TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:05:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A song that makes your heart sink?  (Read 81343 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »

Am I the only person who likes Bonny Bunch of Roses? I admit to preferring the Sandy version from the Liege & Lief sessions, but both are good.

I like the version on the album of the same name. It stretches the attention span somewhat, but it's worth it.  Cool
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

Not FC, but if I hear another cover version of Mr Cohen's "Hallelujah" I will wear an involuntary grimace for a day. Great song, but.....

I first heard it on a LC Documentary about Mr. Cohen- - it must have been in the '80s and there was some live footage. Fast forward a few years at least, and you couldn't turn around without hearing a cover version.

RAdio 4 did a documentary about that one song, and there were some awful versions. Jeff Buckley's is fine, though.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »

Not FC, but if I hear another cover version of Mr Cohen's "Hallelujah" I will wear an involuntary grimace for a day. Great song, but.....

I first heard it on a LC Documentary about Mr. Cohen- - it must have been in the '80s and there was some live footage. Fast forward a few years at least, and you couldn't turn around without hearing a cover version.

RAdio 4 did a documentary about that one song, and there were some awful versions. Jeff Buckley's is fine, though.

And so is John Cale's.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »

And so is John Cale's.

You've not lived until you've heard the synth-pop arrangement that I did for my A level Music Tech course. Truly, a masterpiece.  Roll Eyes

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2014, 07:14:43 AM »

You've not lived until you've heard the synth-pop arrangement that I did for my A level Music Tech course. Truly, a masterpiece.  Roll Eyes

Is your cover of Hallelujah available?

I have heard many. I liked Cohen's original, and Buckley's cover, but most others - Meh!

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2014, 07:33:14 AM »

Is your cover of Hallelujah available?

I have heard many. I liked Cohen's original, and Buckley's cover, but most others - Meh!

Bonus secret track on the new CD?

Happy mainly.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

I'll see if I still have the file somewhere, and I might pop it up on Soundcloud.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »

I'll see if I still have the file somewhere, and I might pop it up on Soundcloud.

Bring it on, Ollie!  Cool Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

Anything by French (so called) singer Daniel Balavoine. If you feel you might have some time that you are willing to lose, give a listen to it...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Herts Claire

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2014, 12:30:39 AM »

Now Be Thankful -   There was a YouTube clip some time ago which seems to have vanished, but was illustrated with pictures of medieval Christian martyrdom, people being broken on the wheel or tried in the fire. And the "red rose" was supposed to be Christ's blood.
Whatever, like many RT songs, we'll never know what's behind it, but must just appreciate - I do!
ddratb

Loc: New Jersey US of A

dave

« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »

Hmmm... am I the only person who puts "Tam Lin" at the head of the list? Huh   Have never gotten into this one.... must be the Yank in me !

This space available
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:43 AM »

'Travelling By Steam' on 'Jewel in the Crown' is (in my humble opinion) an awful song. I'm just glad I've never heard it done live. I also think that the album, although generally pretty good, contains some other awful duffers too ('London Danny', 'Home is Where the Heart Is', for example).

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2014, 10:24:09 AM »

'Travelling By Steam' on 'Jewel in the Crown' is (in my humble opinion) an awful song. I'm just glad I've never heard it done live. I also think that the album, although generally pretty good, contains some other awful duffers too ('London Danny', 'Home is Where the Heart Is', for example).

Completely agree with you about London Danny. The other two are interesting. I don't like them by Fairport either but like them very much by their original authors, Huw Williams in the case of the former and Clive Gregson in the case of the latter. Indeed I think Home Is Where The Heart Is is one of Gregson's finest songs but it should be heard like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E64PxV3cEFU
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »

As the modern youngsters would say 'OH EMM GEE!'

That is a totally different experience, what a great song when sung in that stripped down style. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, Al.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2014, 11:54:22 PM »

Completely agree with you about London Danny. The other two are interesting. I don't like them by Fairport either but like them very much by their original authors, Huw Williams in the case of the former and Clive Gregson in the case of the latter. Indeed I think Home Is Where The Heart Is is one of Gregson's finest songs but it should be heard like this:

"home" is one of those songs that for me sounds like Simon sang it for a 45 rpm but played it on a 33 rpm - love the song but just sounds laboured on JITC.

DW
PeterW

Loc: Cumbria

« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2014, 10:48:23 AM »

"home" is one of those songs that for me sounds like Simon sang it for a 45 rpm but played it on a 33 rpm - love the song but just sounds laboured on JITC.

DW

Isn't London Danny a Jez Lowe song?  Some songs don't benefit from the 'big band' treatment and the stripped down versions are often far more engaging.

While you are busy laughing at us you don't know what we are doing behind your back.
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »

Another vote for Hiring Fair. I like so much of Ralph's stuff but this has always left me cold.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
paul bond 59

Loc: Lincolnshire

« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »

For my own part I don't think there is a FC song that's inclusion makes my heart sink. If anything it's some of the ones that they omit that make my heart yearn . Dangerous was given an airing at Cropredy with Maart as part of the line up and I quite took to it afterwards in a way that I hadn't previously. I'd like to hear Golden Glove included in the set at some stage.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:19 PM »

i think my particular loathing of the hiring fair is well known

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: