TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Fairport by Fairport'  (Read 250236 times)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #240 on: December 26, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »

Well, whaddya know?  My son bought me FbF for Christmas, it took me completely by surprise.  I intend to lose myself in it for a while Cheesy

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #241 on: December 26, 2012, 05:28:15 PM »

It's a corking read, has allowed me to immerse myself completely for a couple of days, and would probably be the best twenty five quid I'd spent on myself for many a month if it hadn't been for the extra twenty on top of that that it actually cost. Nevertheless, it is a thing of beauty and wonder, and something I shall look fondly upon for many a year hence, I'm sure.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #242 on: December 26, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »

It's a corking read, has allowed me to immerse myself completely for a couple of days, and would probably be the best twenty five quid I'd spent on myself for many a month if it hadn't been for the extra twenty on top of that that it actually cost. Nevertheless, it is a thing of beauty and wonder, and something I shall look fondly upon for many a year hence, I'm sure.

Completely agree with all of the above!

I've actually been dipping in and out at random so far, although I guess I need to sit down and read it properly for maximum enjoyment... Wink

The DVD is a pleasant view...Little I'd not heard before, but an enjoyable 45 mins nontheless!... Smiley

Martyn H
I did have a go with a Jackie

Loc: West Yorkshire

« Reply #243 on: December 26, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »

Just started reading it, 'What We Did...' so I popped the CD on. Maybe it should include a suggested playlist whilst reading, like Alan Partridge's autobiography.  Cheesy
David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2012, 10:16:35 AM »

Started to read while rest of family watchd Downton Abbey and I love it. It's like having family call round for Christmas but the ones you are really pleased to see!  Roll on August
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #245 on: December 28, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »

I've been reading hte good book Cheesy (Here in after called .... the Bible) I've just got to the new testament ( thats the bit after the pics) Sleepy Its a jolly good read I have to say. Its prompted me to play some vynil Shocked
Well done on the whole project to all contributors and compilers   Now back to the second coming !!!!! Fez Tiara
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2012, 09:55:27 AM »

It is indeed a very good read but there are a few nagging errors - eg the book says Farewell Farewell was not available to buy at the farewell concert at Cropredy but it was - I bought it there!  Overall, though, the book reads very well with its principal strength being all the direct quotes from band members & contemporaries so that they are telling the story.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #247 on: December 28, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »

It is indeed a very good read but there are a few nagging errors - eg the book says Farewell Farewell was not available to buy at the farewell concert at Cropredy but it was - I bought it there!  Overall, though, the book reads very well with its principal strength being all the direct quotes from band members & contemporaries so that they are telling the story.

If that's as bad as it gets it's really not too bad is it?  Smiley

Incidentally, the release date on wiki, at least is September 1979....?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #248 on: December 28, 2012, 11:50:24 AM »

I'm glad so many people thought better of it than me. But for £40 I wanted something more.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #249 on: December 28, 2012, 06:03:10 PM »

I haven't read any Fairport related books prior to this, so it was a very enjoyable and enlightening read for me.  The book Jumped around a bit but over all, I liked it.

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »

I wasn't expecting to have this book as I thought I was pretty across Fairports History from other books, mags, interviews etc.
However, yersterday, at a late Christmas get together due to ilness,my brother gave it me as my crimbo present and I am , genuinely , delighted to have it.
Being a limited edition, it is interesting to think who the book is aimed at. My immediate conclusion is that it must be the fan base. However, I also presume, that the majority of ther fan base will know the majority of the inf in this book. Posts already on this thread are , however, proving me wrong.
On opening it my brother was keen to insure it was a signed copy. As a collector of signed limited art editions he was genuinely'miffed' to find the signatures 'just stuck in on a piece of paper'. As he said, if he had bought a Hockney signed print and found the sig was just a piece of paper stuck on the front he would not be happy. The point of a signed limited edition is just that and goes some way to justifying the price.
The book refers to the number of albums released as Fairport 'product', many of which are just re compilation of previous albums. It was good to read that this wasn't Fairport /Peggy trying to make a few bob but the fact that albums no longer selling, had been leased to other companies. ( ok to make a few bob but the point is they had no control as to what these companies did, eg re lease them etc,) I know some people had felt ripped off/let down by these compilations and there is a similar feeling about a signed book, which isn't. I know there will be perfectly understandable logistical reasons but.......
Any way, I haven't read it cover to cover yet but a serious part of last night and all of this morn have been spent dipping, mainly on the later years.
Personally I don't mind the non chronoligacal order as i know the chronology of the band  v well, in fact I liked it a lot, so, for example, an out of context ref to L and L doesn't bother me. I understand the significance of the album. The strength of the book is of course the bands quotes. and the raison d'etre for the book in the first place.
I find myself agreeing with Andy L (I don't often say that..... soz Andy Kiss) that I do want more warts and all, eg more touring tales, why Maart really left, the changes to Cropredy after Chris P etc) There is little crit of recent albums.
I do find the pictures disappointing , (that has to be one of the worst Cropredy crowd shots I've ever seen)
I also received as a pressie Mick Walls bio of AC/DC and that does do the warts and all stuff!! I don't suppose Peggy has ever said to Simon. 'stop f,,,,,,,g talking and just sing before I ,,,,,,,,your ........... head in'. Mind you he did hit Swarb with his bass,
However I am finding F by F an enjoyable, gentle read, which, as I said, I am delighted is on my bookshelf and I will return to over the yrs. I am just looking forward to my brother's letter to the publishers and something about the trade descriptions act , cost etc (he's that sort of a bloke)
Incidentally, those people who always see me as criticising Fairports. I am simply trying to give a reasoned review and my feelings. More when I have read it cover to cover in the next few days.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:02:05 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »

There are a couple of omissions of behind the scenes shenanigans that even I've heard rumours about, but I'm guessing the real stories behind a couple of politely alluded-to situations aren't ever going to be confirmed or denied in print. I don't think that anyone in or around the Fairport camp seem like the types to air their dirty linen* in public, for anyone's money.

* do you see what I did there?  Roll Eyes

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »

There are a couple of omissions of behind the scenes shenanigans that even I've heard rumours about, but I'm guessing the real stories behind a couple of politely alluded-to situations aren't ever going to be confirmed or denied in print. I don't think that anyone in or around the Fairport camp seem like the types to air their dirty linen* in public, for anyone's money.

* do you see what I did there?  Roll Eyes

Ok Shane. I suppose some people would now be thankful about that but you can't stop the red tide of public interest and I was hoping for the kind fortune to find some diamonds and gold in the rumours area and I am sure your rumours would be the jewel in the crown.

See what i did there? Wink
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »

See what i did there? Wink

Arf!  Grin

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2012, 03:44:24 PM »

Over all I'm rather impressed with the book.
I agree with Dave about the signatures and I can't believe that was the best Cropredy photo they could find!
The non chronological aspects don't bother me too much, but I feel a comprehensive index would help with this.

So, a few minor moans, but I'm still glad I ordered a copy.
In retrospect I'm happy with the fact that this turned out to be a "normal" book rather than a "coffee table" tome, as it means I'm reading it cover to cover rather than just dipping in.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: December 30, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »

I'm looking forward to reading mine - it still remains sealed, and I read On the Road (again) on Xmas day instead. Loving Fairport notwithstanding, I've never followed their history closely, as I got off the bus, so to speak, in the late '70s, when I perceived them to be past their best. I'm relying on this book to be factually accurate, so that I'm no longer embarrassed on this forum, for example, when I realise i don't have the chronology of their albums right, or i just forget who was in the band at a particular point.  Embarrassed
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #256 on: January 01, 2013, 04:43:32 PM »

Read it over two days in some quiet time on my own after xmas rather than dipping into with other distractions going on. Did I learn much new? Probably not a huge amount but I think where it was strong was capturing some of the emotions around key events - farewell gig, first reunion etc which I think it did brilliantly.

My 13 year old nieces insisted on teaching me the full names of all of the members of One Direction, but in a reciprocal arrangement they are now able to identify by sight all the members of the Full House line-up!

Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #257 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:31 PM »

I'm glad so many people thought better of it than me. But for £40 I wanted something more.

I agree.
It's a nice sturdy book, as I wrote earlier. But for that amount of money they surely could have added some more pictures.
As far as the written text goes, the book offers not much more then I already knew from various other sources. There is some repetition: certain facts are mentioned more than once. There was one strange addition to my knowledge. The truckdriver that drove into The Angel at Little Hadham was Dutch.
The good thing about the book is the fact that it consists mainly out of quotes by Fairport members. The title of the book is fully justified.
The signatures of the present members of the group are placed on a piece of paper that has a smaller size than the pages of the book, but that piece of paper is bound with the rest of the book, so it's not a loose insert.

Conclusion: a nice history of Fairport, but somewhat overpriced.  Will not sell it for the original price, though..

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »

Well, I had considered ordering the book at Cropredy, but everytime I was at the tent on the Saturday (my only day in attendance this year), the people were off wandering and giving out info... so i decided to resist the urge, but did mention it to my brother in early December...

Imagine my delight when he turned up at Christmas with the book as a present for me! (the present was a surprise, not his arrival).

Haven't read it yet, but was pleased to have also got the signed insert, although I guess that that means that less than 2000 had been ordered at that time. Can see why people have commented negatively about the flyer, but as already mentioned, it is part of the binding, so I'm happy with that.

Cheers,

Donna
xx
michael scrivens

« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »

It's a great read and there are some wonderful insights. Being a pedant, though, I noticed one glaring error about Sandy opting to bring A Sailors Life back in to the set in the mid-80s... Sorry!!! Anyway, a corker and beautifully presented.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: