TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:07:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandy Denny: Notes and Words. 4CD box.  (Read 59785 times)
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »

Arrived in the post today...nicely packaged!...like a hardback book with 2 discs at each end, and a 42 page booklet in the middle with some lovely pics!

Just listened to disc 1 of mostly early demos...sounds fabulous!...but I'm a bit tired to appreciate it tonight Sleepy...Looking forward to a proper listen at the weekend!... Smiley
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »

Here is a link to the Mojo competition, where you could try and win it. As I wouldn't be parted from my copy either.

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2012/10/win_mammoth_sandy_denny_collec.html

As well as the Mojo competition, there are two other opportunities to win the main contents of the mega box (i.e. the 19 CDs and the fancy book):

http://thequietus.com/articles/10520-win-sandy-denny-box-set
http://www.clashmusic.com/win/win-sandy-denny-collection

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 05:04:10 PM »

Got my copy today. Nice. Universal have devised a form of packaging where it's impossible to remove or replace the Cds without scratching them.  Sad And just to make absolutely sure, the discs are already scratched, presumably during packing.  
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 05:06:58 PM »

Got my copy today. Nice. Universal have devised a form of packaging where it's impossible to remove or replace the Cds without scratching them.

I can't see the problem. You just push the little tab that says "Push" and the CDs pop out. Or at least mine do. Playing them now.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

Yes, I see how it works, but it's fiddly, esp. when you're replacing. and mine are scratched, like i said. And one of the tabs is broken.

Go on, call me a fussyclogs. Roll Eyes
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »

On my Sandy BBC box one of the discs came loose at some point and got all scratched up.  The design isn't good.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »

Yes, it would have made more sense to make the box a bit longer and just have 4 conventional trays, without the overlapping.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »

Just begun listening to it - still on disc one so far, but it is much better quality than I expected from nearly 50 year old home recordings!

The new Sandy Denny website has a wonderful resource, with a list of all the songs she recorded and of the different versions that have been released, which is great for finding out what has been released on other compilations, as bonus tracks, etc - http://www.sandydenny.org.uk/music/songs/.  I think I may be visiting it frequently.  It also has the lyrics for many of them.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2012, 10:48:54 AM »

Just begun listening to it - still on disc one so far, but it is much better quality than I expected from nearly 50 year old home recordings!

I agree. It has been a bit of a busy week since mine arrived so I have only made it as far as disc 3 (will catch up with disc 4 tomorrow I hope) but the quality of recordings, mastering and material have far exceeded my expectations. Nothing bootleggy at all. I think my favourite stuff so far are the Fotheringay out takes but there is much to choose from.

Does anybody know whether the non Sandy led performances from the Fairport '74 Troubadour gig are officially available anywhere? I ought to know but it is possible that I have missed them.

Incidentally, much as I love Sandy I have never been quite sure about the "Britain's greatest female vocalist" tag that is routinely applied to her. I wasn't sure what criteria were applied to make this distinction but having listened to the absolute control she has over her instrument in these versions of It Ain't Me Babe and Who Knows Where The Time goes and how extraordinarily expressive it is I think I get it.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:39 AM »

Does anybody know whether the non Sandy led performances from the Fairport '74 Troubadour gig are officially available anywhere? I ought to know but it is possible that I have missed them.

Only on the big box, as far as I know.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2012, 06:17:29 PM »

http://www.sandydenny.org.uk/music/songs/.  I think I may be visiting it frequently.  It also has the lyrics for many of them.

I'm particularly enjoying the lyrics to Dirty Linen!!   Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »

"Britain's greatest female vocalist" has many nominees. I'm afraid I don't always ascribe this term to Sandy Denny. Dusty Springfield and Maggie Bell are but two other contenders for this, IMHO.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

Loc: London

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »

Hi GubGub,

Andrew Batt here. compiler of Notes and the Words etc. I'm really pleased to read all the positive comments- I did alot of work to find missing reels, and to go through literally everything, and I think Notes and the Words is  like an alternative 'best of' As devoted fans will know, Sandys demos and outakes are often as good/better than the album versions, so the set is a great record of her career.

Also the few songs on Notes and the Words that do crossover with Boxful of treasures, are sometimes different versions,for example 'Geordie' and 'Go your own way my love' I mixed from the master reels, whereas on Boxful, they were transferred from the Attic cassetts. The home demo of 'By the time it gets dark' is also a stereo version on Notes, whereas on Boxful its mono.

those wishing to do a thorough comparison of versions can do so here: http://www.sandydenny.org.uk/music/releases/sandy-denny/notes-and-words-collection-demos-and-rarities/notes-and-words-collection-demos-and-rarities/

The non Sandy performances from the LA Troubadour are unavailable at present, but that may change Smiley

best

Andrew
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

Hi GubGub,

Andrew Batt here. compiler of Notes and the Words etc. I'm really pleased to read all the positive comments- I did alot of work to find missing reels, and to go through literally everything, and I think Notes and the Words is  like an alternative 'best of' As devoted fans will know, Sandys demos and outakes are often as good/better than the album versions, so the set is a great record of her career.

Also the few songs on Notes and the Words that do crossover with Boxful of treasures, are sometimes different versions,for example 'Geordie' and 'Go your own way my love' I mixed from the master reels, whereas on Boxful, they were transferred from the Attic cassetts. The home demo of 'By the time it gets dark' is also a stereo version on Notes, whereas on Boxful its mono.

those wishing to do a thorough comparison of versions can do so here: http://www.sandydenny.org.uk/music/releases/sandy-denny/notes-and-words-collection-demos-and-rarities/notes-and-words-collection-demos-and-rarities/

The non Sandy performances from the LA Troubadour are unavailable at present, but that may change Smiley

best

Andrew

Thanks very much, Andrew.  I think you have done an exceptional job on Notes and Words, and thank you for putting all those details about the songs and versions up on the website as well. Very interesting for those of us who get a bit obsessional about these things Smiley

It would be great to have the whole of that 1974 LA Troubadour concert available one day...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 09:55:01 PM »

Sandys demos and outakes are often as good/better than the album versions, so the set is a great record of her career.

Very true. Of all the unexpected gems, I have always regarded the released ersion of Candle In The Wind as rather pointless and something of a stain on Sandy's official catalogue but the solo piano version on here is breathtaking and gives Elton's original a run for its money.
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »

Hi Gub Gub,

Agree re Candle in the wind- without all the production around it, you can really here how passionate and intense Sandy's performance is, whereas with all the band overdubbed, it just sort of kills it. I remember when I was going through the reels, how surprised I was just hearing her voice like that.

best

A
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »

Re candle, while it is preferable to the previously released version, i have always wondered why she recorded that piece of maudlin dross in the first place, possibly at gunpoint?

The Dude abides
Andy B
Playing in the Sandbox

« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »

Hi Jim,

Candle is perhaps a trifle over familiar now, but to Sandys ears it would have sounded much fresher- It is a bit saccharine, but Eltons piano style is not that far from Sandys on some songs; also I hate to disappoint but Sandy actually really liked the song and wanted to do it! She told patrick Humphries in an interview that she was playing it at home in Byfield and Trevor heard it and asked her if she wanted to do it in the studio to which the answer was yes! I do think that it is a shame one of her own songs was bumped from Rendezvous to make way for it...

best

A
jimc

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

...that piece of maudlin dross in the first place

If you can cast your mind back to the days before the vomit inducing saint-diana-the-presstarget version I don't think it was so very dreadful back then. But we are where we are...
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »

...that piece of maudlin dross in the first place

If you can cast your mind back to the days before the vomit inducing saint-diana-the-presstarget version

I think it's possible that you missed the subtext and true fury in that song.

Anyway, back on topic.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: