TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy's biography by Mick Houghton  (Read 55162 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »

Around half way though this now and enjoying it. The whole London folk scene really intrigues me and I'd like to read a whole book just dedicated to this (maybe one exists?). Also, it's once again striking just how much Fairport achieved between and including their debut and Full House. Astonishing.

Lots of touching moments so far, a few surprises, and thoughts of 'what might have been'.

Good book, well written. I haven't read any other Sandy biographies, but this does seem quite balanced, sometimes offering differing, often contradictory viewpoints from Sandy's friends and colleagues.

And its got me listening to a bit more Sandy, and Fotheringay, so that's no bad thing.

I don't know if there is a book dedicated to just the London folk scene of the 60s, but there is quite a bit about it in J.P. Bean's Singing From the Floor, which I would heartily recommend.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2015, 03:18:08 PM »

I'll be talking to Mick Houghton and Pete Paphides on Pete's radio show on SohoRadio next Tuesday lunchtime  Cheesy

http://www.sohoradiolondon.com/

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
peter m

« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »

'A good book well written'. I agree. Also sympathetically written and yet retaining a good balance. To some extent this is achieved through quotation from many of those who knew and worked with Sandy. I thought one of the impressive things was the number of people who helped the author which made  for a well-rounded portrait.

What did I learn about the music and words which were new insights? Not much. In fact I think Philip Ward's book is almost a companion volume to this. It strikes me writing about performance art is not a terribly easy thing to do and what we don't get from Mick Houghton's book is why 1% think she is the best ever, while 99% have never heard of her and whether it could ever have been different. RT says an interesting thing ---that folk songs tend not to be constructed with hooks in them and writing in that way is limiting in terms of reaching a broader audience. A lot of Sandy's best songs don't really have choruses, they are a series of verses.

Probably rubbish on my part, but food for thought in Houghton's book.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »

Here's a blog that explains her songwriting....

http://www.nbnewman.blogspot.co.il/2015/04/sandy-denny-songwriting-and-production.html

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Yet more coverage for the new biography: BBC Radio 6 Music last Thursday. The second hour of this programme was devoted to Sandy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pmp85
(It actually starts at 53' with a couple of cover versions.)

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »

Here is a link to Mick and me talking to Pete Paphides on Soho Radio this afternoon...

https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/pete-paphides-14042015/

we are nattering from the first part of the second hour Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »

Here is a link to Mick and me talking to Pete Paphides on Soho Radio this afternoon...

https://www.mixcloud.com/sohoradio/pete-paphides-14042015/

we are nattering from the first part of the second hour Cheesy

Just given this a listen...lovely interview  Smiley
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2015, 09:54:19 AM »

Around half way though this now and enjoying it. The whole London folk scene really intrigues me and I'd like to read a whole book just dedicated to this (maybe one exists?). Also, it's once again striking just how much Fairport achieved between and including their debut and Full House. Astonishing.

Lots of touching moments so far, a few surprises, and thoughts of 'what might have been'.

Good book, well written. I haven't read any other Sandy biographies, but this does seem quite balanced, sometimes offering differing, often contradictory viewpoints from Sandy's friends and colleagues.

And its got me listening to a bit more Sandy, and Fotheringay, so that's no bad thing.

Try 'Dazzling Stranger' Colin Irwin's book on Bert Jansch. I read this awhile back but seem to recall  afir bit of stuff on that scene...it may even allude to it in a subtitle that momentarily escapes me....

Cheers,

Slippy
 Cool
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »

Try 'Dazzling Stranger' Colin Irwin's book on Bert Jansch. I read this awhile back but seem to recall a fair bit of stuff on that scene...it may even allude to it in a subtitle that momentarily escapes me....

The full title is Dazzling Stranger - Bert Jansch and the British Folk and Blues Revival. A really good read I remember, still hoping to track down a hardback copy one of these days.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »

Try 'Dazzling Stranger' Colin Irwin's book on Bert Jansch. I read this awhile back but seem to recall a fair bit of stuff on that scene...it may even allude to it in a subtitle that momentarily escapes me....

The full title is Dazzling Stranger - Bert Jansch and the British Folk and Blues Revival. A really good read I remember, still hoping to track down a hardback copy one of these days.

Thanks Col and Al, I have read that one, might be due a re-read.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:56 AM »

It's a good read - there's that sense of regret as you realise you're working toward the last chapters and the sad, inevitable end of the story, but there's a good deal of background about the scene, if not quite so much forensic detail as in at least one of the cited unpublished biographies. Then again, some folk prefer it that way.  

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: