TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:58:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2014  (Read 207439 times)
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2013, 11:49:03 PM »

Forgot to mention:

Skinny Lister and The Albion Band Smiley

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2013, 09:44:59 AM »

To some extent it doesn't matter,today I've put it my leave request for next August  Fez

Happy mainly.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »

but IMHO they would bore a Cropredy audience to tears, unless given specific instructions to play the "pre-1990 hits that a general non fan-based audience would want to hear" i.e. Kayleigh, Lavender, Garden Party, Incommunicado, etc... Fish plays all that stuff in his shows, the current Marillion don't always go there...

I have sat through Man, ISB, The Strawbs, and Mostly Autumn in past years. Marillion would have to go some to be more boring than those  Wink

RUN......
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »

but IMHO they would bore a Cropredy audience to tears, unless given specific instructions to play the "pre-1990 hits that a general non fan-based audience would want to hear" i.e. Kayleigh, Lavender, Garden Party, Incommunicado, etc... Fish plays all that stuff in his shows, the current Marillion don't always go there...

I have sat through Man, ISB, The Strawbs, and Mostly Autumn in past years. Marillion would have to go some to be more boring than those  Wink

RUN......

no argument here mate , these bands tend to give themselves a bad name, or ratber the deluded fans of such turns who having had their heroes  bore the arse off 99% of the audience immediately turn to the tinterweb and proclaim their heroes the hit of tbe festival, much to the derision of all sane people

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

RUN......

no argument here mate , these bands tend to give themselves a bad name, or ratber the deluded fans of such turns who having had their heroes  bore the arse off 99% of the audience immediately turn to the tinterweb and proclaim their heroes the hit of tbe festival, much to the derision of all sane people

Now now , you claimed to like a band where a fan on here said every tune sounds the same. If that isn't deluded................................

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

RUN......

Now now , you claimed to like a band where a fan on here said every tune sounds the same. If that isn't deluded................................

what band was that?

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »

RUN......

what band was that?

Peatbog things reference Bridgwits post.
I don't consider myself deluded liking The Strawbs and Man !!

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »

RUN......

what band was that?

god almighty, nick the peatbogs were one of the highlights of the whole festival, the whole field was bouncing, i think even Bridie liked them even if her ears are made of cloth where the bagpipes are concerned.
Also i quite like man myself but the strawbs were abysmal

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2013, 03:46:33 PM »

RUN......

what band was that?

god almighty, nick the peatbogs were one of the highlights of the whole festival, the whole field was bouncing, i think even Bridie liked them even if her ears are made of cloth where the bagpipes are concerned.

Having seen the Peatbogs at Butlins and given up after 15 minutes we all gave them a miss and went back to the van for wine and horses derves.

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »

RUN......

what band was that?

The dishonerable member from the grim north is correct about the strawbs, they were dreadful.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

I would defend The Strawbs from these accusations on several levels. Certainly they did not have a fanbase who ran off and proclaimed them the best thing at the festival. Nobody thought that, particularly as I believe the festival was 2007 when the Liege & Lief set took place on Friday night in front of a huge and ecstatic crowd. However on paper The Strawbs seemed a very good fit for Cropredy. In reality there were many people who did not enjoy them. Equally there were many people who did. They share that distinction with Harpers senior & junior who have split the crowd, as did John Martyn and plenty of others besides.

I was in the latter camp, enjoyed the Strawbs enormously, enough indeed to come straight home and buy a double disc anthology of their work.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »

I would defend The Strawbs from these accusations on several levels. Certainly they did not have a fanbase who ran off and proclaimed them the best thing at the festival.

yes they did, and it was embarrasing to read

"The Strawbs seemed a very good fit for Cropredy. In reality there were many people who did not enjoy them."

Aint that the truth

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »

I would defend The Strawbs from these accusations on several levels. Certainly they did not have a fanbase who ran off and proclaimed them the best thing at the festival. Nobody thought that, particularly as I believe the festival was 2007 when the Liege & Lief set took place on Friday night in front of a huge and ecstatic crowd. However on paper The Strawbs seemed a very good fit for Cropredy. In reality there were many people who did not enjoy them. Equally there were many people who did. They share that distinction with Harpers senior & junior who have split the crowd, as did John Martyn and plenty of others besides.

I was in the latter camp, enjoyed the Strawbs enormously, enough indeed to come straight home and buy a double disc anthology of their work.

Well said.

And just to prove I don't carry bias, I thought Nick Harper was awful at Cropredy but have enjoyed him immensely since.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2013, 05:42:59 PM »

Hey! I haven't got cloth ears  Grin    I sometimes have beer ears tho...  Roll Eyes

I don't remember anything about the Strawbs in 2007, but their live version of Lay Down on the Free Reid box set is bloody awful. (in fact I just checked the lineup for 2007 and I can't remember any of the Saturday  Undecided ) I'm particularly gutted that I can't remember Bob Fox & Billy Mitchell)

Can we have Wishbone Ash back? I loved them

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2013, 06:07:13 PM »

Seconded - but which one ? Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash as per 2007 or should Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash have a go ?  Smiley
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2013, 07:33:56 PM »

Seconded - but which one ? Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash as per 2007 or should Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash have a go ?  Smiley

Oh,thanks for clearing that up for me - I know I saw Martin Turner's lot three years ago,with Ted Turner guesting, but I too seem to have had a 2007 memory blockage,and couldn't remember which version I'd seen before.
Now I can't recall which was best - if any.

p.s, Man were great.

Well I never did..
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2013, 07:40:45 PM »

I thought I'd only seen Martin Turner's version and really enjoyed them. It does worry me though that I was there in 2007 and can't remember the other version even playing.

I'm afraid 10CC were to me the worst thing to listen to this year, but looking at the voting they seem to be popular with others. So as always it goes back to personal taste and never pleaseing everyone.

Also, I didn't see Mostly Autumn the year they were at Cropredy, but I love them and looking forward to seeing them yet again in October.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »

Oh,thanks for clearing that up for me - I know I saw Martin Turner's lot three years ago,with Ted Turner guesting, but I too seem to have had a 2007 memory blockage,and couldn't remember which version I'd seen before.
Now I can't recall which was best - if any.

I have seen both in the last couple of years and they are both great live bands. I marginally prefer the Martin Turner version as there is a little more soul to their sound (check out last year's live album) but they are entirely reliant on the back catalogue and are possibly better suited to smaller venues. The Andy Powell version are still creating new music (also check out last year's surprisingly good Elegant Stealth studio album) and have more of a stadium feel about them.
Martyn H
I did have a go with a Jackie

Loc: West Yorkshire

« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »

If you want them to play Wishbone Ash songs and sound a bit like them I think it has to be Martin Turner's lot. Andy Powell...well, I wasn't over keen, even though we had a good chat with the band (not Andy) after the gig and they were a nice bunch of blokes. Not sure Andy's band is permanent is it? Does he put a band together when he goes out on tour?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2013, 08:18:56 PM »

Not sure Andy's band is permanent is it? Does he put a band together when he goes out on tour?

I think it has been the same line up for several years and the current line up certainly recorded the album.

But when it comes to Wishbone Ash I don't think there has been any such thing as a permanent line up since the mid 70s!  Grin
They are a bit like Fairport in that respect but with added acrimony.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: