TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ralph on the Radio  (Read 126853 times)
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

Indeed! Wake op Henrik!  Roll Eyes

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »

Ja, kan du vække mig op nu, tak? Wink

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »

Ja, kan du vække mig op nu, tak? Wink

Yes, trying to, now back on topic please!  Wink

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »

Ralph will be on 'Steve Wright in the Afternoon', on BBC Radio 2, tomorrow, Tuesday 26 November, from 14:00.

If you can't listen live, it'll be available on iPlayer and podcast from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p06g5.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 07:47:39 AM »

My rather lengthy interview with Ralph back in April now has a permanent home on the show's new blog: http://rootsandbranchesaustralia.wordpress.com/interviews/ralph-mctell/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »

Thanks, Michael. It's good to have it saved for posterity.

John B

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 01:26:58 AM »

I have just heard that Ralph McTell will be on Saturday Live today, BBC Radio 4, from 9am...

"Ralph McTell takes us by the hand and leads us through the streets of London"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pgnbh

John B

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »

I have just heard that Ralph McTell will be on Saturday Live today, BBC Radio 4, from 9am...

Thanks John, short but sweet.  Cool Must admit I do like to hear the 'young' Ralph's voice singing SoL, it's of a time.....

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »

Yes, I caught this too. Made the rest of the programme, which is mostly R4's most boring, just about bearable.
Jess

Loc: England

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »

Ralph will be on Radio 2 tonight.  Friday Night is Music Night 8 - 10pm.

From Radio Times:
"... a themed programme of works to celebrate the recent 150th anniversary of the London Underground.  Welsh soprano Shan Cothi and singer/songwriter Ralph McTell perform music associated with London landmarks, including works by Handel, Mozart, the Beatles and Ralph McTell himself."

"Don't know when we'll meet again, all I know is that we will."  (Ralph McTell)
CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »

We recorded Friday night is music night and have just finished listening.  Since it was on the theme of London underground I was hoping for a mention of East Croydon station but inevitably got SOL.  It was good to  hear London Apprentice though and his final song of grown up love , 'Summer Lightning ' was excellent too.  I thought Ralph actually sounded a little nervous but Ken Bruce is clearly a man who knows more than sol.  He plays England every St George's day.

Oh, it wasn't Welsh soprano Shan Cothi, it was Welsh soprano Gwawr Edwards. There was nothing in Welsh so don't know why they replaced one Welsh soprano with another.

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »

Well not quite...Ralph on Mike Harding's Podcasts more like.....except Mike played SoL  Roll Eyes Well worth following this internet show though, some good songs and you never know Ralph may pop up again with one or two of his other songs... Grin

http://mhfs.podomatic.com/entry/2013-04-28T08_57_27-07_00

tryer

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »

Ralph on todays Desert Island disks .....not exactly on the radio but an excellent introduction! can be found on replay anytime BBC Radio 4  
tryer

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 02:30:25 PM »

Desert island discs  First broadcast: Sun 26 May 2013  Dancer ballerina, writer and broadcaster Deborah Bull. Third choice in, Obviously made an impression.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »

Havn't had a chance to listen yet, hope its still available but.....was it Dancing Doreen by any chance tryer?  Grin

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »

'BArges' was played on Radcliffe's show last night. MArk R. told a touching story about listening to it with a very young girlfriend. Almost too much info, MArk. Nostalgia is a tricky one on the radio.

It was poignant for me, though, because Not Till Tomorrow was my first McTell album, at about the same age Mark heard it. I played it to death on the family record player, girlfriendless, I'm afraid. The CD is okay but I have a suspicion it's been mastered at the wrong speed. Must check against the LP.  
tryer

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »

I feel I should respond? as I love any spark of life on here  Smiley I can sympathise with the first record heard, and how on hearing it again you can be transported back? or sometimes even forward! Zig Zag line has a whole new meaning when its your grandsons hand, "He knew me you know and and I knew him" personally I am often brought to tears at recognizing anew the depth of lyrics,and rediscovering Old songs have new meanings
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2013, 08:28:38 PM »

I feel I should respond? as I love any spark of life on here  Smiley I can sympathise with the first record heard, and how on hearing it again you can be transported back? or sometimes even forward! Zig Zag line has a whole new meaning when its your grandsons hand, "He knew me you know and and I knew him" personally I am often brought to tears at recognizing anew the depth of lyrics,and rediscovering Old songs have new meanings

........and the zig zag line came up in conversation for real with me the other week as I hiked the 7 sisters at Beachy Head with John Jones and the Reluctant Ramblers. I was telling a fellow walker about Ralph's song and was humming it as I descended the cliff in a zig zag line!! That's what I love about Ralph and his sensitive, meaningful songwriting, its real life and turns up and transports you, you never know when its going to strike!  Wink

macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »

The impact of Ralph's music and lyrics were very noticeable in the early 70s. It was much easier to get close to a partner sitting listening in rapt attention to Old Brown Dog than, for instance, the latest offering from Uriah Heep. Those of us with a tactical instinct learnt this lesson very quickly!
And picking up on the other thread - Zig Zag Line resonated with me when I first heard it as it reminded me of walks as a young child with my father on holiday in the Highlands and later in life with my own sons. (I'm still waiting for the grandkids to appear!).
Naomi is becoming more resonant with me these days!

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »

I've just noticed this.  It's short but sweet  Smiley

It's been there since last Friday, so may not be available for long now.

The idea of a Celtic tour sounds great for us Welshies   Grin

Enjoy!

Naomi

(Slight negative comment: Much as I deeply respect Ralph, I'm starting to find the lack of news & info from Leola a little annoying, especially for things available for restricted times like this one. No printed newsletter for years, no updates to his website or emails from Leola for months. The Twitter feed on his website doesn't seem to be working either. It may just be me, but it starts to feel just a tiny bit like taking McRegulars for granted - i.e. we'll make sure we find out about gigs, etc, no need to let us know. Maybe I'm wrong- I know for sure that Ralph himself values his fans! I'm also aware that he knows that John and all at RA&S are keeping us up-to-date, but that's not quite the same to me as a regularly changing website or newsletters directly from Leola. Not sure the lack of new items on the website is good from the point of view of potential newcomers to Ralph & his music either  Undecided )

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: