TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:11:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy's biography by Mick Houghton  (Read 55165 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 03:50:40 PM »

I missed the Clive James/Pete Atkin link first time around - really glad to have caught it now.
Apologies for going off topic, but I think I need to listen to some of their musical collaborations again - with a sideways critical ear in the light of the article. Clive's own take on modern/timeless language is always worthy of consideration!

I'm a long time fan, and I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of interest in Pete and Clive on this forum. Perhaps they just aren't 'folky' enough? Have you heard Midnight Voices CD? It revives a set of old songs.

Back on topic please and start a new one if you like.
(You haven't noticed what it says under my avatar?)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 01:56:44 PM »

booked - see you there.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 02:19:08 PM »

I missed the Clive James/Pete Atkin link first time around - really glad to have caught it now.
Apologies for going off topic, but I think I need to listen to some of their musical collaborations again - with a sideways critical ear in the light of the article. Clive's own take on modern/timeless language is always worthy of consideration!

I'm a long time fan, and I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of interest in Pete and Clive on this forum. Perhaps they just aren't 'folky' enough? Have you heard Midnight Voices CD? It revives a set of old songs.

Back on topic please and start a new one if you like.
(You haven't noticed what it says under my avatar?)

Understood Colin.

I didn't notice your motto.  8)I was gonna choose 'In the clear at barely 55' for mine  but it's rapidly gone out of date.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 10:24:24 AM »

Guardian review here.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/feb/18/ive-always-kept-unicorn-sandy-denny-biography-review

Happy mainly.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 11:08:20 AM »

Swarb rates it.

The Dude abides
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »

Swarb rates it.

There's a first time for everything. Wink
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »

That has whet my appetite even more - a concise and intelligent review.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 12:10:56 PM »

Thanks for posting. - -A good review.  Cool
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »

To me it reads as 90% biography and 10% review.
It hardly seems to mention the book.

(Somebody once said to me that they could do a concise Sandy Denny biography - "She could be petulant".)  

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »

...and in contrast she could be petillant!

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »

...and in contrast she could be petillant!

Excellent. I shall use that, although I'll have to pick my audience.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »

Can't see this link (apologies if already posted), but if you want a signed copy

https://www.burningshed.com/store/sandydenny/collection/469/add/6457/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 01:41:30 AM »

Another launch for the Sandy book, this time on the 5th of March at Kingston School of Art, where she and John Renbourn were both students.  It’s free, but you have to register if you want to go
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/art-school-counterculture-tickets-15532252385
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »

I did buy the book this afternoon. In his foreword Richard Thompson writes that he deeply regrets that she is not better known today and this became quite apparent this afternoon when I tried to buy the book. I first went to the largest Waterstones store on Piccadilly, there I first looked at the new music  titles but didn't see it, went to the third floor but also could not find it. Finally I asked a staff member who looked it up in the computer and said that they got 10 copies last Saturday but they were probably still on the ground floor. Had another look there but did not see it, again I asked a staff member. When I said her name he said "wasn't she with Sonic Youth?", no she was not, "what was her name again?" Sandy Denny, "can you spell that?". He then did go to see if the book was among the new music titles (where I already had been), of course he could not find it as well. He asked me the title again (I've always kept a unicorn), when he heard this he went to have a look at the new Fantasy/Science Fiction titles (which amused me). It also was not there, he was puzzled by it and just gave up. God alone knows where they placed it, maybe the Natural History department

Later I did go the the Waterstones store near Trafalger Square. Had a look at the new music titles on the ground floor but nothing so went to the basement and had a look at the music books there but also nothing. Asked a staff member and he told me it was on the ground floor but again I could not find it. Again asked a staf member and she also had a look at the new music titles, when I was standing next to her I finally saw the book, it was on the bottom shelf between biographies of politicians. Sad as it may seem, younger people just do not know who she was.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 11:23:40 PM »

Frankly, not all that surprising. A niche market within a niche market. As to the title, well, whimsy has its place I suppose and yes, I know it's a quote, but even so, a more straightforward title may have made it easier for bookstores to place correctly.

She has been dead for 37 years so practically no-one under 50 will have heard of her outside of the folkosphere. Even mention of Battle Of Evermore draws blank looks from those who think that Led Zep IV was Stairway.... or worse, the ever-larger numbers of people for whom Led Zeppelin (and Sandy Denny) represent their grandparents' music.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:34:43 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 08:09:07 AM »

Frankly, not all that surprising. A niche market within a niche market. As to the title, well, whimsy has its place I suppose and yes, I know it's a quote, but even so, a more straightforward title may have made it easier for bookstores to place correctly.

She has been dead for 37 years so practically no-one under 50 will have heard of her outside of the folkosphere. Even mention of Battle Of Evermore draws blank looks from those who think that Led Zep IV was Stairway.... or worse, the ever-larger numbers of people for whom Led Zeppelin (and Sandy Denny) represent their grandparents' music.

And the even larger number ( I work with a load of them) who say "Led who?"  Sad

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jay Peter
any noun can be verbed

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 10:16:33 AM »

I wouldn't be so worried about whether they've heard of her, what would give me a problem is their complete inability to categorise and then find, their stock. There's never a shortage of "shock horror teens think Churchill is an insurance company" stories. They just haven't had time to acquire much information.

And they're mostly daft as a brush or asleep, or both.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »

Can't see this link (apologies if already posted), but if you want a signed copy

https://www.burningshed.com/store/sandydenny/collection/469/add/6457/

Better still, today's launch at the Troubadour
http://fabersocial.co.uk/2015/01/a-night-of-sandy-denny/ - now sold out - but if you look down the right hand side in Recent Tweets, there's this....

Mick Houghton and Georgia Lucas (Sandy Denny's daughter) will be signing books at @TroubadourLDN launch tomorrow night #sandydenny #fairport, 18 hours ago - See more at: http://fabersocial.co.uk/2015/01/a-night-of-sandy-denny/#sthash.TumwS5sR.dpuf

Doors at 7 - see you (& her) there.

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

Two other launch events in the London area, where you can pick up signed copies. I assume Georgia will be at both:

Kingston Museum on Thursday 5th: http://www.archiveksa.org/sandy-denny-sketches/
The Slaughtered Lamb on Monday 9th http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/special-fairport-convention-and-sandy-denny-evening-with-simon-nicol-ashley-hutchings-and-mick-tickets-15776216087

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »

My copy has just arrived.....huzzah!  Smiley

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: