TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tour 2013  (Read 59932 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2013, 04:11:54 PM »

Last night at Chequer Mead East Grinstead made me feel like a young man again. Not me reflecting on 43 years of going to see himself, but looking round at my fellow audience members made me feel quite sprightly and young! Of course, I couldn't possibly look that age!
As ever, I sit there with best intentions of remembering the set list and get carried away in thrall of it all and absorbed in the music and chat. Based on Naomi's set list from three weeks ago 50% was different started with London Apprentice, but then First Song (which I've been singing non-stop for the past three weeks). Hiring Fair, One Heart, Streets of London, Lunar Lullaby, Canopus, Maginot Waltz and Summer Girls were amongst the others, as well as Mr Connaughton, which was preceded by a story about the writing of the song with a promise to carry on the tale later in the show, but he didn't return to it. I won't spoil the fist part of the story for those who will be going, but I would love to hear its conclusion! A Tune from the Sofa album, plus his 'tributes' to Rev. Gary Davies and Robert Johnson were also in the mix and an encore of Around Cape Horn are the others that I can recall that filled nigh on an hour and a quarter. A great evening that lived up to expectations, but I came away with the same frustration that accompanies me every time I see him - why did it end so soon?
Looking forward to seeing him at the RFH at the Bert Jansch tribute concert, but in the meantime, I'm back to listening to the recordings of a man who has provided a soundtrack to my adult life.

That sounds like a very similar setlist to the one we had at Reading Concert Hall last night, though he ended with an unrecorded song inspired by the cover of Bob Dylan's Freewheelin' album.  And he did remember to come back to the end of the Mr Connaughton story when he came back for the encore.  I think we must have had a bit more, as it was about an hour and three quarters.

My first Ralph concert, and it was a great one.  Really enjoyed myself.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013, 10:26:46 PM »

We'll be at Cadogan Hall  Cheesy
and hoping to arrive a little earlier this year.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »

Best wishes to all going to the Cadogan tomorrow for Ralph's last gig of the year.

Enjoy and please report back!

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2013, 09:01:05 AM »

Best wishes to all going to the Cadogan tomorrow for Ralph's last gig of the year.

Enjoy and please report back!

Will do, looking forward to visiting the best Deli just off Sloane square but promise not to buy smelly cheeses...  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »

We'll be there  Cheesy

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »

We'll be there  Cheesy

Thank goodness you were!!  Wink

Was a wonderful evening at Cadogan. My those Grandchildren have grown since they sang the same song with Ralph 2 years back! Isobel is looking a young lady now and Lois so tall and handsome with a fine voice. Ralph wasn't bad either! Of course I queued to get my latest 'g' string signed LOL!!  Wink  2 new songs from Ralph really good I thought. When we spoke he did say "Forgot a few lines tonight..I expect someone like you noticed?!" Told him it didn't matter, hardly noticed! ;-))

....not to mention the 'photo shoot'  Wink Grin Air brushed the lot!! haha x

YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2013, 01:59:13 PM »

Photos later JJ (TAW's official Ralph stalker)

Viv and I always try to get to his gig in London, before Christmas. It's a bit of a tradition.
Last night was exceptional. It is a lovely venue and Ralph played a set up there with the very best I have ever seen him do. Possibly the best and that covers a few decades.

(The grub at Cote was rather good as well.)

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

Photos later JJ (TAW's official Ralph stalker)

Viv and I always try to get to his gig in London, before Christmas. It's a bit of a tradition.
Last night was exceptional. It is a lovely venue and Ralph played a set up there with the very best I have ever seen him do. Possibly the best and that covers a few decades.

(The grub at Cote was rather good as well.)

Thanks Colin

Ralph seemed so relaxed and very happy to be at Cadogan Hall, it is such a lovely venue plus a lot of his family and a room full of friends seem to bring out the best performance.

Good news to see advertised that his 70th birthday bash will be at the Drury Lane Theatre December 7th next year!

It was good to meet both you and Viv again, plus Chris Bates, Steve and Martin K and Martin Driver. Photos via email first please as I need to vet them!! haha  Wink Tiara

YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »

Totally fantastic:

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2013, 01:01:31 AM »

Totally fantastic:

have we met before?

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: