TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:31:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Rubber Band' Single  (Read 8418 times)
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« on: June 15, 2014, 12:31:47 AM »

Hi, all! Was just curious for a little more info on the band's 1980 'Rubber Band' single. Did it receive much/any promotion when it was first released? Anybody know if it was released with a picture sleeve? Also (and I'm most curious on this), is the B-side of 'Bonny Black Hare' a re-recording by the 'Bonny Bunch'/'Tippler's Tales'-era band or just a re-release of the old 'Angel Delight' track?
DavidG

Loc: Bucks, UK

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:13:39 AM »

Hi, all! Was just curious for a little more info on the band's 1980 'Rubber Band' single. Did it receive much/any promotion when it was first released? Anybody know if it was released with a picture sleeve? Also (and I'm most curious on this), is the B-side of 'Bonny Black Hare' a re-recording by the 'Bonny Bunch'/'Tippler's Tales'-era band or just a re-release of the old 'Angel Delight' track?

Hi!

Can't remember much about the promotion of the single or if it had a picture sleeve (although I'd guess not). However, if I find it lurking in my disorganised record collection I'll tell you more!

So far as the B-side ('Bonny Black Hare') goes, the following site says that it was the live version from Farewell, Farewell ... that would make sense.

http://www.musicstack.com/album/fairport+convention/rubber+band

All the best.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

I'm pretty sure I remember listening to a couple of Fairport guys talking to a Radio 1 D.J about this,when it came out, waaaay before I got into them, while sitting in the car waiting for my dad to come out of the newsagent. I'd guess it was Richard Skinner on Newsbeat, but it was so long ago.
It was when I bought the Encore,Encore CD and heard it on there that I knew I'd heard it before, and that memory popped up. Pretty vague...

Well I never did..
Austin S

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »

Thanks for the info/memories, David & Mike!  Smiley It does indeed make sense that the B-side would be the 'Bonny Black Hare' from 'Farewell, Farewell,' as I suppose that would've been the most current album. I just adore this single (wish the band had recorded more Watersons songs) and am glad to learn a little more about it.
jonmuse

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:25:49 PM »

This is one of those FC tracks that when I first heard it I thought "HOW HORRIBLE!" only to set aside thinking I'd never listen to it again.  When revisiting it several years later I thought "That's really quite good"
arie

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »

My copy came without a picture sleeve and looks like this:

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »

One of those strange cover versions where you need to hear the original to make some sort of sense of the cover...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
arie

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »

One of those strange cover versions where you need to hear the original to make some sort of sense of the cover...

No problem for me  Wink

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »

Come on, now...nobody likes a show off  Wink Smiley

ps Nice.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Austin S

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »

Thanks for sharing those pics, Arie! Must admit I'm a bit jealous....  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: