents, sleeping bags etc left behind at Leeds Fest. While they will end up with a homeless charity which is a good thing, it enrages me that so many young people just throw things away, can't be bothered or, worse, think it is the 'cool' thing to do. This was starting at Cropredy when I stopped going.
Shrewsbury's site as we left this morning was immaculate.

Brian Green

« Reply #517 on: August 31, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »

We had a curious incident at a recently attended festival.
They use sturdy plastic pint pots for beer with a £2 returnable deposit paid to encourage reuse.
We left these in our camping area outside the tents along with chairs and other bits and pieces when we went for a walk to the local pub.
When we returned a few hours later all the pint pots had disappeared,everything else was as we left it.
Either someone keen to keep our area tidy or seeing the opportunity for a few £2 returns!
A lesson learned...
Both the festivals I attended this year operated a leave as you find policy and this was followed.
I think we realise it is only by the good grace of the landowners that their fields can be used ,leaving a mess will jeopardise future festivals.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #518 on: August 31, 2021, 10:22:29 PM »

Funny how the festivals attended by mainly older people experience less trouble with mess than those with a younger audience. Yet it is the young who moan at their elders about waste and global warming. Extinction bloody Rebellion create more mess than any of them. Here come the young.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #519 on: September 01, 2021, 12:36:45 AM »

Shrewsbury Folk Festival was very good, the clement weather helped a lot.
Oysterband and Show of Hands were as good as expected, two excellent sets from the old reliables.

Highlights of the weekend apart from the above two were Seckou Keita, Sheema Mukherjee and Sona Jabarteh. Plus a very good set from the Carrivicks, and a very enjoyable one from The Longest Johns. Pleasantly surprised by them. I eschewed Seth Lakeman, having seen him loads, and went to see Lindisfarne, who I've never seen. Bit dull, I thought. The hits were OK, but I regretted not watching Seth. Kate Rusby was good, with plenty of stories. Nice set from Edwina Hayes on Sunday, first time I'd seen her since Croppers 2005.

The new set-up worked well, congratulations to those who put it together, but I hope next year it will be back to normal.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: