TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:15:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bruce Rowland question  (Read 26010 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 03:24:11 AM »

Hallelujah I found it! As written by John C. Falstaff in the notes to Fiddlestix (The Best of Fairport 1972-1984) on Raven from 1998. He writes, "...Bruce Rowland, whose impressive pedigree stretches all the way back to 1959 (Marching With The Coldstream Guards-literally! on RCA Victor RD-27112)..."

So there it is....The only reason I bought that particular compilation at the time of its release is because it had 2 songs from Bonny Bunch Of Roses, which was unavailable at the time. I had no reason to get rid of it, but I literally have not opened the sleeve notes in years, and out of desperation after spending 2 hours looking through every old magazine clipping in relation to Fairport I posess, it was a last ditch effort to go through CD notes. Glad I found it, thanks all for the help. Amazing how much trivial stuff I remember about music......now where did I put my keys?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »

Glad you've found it - I've been following this quest with interest, but I haven't posted as I have no idea about the early recordings of Mr Rowland, so I wouldn't have been able to help.  But I came across this which may (or may not!) be of interest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARCHING-COLDSTREAM-GUARDS-LSP-1684-RCA-Album-R-VG-EX-C-EX-LP-1491-/300679745096?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4601e8ce48#ht_1539wt_1037

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »

Do we glean from this that Bruce was a guards bandsman?

DW
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »

DW

I dont remember Bruce towering over the rest of the band esp Swarb and would have thought he was a trifle short to be a guardsman

The Dude abides
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »

the term coldstream guards to me evokes a vision of bearskin topped squaddies with snotty noses........

http://www.alexlyons.co.uk/atrax/swarbstore/other_back-catalogue/Fairport_at_Broughton_Castle_1981.jpg
proves the assertion of lack of height differential and whereas the minimum height requirement was 5'10" that has now been relaxed:

"...you will never believe this but over last weekend we were talking to coldsteam guardsmen at the cenotaph, the minimum height requirement for the guards now is 5' 2" and this limit is set only because that is how big you need to be to reach the pedals of a landrover!"
Presumably a similar distinction applies to stickmen being able to reach bass pedals...

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:33 AM »

DW

I dont remember Bruce towering over the rest of the band esp Swarb and would have thought he was a trifle short to be a guardsman

Ian McDonald (the King Crimson/Foreigner one) isn't that tall and he was an army bandsman as well, he'd just been bought out when I met him.. Contrary to some opinions, it was very good training for a musician.. Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »

I've been asked by a colleague who is ex-military to clarify that the changes of entry requirements from 5'10" to 5'2" were not brought in as a result of the lifting of apartheight.................

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Glad you've found it - I've been following this quest with interest, but I haven't posted as I have no idea about the early recordings of Mr Rowland, so I wouldn't have been able to help.  But I came across this which may (or may not!) be of interest

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARCHING-COLDSTREAM-GUARDS-LSP-1684-RCA-Album-R-VG-EX-C-EX-LP-1491-/300679745096?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item4601e8ce48#ht_1539wt_1037

Thanks Mick, once I had the full name and label code I searched for it as well and came up with the same cover shot. I wonder if Dan rembembers that being the same front cover he saw years ago?

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »

DW

Ian McDonald (the King Crimson/Foreigner one) isn't that tall and he was an army bandsman as well, he'd just been bought out when I met him.. Contrary to some opinions, it was very good training for a musician.. Smiley

blimey, i thought they were all about 6foot4 , must be the hats Roll Eyes

mind You Bruce probably did national service so who knows
And Ian McDonald as well! he was on the Gerry Rafferty tribute show,the other week still tooting away like billyo

The Dude abides
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »

Thanks Mick, once I had the full name and label code I searched for it as well and came up with the same cover shot. I wonder if Dan rembembers that being the same front cover he saw years ago?

I seem to remember many Coldstream Guards on that front cover I was shown, but my memory could be playing tricks on me...
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »

Thanks Dan, having a handful of these type albums myself the covers all tend to blend together!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 02:36:15 PM »

Too young I think if he was born in '41. I remember hearing John Lennon saying it was abolished mere months before he would have been eligible and he was born in October '40.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 03:12:36 PM »

Too young I think if he was born in '41. I remember hearing John Lennon saying it was abolished mere months before he would have been eligible and he was born in October '40.

According to Wikipedia, UK National Service for those of between 17 & 21 years finished in 1963, with the last entrants joining in Nov 1960. Therefore, both Lennon & Bruce would have been liable.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »

DW

And the late great Howard Evans (Albions/Home Service/Brass Monkey) was a Welsh Guardsman...

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:06 PM »

DW

And the late great Howard Evans (Albions/Home Service/Brass Monkey) was a Welsh Guardsman...

as John Tams never tires of saying

The Dude abides
BPTNT
5-18

Loc: london W11

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »

Another Bruce Rowland question...

I heard a suggestion via Jonny Trunk (on 6musics's FreakZone) that Bruce is possibly the mystery (and much sampled) drummer on Serge Gainsbourg's incredible Melody Nelson lp. Unlikely to be confirmed, but listening again it does sound like him (thinking of his playing on Poor Ditching Boy or maybe John Martyn's Dancing)...
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

Another Bruce Rowland question...

I heard a suggestion via Jonny Trunk (on 6musics's FreakZone) that Bruce is possibly the mystery (and much sampled) drummer on Serge Gainsbourg's incredible Melody Nelson lp. Unlikely to be confirmed, but listening again it does sound like him (thinking of his playing on Poor Ditching Boy or maybe John Martyn's Dancing)...

Ah...wishful thinking, the drummer on Histoire de Melody Nelson was John Barry Seven man Dougie Wright
BPTNT
5-18

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »

For definite? Knew that was too good to be true...
BPTNT
5-18

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 03:12:43 PM »

Strange...the most recent reissue seems to claims the drummer still to be unknown (even though the wiki entry backs up your suggestion). Likewise, any suggestion that the bassist was Herbie Flowers seem to have since been proved wrong. Problem being, I s'pose, that a huge number of (largely instrumental) sessions took place in a small period of time, involving a large coterie of musicians, not knowing who or what they were playing for...So I'm yet to rule it out completely. And regardless, that album is so great.... Smiley
NickDunning
n3wb

Loc: Godalming, Surrey

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:22 AM »

According to Wikipedia, UK National Service for those of between 17 & 21 years finished in 1963, with the last entrants joining in Nov 1960. Therefore, both Lennon & Bruce would have been liable.

My Dad was born in November 1939 and didn't do National Service. I thought the cut-off may have been the start of WW2.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: