TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:12:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny: Notes and Words. 4CD box.  (Read 59787 times)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »

"Britain's greatest female vocalist" has many nominees. I'm afraid I don't always ascribe this term to Sandy Denny. Dusty Springfield and Maggie Bell are but two other contenders for this, IMHO.

I love Sandy's singing, and would rather listen to her than any other female vocalist. That said, my much-better half, a musicologist who is blessed/cursed with perfect pitch (and is also, I should point out, a real admirer of SD's), tells me that it's not uncommon for Sandy to go either flat or sharp (can't remember which). Indeed, if we have What We Did on Our Holidays on in the car, we have to skip "I'll Keep it with Mine" for just that reason; apparently it's too painful to listen to. I can't hear it myself, except that when my beloved sings the correct note at the same time, I do notice the difference.

FWIW, Andy, when it comes to singers in the popular music arena, her vote goes to Dusty Springfield.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 01:33:10 PM »

I love Sandy's singing, and would rather listen to her than any other female vocalist. That said, my much-better half, a musicologist who is blessed/cursed with perfect pitch (and is also, I should point out, a real admirer of SD's), tells me that it's not uncommon for Sandy to go either flat or sharp (can't remember which). Indeed, if we have What We Did on Our Holidays on in the car, we have to skip "I'll Keep it with Mine" for just that reason; apparently it's too painful to listen to. I can't hear it myself, except that when my beloved sings the correct note at the same time, I do notice the difference.

My other half can always hear Neil Young doing that.  And friends of mine tell me they hear Sinead O'Connor doing the same.  I'm also told I do it myself.  Luckily for me, I just don't hear it, or at least not often.  I think a voice with personality doesn't need to be on pitch 100% of the time.  Feel is more important to me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »

I think a voice with personality doesn't need to be on pitch 100% of the time.  Feel is more important to me.

Much more important.  Always.

I mean, I can enjoy Phil Lesh singing...really.  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »

"Britain's greatest female vocalist" has many nominees. I'm afraid I don't always ascribe this term to Sandy Denny. Dusty Springfield and Maggie Bell are but two other contenders for this, IMHO.

FWIW, Andy, when it comes to singers in the popular music arena, her vote goes to Dusty Springfield.

I always assumed it was deliberate when she was not 'on the note'.

Back in the stone age, when I did O level music, out reacher explained that Bachs genius was that he knew when to breat the rules - I think the same goes for great singers.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »

I always assumed it was deliberate when she was not 'on the note'.

Back in the stone age, when I did O level music, out reacher explained that Bachs genius was that he knew when to breat the rules - I think the same goes for great singers.

Ahh I do therefore I am  (its a mistake when I hit hte right note!!!) Grin
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »

Every singer hits a bum note from time to time.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »

Not with Autotune!  Wink
Peter H-K

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »

Me too. Except on some of those 90s tapes of Box of Rain live. Ouch!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »

Me too. Except on some of those 90s tapes of Box of Rain live. Ouch!

I was talking about him now.  Believe me, he was better in the 90's  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »

'good enough for jazz' to quote Saint Richard of Thompson.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2012, 12:00:48 AM »

Not with Autotune!  Wink

If it's good enough for ***** then it's good enough for me.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »

tells me that it's not uncommon for Sandy to go either flat or sharp (can't remember which). Indeed, if we have What We Did on Our Holidays on in the car, we have to skip "I'll Keep it with Mine" for just that reason; apparently it's too painful to listen to.

Well I'd have to ask my wife to leave the car for the duration of that track, simply because it's my favourite Fairport track ever recorded.  It's been that way since I bought the album all those years ago. It's the classic line up and classic song too. Incidentally, it does happen to be my wife's favourite track also.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
Peter H-K

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 08:50:33 PM »

tells me that it's not uncommon for Sandy to go either flat or sharp (can't remember which). Indeed, if we have What We Did on Our Holidays on in the car, we have to skip "I'll Keep it with Mine" for just that reason; apparently it's too painful to listen to.

Well I'd have to ask my wife to leave the car for the duration of that track, simply because it's my favourite Fairport track ever recorded.  It's been that way since I bought the album all those years ago. It's the classic line up and classic song too. Incidentally, it does happen to be my wife's favourite track also.  

I'd be in trouble if she left the car: she's the driver!  Smiley
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »

Quite. Listening to Nic Jones: Unearthed, yesterday I was struck by how often he's off the note, in spite of being a wonderful, clear singer. The timing and delivery overcomes a lot.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2012, 05:51:40 PM »

"Perfection is always boring." - J. Garcia  Smiley
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2012, 06:00:34 PM »

"Perfection is always boring." - J. Garcia  Smiley

Cool

No Left Turn Unstoned
Sir Martin
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »

Box set now deleted apparently - and Muse Music didnt manage to get any copies.

There do seem to still be some around, but if you want it, buy it up now.

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »

What's with all this 'instant deletion' bollix?!   Angry

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »

What's with all this 'instant deletion' bollix?!   Angry

Jules

I'm with you Jules. It's absolute bollix. Perhaps the guy that put the albums together can enlighten us. I don't believe SD would have been impressed with these strange methods.  Angry

No Left Turn Unstoned
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:57 AM »

That's ridick-a-lick-alickalous!

Still available on Amazon, I see, so get out there and buy it if you haven't already!  But I thought the idea of this one was that it wouldn't be a limited edition like the big box?  Still, I'm glad that i did decide to splash out on it already, so I don't feel pressured about getting it now.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: