TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:03:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A song that makes your heart sink?  (Read 81339 times)
David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2014, 10:31:56 PM »

I don't like any of it and I particularly don't like the Bette Midler's version, and don't even get me started on that affront to the ears Wind Beneath My Wings. Double yuk!

Like the opening bars from Eastenders, this song gets me racing to the tv/radio to turn it off!!  Angry
I remember going to Comedy Night at the Teenage Cancer Trust season with Peter Kay compering.  He came on as brian Potter in his wheelchair and sang The Wind Beneath My Wheels.  I have never heard the song any other way since
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2014, 12:33:50 AM »

I don't like any of it and I particularly don't like the Bette Midler's version, and don't even get me started on that affront to the ears Wind Beneath My Wings. Double yuk!

Like the opening bars from Eastenders, this song gets me racing to the tv/radio to turn it off!!  Angry
I remember going to Comedy Night at the Teenage Cancer Trust season with Peter Kay compering.  He came on as brian Potter in his wheelchair and sang The Wind Beneath My Wheels.  I have never heard the song any other way since
A perfect send up Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:24 AM »

Well, if we're going to move on to songs not by tge Fairport bunch, can I include that Roy Orbison classic, Crying, which I used to love, but now whenever I hear it all I can hear is Philip Pope on Only Fools an Norses singing "Cwying"!  Cry

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2014, 05:19:27 AM »

No please let's at least attempt to keep it Fairport related  Grin

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2014, 11:53:25 AM »

I really don't get all the love for A Sailor's Life. The first time I heard it, it was June Tabor's infamous "interpretation" at Cropredy from the "It All Comes Round Again" VHS, and I had to wind it on. I haven't been able to get into it since, it's just an interminable drone to me.

Sloth similarly has me mentally switching off and hoping that the next song will be better. And, if I'm honest, so do most of the songs from 1997 onwards (and I've not heard Sense of Occasion or The Festival Bell). There are a few standouts, but I think the best track they've done in the last 15 years is The Heart Of The Song, nothing else comes close for me. The last FC album that I can really say I like without reservation is Old New Borrowed Blue.

Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2014, 12:02:20 PM »

Rosie. Never liked the song. Sorry Swarb
I just find it twee and it brings back memories of the lousy tv prog for which it was the theme music.
Why would a policeman want to 'rosin up his bow?' Smiley

FWIW, Swarb's Rosie wasn't used for the TV sitcom Rosie. It had its own theme song, written and sung by Paul Greenwood (who also starred as PC "Rosie" Penrose). All four series of it are on YouTube if you want to revel in limp sitcom nostalgia and confirm for yourself Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »

I really don't get all the love for A Sailor's Life. The first time I heard it, it was June Tabor's infamous "interpretation" at Cropredy from the "It All Comes Round Again" VHS, and I had to wind it on. I haven't been able to get into it since, it's just an interminable drone to me.

I didn't either for a long time. I started to change my mind when I heard the Swarbless version on RT's Watching The Dark anthology but the scales really fell from my eyes when Fairport 1969 played it at their showcase at the Barbican a few years back. A blistering, spellbinding performance and one of the live highlights of my life.
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »

I think we would be an odd lot if we liked all the songs in th FCC repertoire.. Bonny Bunch of Roses is my weak track.
Thank heaven for our own choice option.... Grin
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »

Am I the only person who likes Bonny Bunch of Roses? I admit to preferring the Sandy version from the Liege & Lief sessions, but both are good.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2014, 03:45:22 PM »

It wasnt the best way to discover the song with June searching for a tune and failing horribly.Iit's bound to put you off it, whereas i am in the happy band that heard it first on Unhalfbricking and consider it to be  one of the finest 13 minutes ever committed to vinyl.

The Dude abides
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »

I'll happily second Al and Jim on this. First heard at Bradford Uni, live, and it was absolutely amazing. Then it was there on Unhalfbricking, reminding me of Bradford... Something very special.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »

Am I the only person who likes Bonny Bunch of Roses? I admit to preferring the Sandy version from the Liege & Lief sessions, but both are good.

I like it.  never heard a Sandy version though.  Are you sure, Ollie?  There was a 1970 outtake on the expanded Full House, but that had Swarb singing.  It's the best version I've heard.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »

I like it.  never heard a Sandy version though.  Are you sure, Ollie?  There was a 1970 outtake on the expanded Full House, but that had Swarb singing.  It's the best version I've heard.

Jules

I agree on the Gold Star Sessions cut. I'd love to be surprised by a Sandy version, though!!!

Until this past Wednesday (no kidding), I really didn't like the version of "Bonny Bunch" on the "BBOR" album and had kind of forsaken the whole album because of it. I got a hankering for 'new (to me)' Fairport, though, and ended up finishing the album out (the only side of pre-80s Fairport I haven't heard). Ended up enjoying the whole album a LOT and have a little more appreciation for the title track.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »

Jules

That's the one that I meant. Brain f**t, sorry.  Roll Eyes

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »

I figured as much.  Hell, we all have 'em (especially us older guys).

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2014, 09:14:11 PM »

Jules

Well I read this, too, and thought nothing odd about it. In fact I'd convinced myself how much the Sandy version of Bonny Bunch was one of my favourites and how I loved listening to it on the end of L&L, even though it doesn't exist. Our brains can mess with us sometimes...

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »

Jules

Well I read this, too, and thought nothing odd about it. In fact I'd convinced myself how much the Sandy version of Bonny Bunch was one of my favourites and how I loved listening to it on the end of L&L, even though it doesn't exist. Our brains can mess with us sometimes...

I think we may have both been getting the FH version of Bonny Bunch of Roses mixed up with The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood, which is on the extended edition of L&L. Both tracks have a similar feel.

Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2014, 10:51:49 PM »

Jules

I think we may have both been getting the FH version of Bonny Bunch of Roses mixed up with The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood, which is on the extended edition of L&L. Both tracks have a similar feel.

yes, you're right of course

Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2014, 06:57:48 AM »

It is funny how one's taste changes over the years, some songs I used to love I now can't listen to anymore and as far as Fairport is concerned it are only the long instrumental parts of songs like A sailor's life, Matty Groves, Tam Lin and Sloth but I still do love the vocal part of the songs.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »

Not FC, but if I hear another cover version of Mr Cohen's "Hallelujah" I will wear an involuntary grimace for a day. Great song, but.....

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: