TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bruce Rowland question  (Read 26012 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« on: March 14, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »

Ok, I've had a look on here, and a quick search online, perhaps someone here knows the answer. Don't I recall that the first appearance by ANY Fairport member on an album was not Swarb (as one would expect due to him being a few years older than anyone else when first he joined) but Bruce Rowland. If I recall correctly wasn't it some type of pipe and drum band thing in 1959? I know I saw that somewhere but cannot remember where.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »

Bruce was born in '41 so its certainly quite possible...although I don't know the answer myself I'm afraid.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:36 PM »

Thanks David, just dawned on me I didn't look in the Patrick Humphries book, which may be where I saw it. I will have a look tonight.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »

This sounds familiar...way back in the mists of time (probably some time around 2002, actually), I was at the Gosport & Fareham Easter Folk Festival, and chatting about Fairport-related stuff to the gentleman manning the cd and record stall. He pulled out an ancient LP of marching band music, pointed at one of the massed drummers and informed me that this was Bruce Rowland. So, Robert, you're barking up the right tree here, but the name and year of the album escapes me...anyone else like to take this one further ?
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »

Thanks Dan-nice to know it wasn't a complete invention of my mind! Looked at the Patrick Humphries book last night, couldn't find it there, also checked Unconventional booklet (but theres so much in there I couldn't find it), but no luck. I'm thinking now it may have been mentioned in an old Mojo article that I believe I have still, so will have to check that now.

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »

I've found several 1959 pipe-and-drum albums, but so far, only this one has a shot of the massed band on the cover:
http://classicvinyl.com/romantic/scots-guards-pipes-and-drums-marches-1959-stereo?page=2

I will keep searching

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »

I've found several 1959 pipe-and-drum albums, but so far, only this one has a shot of the massed band on the cover:
http://classicvinyl.com/romantic/scots-guards-pipes-and-drums-marches-1959-stereo?page=2

I will keep searching

aye thats him 3rd rank 4th from the left

The Dude abides
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »

I will keep searching

LOL

I was doubtful about his belonging to a Scots Guard band, being born in Middlesex and all, but I'm not really sure that this would have prevented him from joining that band ...  would it?
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »

Thanks for the research Bob, wish I could find where I saw this written about. For some reason 1959 sticks out in my head but I could be wrong.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »

I will keep searching

Is he the one with a skirt on?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »

Thanks for the research Bob, wish I could find where I saw this written about. For some reason 1959 sticks out in my head but I could be wrong.

Keep searching Robert... nothing worse than losing yer Mojo  Wink

I have a feeling Swarb appeared on at least one of those "Iron Muse"/Radio Ballads LPs, but I think they were early-mid 60s?  Google calls...

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »

Sorry to double-post, but according to Swarb's discography page on his own website, his first record was released in 1962: Ewan MacColl, Alf Roberts, A L Lloyd, Peggy Seeger - "Whaler Out Of New Bedford".

Flobbadob!
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 04:39:19 PM »

Keep searching Robert... nothing worse than losing yer Mojo  Wink

I have a feeling Swarb appeared on at least one of those "Iron Muse"/Radio Ballads LPs, but I think they were early-mid 60s?  Google calls...

Ironically Paul that is what brought the whole thing up for me. I was looking at the book to the Swarb box set  and seeing some of the Radio Ballads stuff he did with Charles Parker and Ewan MacColl back before he had joined the Campbells. Then I thought, don't I remember reading about Bruce having an album before that. The search goes on......  Grin

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »

According to Wikipedia, in 1968, Bruce played drums on the Wynder K. Frog album "Out of the Frying Pan", his first recorded recordings (as it were). I have also found reference to an EP the year before with the same band entitled "Green Door/Dancing Frog".

Demostrably Wikipedia isn't the oracle, if you do get any other info, perhaps you can update his entry.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 05:22:39 PM »

Thanks Andy, this is turning into a quest now! If I do find reference I will update his Oracle, I mean wiki entry  Wink

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 05:25:49 PM »

I'd be pretty surprised if he managed to get to 27 before his 1st recording session?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »

He did a lot of session work, which would have not, in those days, earned him a credit on any recordings. In fact session musicians seldom get a mention even now as they are often - technically and musically - far superior to the "names" on the song. I knew Jon Davie of Home Service in the 1970s - he did a lot of session work back then and seldom got a credit.

I used to know a session singer who "backed" a certain very famous scots lass singer singing quite a few difficult riffs for her on record and occasionally, live. Nary a word of her name was said out loud to the public except perhaps at live concerts.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 06:15:42 PM »

At work, so can't check but just had a thought as to another place I may have seen this-that Pete Frame family tree that came with Fairport Unconventional perhaps? Will have a check later unless anyone has one handy.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »

At work, so can't check but just had a thought as to another place I may have seen this-that Pete Frame family tree that came with Fairport Unconventional perhaps? Will have a check later unless anyone has one handy.

Just checked this particular Pete Frame tree and it takes Bruce's career back to Wynder K Frog, Terry Reid, Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance and Joe Cocker but no further back than that, alas...
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »

Bugger! back to the drawing board then! Thanks for checking Dan, appreciate it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: