TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 11:03:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014  (Read 210212 times)
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #380 on: September 12, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »

Oh Lord have mercy....now that is a very, er, interesting sentence to use about Cropredy...

Even if you think Fairport tend to coast these days, they sure up their game for Cropredy.  Maybe if From The Jam brought out that cantankerous old git from Woking who can't sing very well to guest on guitar, it would help matters somewhat.   Grin

Jules

I suggested him on about Page 4 of this thread.

However on second thoughts it could be dangerous! If Steve Gibbons hapens to be there at the same time and they meet up then the coming together of all that 'cool' could have untold effects.

The whole of North Oxfordshire might freeze over into one big glacier! Grin
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #381 on: September 12, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »

Anyway, my opinion is that suggesting such outfits for Croppers is aiming way too low.  I'd much rather listen to somebody new than someone coasting on former glories.

Jules

Oh Lord have mercy....now that is a very, er, interesting sentence to use about Cropredy...

I'm not sure that is really fair if it is a reference to Fairport. I think the one thing they try very hard not to do is be their own tribute band or coast on former glories which is why they keep producing new material and why that material forms the backbone of their set, at least on tour. We may not regard those songs as highly as the vintage stuff but the band at least are always trying to move forward, not look back.

With regard to the earlier posts about the current touring version of 10cc being a tribute band, I am not sure that is quite right either. They feature three members who have long been associated with the group, albeit only one original member. But that original member was one of the main songwriters. A nostalgia act possibly but not a tribute band.

As for tribute bands at Cropredy, the precedent has long since been set, ever since The Bootleg Beatles headlined the Friday night in 1990.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #382 on: September 12, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »

However on second thoughts it could be dangerous! If Steve Gibbons hapens to be there at the same time and they meet up then the coming together of all that 'cool' could have untold effects.

I've seen Steve Gibbons around Birmingham many times.  He has often appeared to be somewhat the worse for drink.  He has never seemed to me to be in any way "cool".....though not for want of trying.   Roll Eyes

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #383 on: September 12, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »

I know tribute acts aren't everybody's cup of tea, but I quite like them. If you're going to have one though, why not the very best...The Musical Box. I've seen them a couple of times and they really are amazing (if you like Gabriel era Genesis) - it's almost like having a time machine.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #384 on: September 12, 2013, 02:40:43 PM »

What was the hit that Steve Gibbons had back in the day? its driving me potty trying to remember it
Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #385 on: September 12, 2013, 02:42:29 PM »

Tulane !!

Cheers Nigel
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #386 on: September 12, 2013, 02:49:28 PM »

I've seen Steve Gibbons around Birmingham many times.  He has often appeared to be somewhat the worse for drink.  He has never seemed to me to be in any way "cool".....though not for want of trying.   Roll Eyes

Jules

He always looks rather dapper on stage with the Dylan Project or dare I say it standing at the Cropredy bar!
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #387 on: September 12, 2013, 03:20:10 PM »

Tulane !!

Cheers Nigel

thats the one. Think I saw him back in the day....obviously made an impression as I can barely recall it.
vanessa

« Reply #388 on: September 12, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »

I know tribute acts aren't everybody's cup of tea, but I quite like them. If you're going to have one though, why not the very best...The Musical Box. I've seen them a couple of times and they really are amazing (if you like Gabriel era Genesis) - it's almost like having a time machine.

Exactly!  Add Aussie Floyd (if they are still about?) Cosmic Charlies, Rolling Stoned and Bootleg Beatles to that list and I don't think there is much to complain about.

A bit of fun for those who like that sort of thing and a shopping opportunity/trip to the fringe for those that don't. Simples.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »

Exactly!  Add Aussie Floyd (if they are still about?) Cosmic Charlies, Rolling Stoned and Bootleg Beatles to that list and I don't think there is much to complain about.

A bit of fun for those who like that sort of thing and a shopping opportunity/trip to the fringe for those that don't. Simples.

Not really that 'simples'.  If cover/tribute bands become the acceptable norm, then I would argue that this does irreparable damage to original talent and any available audience they may have.  These sort of acts are fine in their place, and many are most enjoyable, but having them as major attractions at a legendary music festival is, to my mind, wrong-headed.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
vanessa

« Reply #390 on: September 12, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »

I don't think an occasional slot by a quality tribute act is going to damage anything.

I also don't think it has or ever will become the norm.

I am never going to have the chance to see Pink Floyd so is to have a taste of what that might be like such a bad thing? And if so why not at Cropredy?

Remember we are not talking about my local karaoke pub singer doing Robbie Williams!

It really is not the thin edge of the wedge.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #391 on: September 12, 2013, 10:07:39 PM »

Not really that 'simples'.  If cover/tribute bands become the acceptable norm, then I would argue that this does irreparable damage to original talent and any available audience they may have.  These sort of acts are fine in their place, and many are most enjoyable, but having them as major attractions at a legendary music festival is, to my mind, wrong-headed.

Jules

Bootleg Beatles years ago - great, Muffin Men - great, Legend - great, Dylan Project great

I will never see the originals but welcome the chance to hear their music live.

DW
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #392 on: September 12, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »

Blue Tapestry.....didn't go that year though,so a return booking would be nice.

Well I never did..
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #393 on: September 13, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »

Blue Tapestry.....didn't go that year though,so a return booking would be nice.

I was there, and they were very nice. Half-way between the stage and the bar, my friends and I were going: 'Ooh! Was that one of hers as well? Whose? Joni's or Carole's? Never mind - what's this one? Whose round is it?' And so on...

And it really was lovely, but it was (very talented) filler. I agree with Jules that - with so much new stuff out there - it's great to be exposed to new bands at every opportunity. And - Heaven knows - anyone trying to make a go of it in music these days needs all the help they can get.

I should add that, as a card carrying old git, I saw The Musical Box play the whole of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway recently and it was brilliant. But hardly a sell-out... (Empire, Shepherd's Bush)

So, I can see the appeal of tribute acts for the Cropredy crowd, but Undecided

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #394 on: September 13, 2013, 08:07:56 AM »

Deacon Blue

And they're not a tribute band  Roll Eyes they're not cashing in or playing for oiyks at Butlins. They write their own stuff apart from the odd Bacharach or Beatles cover. They're still making records. Nearly all of the original band members are there.

I can already hear the Cropredy crowd singing along to Dignity...  Cheesy  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #395 on: September 13, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »

Deacon Blue

And they're not a tribute band  Roll Eyes they're not cashing in or playing for oiyks at Butlins. They write their own stuff apart from the odd Bacharach or Beatles cover. They're still making records. Nearly all of the original band members are there.

Real Gone Kid too - daaah-dah-dah-dah-dah dah WOOO-OOO,WOOO-OOO,WOO-OOO.Just like I did at Glasto sometime in the last century.Class band.

Well I never did..
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #396 on: September 13, 2013, 09:22:49 AM »

Deacon Blue

that would be great
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #397 on: September 13, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

Deacon Blue

It would certainly make my task of persuading my wife to make a return trip to Cropredy a whole lot easier!

that would be great
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »

Sorry to say, just about the only thing I've heard by them was Real Gone Kid. So for me, they wouldn't work. But I will happily admit that Real Gone Kid would be one of my top three records of 1988...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »

Deacon Blue

I was a big fan of them in the 80s and I saw them live once. I must admit I haven't played much of their stuff recently. I still think Raintown is a great album though and some of their singles are really good sing-a-longs.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: