TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:38:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour 2013  (Read 60077 times)
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »

Eh up, sorry luv.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

Hi all,

I've been looking for reviews of the tour online, but have only found one, from someone who was at the same gig as us in Shrewsbury. It's short, but sweet, and it's here.

Naomi
peascod

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32:37 AM »

Set list Billingham Forum
Single set, no interval, 19:30 - 21:15
Stalls, E18
Ralph Mctell with 4 guitars and piano

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »

Thanks all, keep em coming.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Naomi

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »

I've just noticed this about Ralph's gig in Warrington.

We didn't go, as we weren't impressed by the staff, the venue or the acoustics last time. However, just the fact that they know of more than one song that Ralph's written, judging by this article, and even mention it before That One has raised them in my estimation  Shocked   Grin

Naomi
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 07:53:23 PM »

Last tour, is it official?!

http://www.themomentmagazine.com/entertainment/moment-talks-ralph-mctell/

I could kick myself, just been to Leeds for a couple of nights, 15th and16th....could have gone to a Ralph concert at City varieties! D'oh! Just didn't occur to me to check!  Shocked Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:05:57 PM by JJ (Joanna) » Logged

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »

Good night @ the Sage - setlist pretty much the same as Naomi gives above. After hearing the story behind the song, not for the first time, I discovered that the subject of 'Geordi'es on the Road' was in  fact known to me. Alan was a super guy whom I always bumped into @ concerts and around the local area, and was always upbeat and friendly, in spite of health issues. He'd mentioned having lived in the US when he was younger, but didn't elaborate. He's much missed.

I hope this isn't the last RMct tour, esp.as there are still 3 Songs for 6 Strings to get.  Cool
CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »

Last tour, is it official?!

I know Ralph's got to slow down sometime but he says things like this every few years and we all panic.  Just guessing but I would guess that Ralph's pain in the hand is prompting some of these statements.  If he gets that sorted out then maybe he will carry on a bit longer.  The furthest we've travelled to see Ralph is about 90 minutes each way in the car.   Hopefully if he keeps to major cities we can still get to see him somewhere.

Enjoying it while I can  Wink

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
gmf (Giles)

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 08:39:58 AM »

The gig listed for Weds 13 November at the High Barn (Essex) looks as if it won't happen as the venue has folded, according to their website (http://www.high-barn.com/).

Does anyone know if a replacement venue/date is happening?
Naomi

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »

A couple of articles abut the tour:
here and here.

This one is a combination of a short audio interview and written article. In it, just to add to the confusion, Ralph states "Coming off stage now, I feel like I’ve done three rounds with Mohammed Ali. I will need to slow down. But as long as the voice and guitar keep going, so will I.”

So, is he continuing touring, or not? Whatever he decides, I hope he'll be encouraged by all the extremely positive reviews and comments about this tour that are online, as he says that he worries about looking old or tired onstage, or the quality of the show diminishing, but there seems to be a unanimous verdict that none of these things are happening yet  Smiley Grin

Naomi
Jess

Loc: England

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

The gig listed for Weds 13 November at the High Barn (Essex) looks as if it won't happen as the venue has folded, according to their website (http://www.high-barn.com/).

Does anyone know if a replacement venue/date is happening?

I was notified by email from the venue (or their agents) on 22nd October that this gig had been cancelled and have subsequently received a refund of the cost of my tickets.

No reason for the cancellation was given in the email and I have suggested to them that in fairness to Ralph (and the other artists whose gigs have been cancelled) they should have made it clear that it was the venue who made the cancellation, not the artists.

I am not aware of any replacement date, but would assume it is far too late to organize another venue now  Cry.

"Don't know when we'll meet again, all I know is that we will."  (Ralph McTell)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2013, 09:08:47 PM »

Wow thanks for this. HB was one of my choices. Its a lovely venue, such a shame.  Sad

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2013, 12:12:35 AM »

The High Barn website now says the closure is temporary - "The venue is in the process of being sold and due to complications in the sale process we have been unable to insure the venue to hold public performances at this time."

John B

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »

Oh help, I hope he is going to turn up at Pontardawe tomorrow!  Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »

Ralph was on top form at Cardigan last night and is looking forward to tonight at Pontardawe. Say 'hello' if you spot me, Shirl. Expect some Dylan Thomas songs.

John B

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 12:17:50 PM »

Cheers John!  Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:48 AM »

Cheers John!  Grin

So did you enjoy the concert Shirl?  Wink

CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »

Ralph was on top form at Cardigan last night and is looking forward to tonight at Pontardawe. Say 'hello' if you spot me, Shirl. Expect some Dylan Thomas songs.

Come on John, a little more information is required.  What did Ralph do off the Dylan album?  Personally I always like Wonderful Country, not because of the USA bit but the bit about waking up in Wales  Grin

When Ralph was at Bury a few years back ( you were there too naturally) we were walking back to the car park and the people behind us were talking about the gig.  One of them said 'He does that Slip Sliding Pub Song too'    Roll Eyes

Carl

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2013, 08:47:51 AM »

Last night at Chequer Mead East Grinstead made me feel like a young man again. Not me reflecting on 43 years of going to see himself, but looking round at my fellow audience members made me feel quite sprightly and young! Of course, I couldn't possibly look that age!
As ever, I sit there with best intentions of remembering the set list and get carried away in thrall of it all and absorbed in the music and chat. Based on Naomi's set list from three weeks ago 50% was different started with London Apprentice, but then First Song (which I've been singing non-stop for the past three weeks). Hiring Fair, One Heart, Streets of London, Lunar Lullaby, Canopus, Maginot Waltz and Summer Girls were amongst the others, as well as Mr Connaughton, which was preceded by a story about the writing of the song with a promise to carry on the tale later in the show, but he didn't return to it. I won't spoil the fist part of the story for those who will be going, but I would love to hear its conclusion! A Tune from the Sofa album, plus his 'tributes' to Rev. Gary Davies and Robert Johnson were also in the mix and an encore of Around Cape Horn are the others that I can recall that filled nigh on an hour and a quarter. A great evening that lived up to expectations, but I came away with the same frustration that accompanies me every time I see him - why did it end so soon?
Looking forward to seeing him at the RFH at the Bert Jansch tribute concert, but in the meantime, I'm back to listening to the recordings of a man who has provided a soundtrack to my adult life.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
lucienne

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »

I just missed getting the last 2 tickets for the Oxford gig and am on the waiting list. If anyone has 2 spare tickets i would love to hear from you:)

Thanks,

lucienne.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: