TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 10:12:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014  (Read 210198 times)
Martyn H
I did have a go with a Jackie

Loc: West Yorkshire

« Reply #140 on: August 19, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

Just had a quick Google...so it looks like if you ask for Wishbone Ash, you'll get Andy Powell. But he did seem to be reluctant to do much old Ash stuff beyond 'Blowin' Free'. Maybe he does see it like Fairport, as a current and valid act going forward and yes it does look like a proper band. But I'd have thought people going to see him would want to hear more of the old stuff...even more so than with Fairport! Which is where Martin Turner pops up.  Tongue

http://www.wishboneash.co.uk/default.aspx
http://wishboneash.com/band/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »

Just had a quick Google...so it looks like if you ask for Wishbone Ash, you'll get Andy Powell. But he did seem to be reluctant to do much old Ash stuff beyond 'Blowin' Free'.

I saw them about 18 months ago, around the time the album came out and they played plenty of old stuff then, though not necessarily the obvious choices. The set was probably 65 percent pre 1980 with at least 3 Argus cuts included but that was during a 2 hour show.
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2013, 08:57:41 PM »

Has anyone suggested Le Vent du Nord yet?

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Martyn H
I did have a go with a Jackie

Loc: West Yorkshire

« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »

Seem to remember Gower mentioning them LOUDLY earlier on!  Grin
Wisbone (Andy Powell) are on at Holmfirth Picturedrome in October, may have to go and have a butchers then.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2013, 10:20:12 PM »

With regards to keeping the peace i am refraining from commenting on Andy Powells wishbone ash when they were at cropredy
i'll just say lumpen

The Dude abides
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »

Wisbone (Andy Powell) are on at Holmfirth Picturedrome in October, may have to go and have a butchers then.

I shall speak softly, then, and carry a BIG STICK!

Yes to Wishbone ash too

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:17 AM »

Oh yes! Le Vent du Nord cannot have enough recommendations as far as I am concerned.  Fez Tiara They are fabulous!

That's not dirt, it's patination!
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2013, 06:24:06 AM »

Christy Moore for the pre FC slot on Saturday night...................................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:43 AM »

Christy Moore for the pre FC slot on Saturday night...................................

This is a guy who headlines Cambridge Folk festival...and who sells out concert halls throughout the land(s).  Is't that slot reserved for artists who might just about fill The Robin 2?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Simon Withers

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »

There is always Bad Moon Rising (tribute band to CCR)...featuring DM...is there any excuse required to get DM to play at Cropredy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7pDE5CiDI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:31 AM »

There is always Bad Moon Rising (tribute band to CCR)...featuring DM...is there any excuse required to get DM to play at Cropredy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7pDE5CiDI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If we're going down that route, there's always Creedence Clearwater Revisited (CCR without John Fogerty), Fogerty himself (saw him at Hyde Park last year before Springsteen, excellent), or down here in Portsmouth there's a local tribute band called Creedence Clearwater Revival Revival  Smiley
Simon Withers

« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »

...are there any Fairport tribute bands? at this moment in time it has never occurred to me to go looking for one/them...if there is no such act and you wished to form one...what would you call your Fairport tribute band? (May be a case for a different topic...excuse a momentary break in the thread).
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »

...are there any Fairport tribute bands? at this moment in time it has never occurred to me to go looking for one/them...if there is no such act and you wished to form one...what would you call your Fairport tribute band? (May be a case for a different topic...excuse a momentary break in the thread).

Don't think there are any, are there?

If there was, they'd be very '67-'79ish and would have to be called Fotheringport Confusion.  I normally wake up just around the time I've come offstage with them.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:59 PM »

This is a guy who headlines Cambridge Folk festival...and who sells out concert halls throughout the land(s).  Is't that slot reserved for artists who might just about fill The Robin 2?

Yeah - but he'd be somebody worth listening to in that slot - although I'd be quite happy to see him headline THurs or Fri.................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »

Don't think there are any, are there?

If there was, they'd be very '67-'79ish and would have to be called Fotheringport Confusion.  I normally wake up just around the time I've come offstage with them.

Airport Contention played at Acorn Fayre in 2009 (Possibly) and were very good as I recall.  Smiley

Happy mainly.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »

Wasn't there one called Meet on the Ledge? I remember seeing them at a pub in Brum about 15 years ago. For some reason my memory is suggesting they appeared at Cropredy as well, but I'm not sure how reliable it is in this case.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »

Wasn't there one called Meet on the Ledge? I remember seeing them at a pub in Brum about 15 years ago. For some reason my memory is suggesting they appeared at Cropredy as well, but I'm not sure how reliable it is in this case.

Not a tribute band except in name afaik - decent folk rock band though.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

Featuring the lovely Marion Fleetwood of Colvin Quarmby fame (and occasional wife of Pastiboy!)

Not a tribute band except in name afaik - decent folk rock band though.

Happy mainly.
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2013, 07:03:49 PM »

Meet On The Ledge were on second on the Thursday night of 2003 after CQ actually, this was before Marion and Allen from MOTL both joined CQ, very hot year!

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2013, 07:40:19 PM »

There seem to be a lot of calls for Madness and I'd join in on that one. If they could get into the spirit of the place I think it would be a good one for crowd and band alike.
Dreadzone have a new CD and tour out on September so I'd bet 1/2 a pint of 6X on them.
A good call for Shooglenifty and The Imagined Village too.
On the not very-well known-front it would be good to prise Green Diesel out of the SE corner of the country too.

Now for my perennial call for the overlooked finely crafted songs, story-telling, wit, honesty, and vocal agility of....Mr Colin Hay. I caught his show at Leic Uni earlier this year and he's brilliant. I do think he'd surprise a few people with the quality of his work.

ADDED: Another great story-telling musician with a huge range, fantastic voice and a great presence; step forward Cerys Matthews...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:58:01 PM by clive » Logged

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: