TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:33:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Rea R.I.P.  (Read 14415 times)
Thor-Rune

« on: October 29, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »

So sad to read on Swarb's facebook page about the passing of David Rea. David was a member of the Fairports during their troublesome year of 1972 and recorded an unreleased album with the band that year (although some of the songs have been released in later years). This fine folk musician was also involved in rock music, amongst them US hard rock band Mountain for whom he co-wrote their most famous song "Mississippi Queen" amongst others. David also released some solo albums. The title track of the first of these ("Maverick child") was one of the songs he also recorded in his largely unchronicled spell with Fairport Convention. Rest In Peace, David!
RobertL

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »

More..

http://oregonmusicnews.com/2011/10/28/david-rea-guitarist-singer-songwirter-dies-in-portland-at-65/

RIP David Rea
Thor-Rune

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »

Other songs he co-wrote for Mountain was the title track of "Flowers of evil" and "For Yasgur's farm" - their heart felt tribute to Max Yasgur, owner of the site of the Woodstock Festival in 1969 (where Mountain actually appeared).
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 02:18:41 PM »

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. His album "Slewfoot", made with members of The Dead contained a version of "Rosie"

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »

Sad news.I only just found a copy of the Manor Sessions in the past fortnight and I've been listening to that.I had no idea of the connection to Mountain.
R.I.P David.

Well I never did..
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 03:32:36 PM »

RIP David, a fairporter i never got to see with the band, did anyone?

The Dude abides
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »

RIP My Friend

Imponderable Joy
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »

It's a shame that only with sad news do I learn of a Fairport/Grateful Dead connection, despite having been a fan of both for decades. Members of the Dead playing on a version of Rosie?! Wow! I've got to hear that!
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »

Repeat of post I made to the Jefferson Starship board (www.jeffersonstarshipsf.com) yesterday where a regular poster (PurpleCat), who produced Rea's last 2 albums, announced his passing and where they're mostly discussing the Ian & Sylvia or Mountain stuff.

Interesting to hear some different perspectives on Dave Rea.

As a Fairport fan - and never having tracked him anywhere else - it seemed to me that was his big chance - been and gone. Not, er, that Fairport were/are exactly mega-huge on anybody's scale.... but Fairport were at a don't-know-what-the-****-to-do-next stage and Dave & Tom Hill(?) were the first attempt to move forward. Most, including Fairport, say it didn't work and it took the MEGA-arrivals of Jerry Donahue and Trevor Lucas to really get the next phase fired up.

Don't doubt it but nonetheless there are some really nice Rea/Hill tracks knocking about. The Fairport box set has a couple (officially) from the abandoned 'Manor sessions' - there are others appaently if you know where to look. Plus, there is a gorgeous instumental of the Swarbrick-Pegg-Rea-
Farnhill line-up on the Old Grey Whisteltest repeats...again if you know where to look."

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:50:09 AM »

Repeat of post I made to the Jefferson Starship board (www.jeffersonstarshipsf.com) yesterday where a regular poster (PurpleCat), who produced Rea's last 2 albums, announced his passing and where they're mostly discussing the Ian & Sylvia or Mountain stuff.

Interesting to hear some different perspectives on Dave Rea.

As a Fairport fan - and never having tracked him anywhere else - it seemed to me that was his big chance - been and gone. Not, er, that Fairport were/are exactly mega-huge on anybody's scale.... but Fairport were at a don't-know-what-the-****-to-do-next stage and Dave & Tom Hill(?) were the first attempt to move forward. Most, including Fairport, say it didn't work and it took the MEGA-arrivals of Jerry Donahue and Trevor Lucas to really get the next phase fired up.

Don't doubt it but nonetheless there are some really nice Rea/Hill tracks knocking about. The Fairport box set has a couple (officially) from the abandoned 'Manor sessions' - there are others appaently if you know where to look. Plus, there is a gorgeous instumental of the Swarbrick-Pegg-Rea-
Farnhill line-up on the Old Grey Whisteltest repeats...again if you know where to look."

On Fairport Unconventional there is one, not a couple from the Manor Sessions-Maverick Child. Also it was Roger Hill, and Tom Farnell who kicked about with Fairport for a very brief time leading up to the Manor Sessions. I will have to look for the video you mention, but the only one I have seen from that era is The Hanging Song, which does not have David Rea in it. In any case, an interesting guy, RIP

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »

Plus, there is a gorgeous instumental of the Swarbrick-Pegg-Rea-
Farnhill line-up on the Old Grey Whistle Test repeats...again if you know where to look."

Pretty sure David Rea didn't play on the Whistle Test broadcast.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Thor-Rune

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »

The Fairport Unconventional box DOES include two tracks, not just one, from the Manor sessions: "Maverick child" (a David Rea song) and "Sad song" (written by Swarb). On the Swarb box set you can also hear the Manor version of the song "Rosie". On Peggy's box "A box of Pegg's" you can hear the Manor version of "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John". So that's four Manor tracks out there. Did I miss any others?

T-R
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »

Nice work there, Thor-Rune.

Jules

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:53:56 PM »

The Fairport Unconventional box DOES include two tracks, not just one, from the Manor sessions: "Maverick child" (a David Rea song) and "Sad song" (written by Swarb). On the Swarb box set you can also hear the Manor version of the song "Rosie". On Peggy's box "A box of Pegg's" you can hear the Manor version of "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John". So that's four Manor tracks out there. Did I miss any others?

T-R

Serves me right for posting so late in the evening....My mistake, and thanks for the correction. Grin

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »

T-R

Serves me right for posting so late in the evening....My mistake, and thanks for the correction. Grin

No Rosie on my Box of Pegg's, it's the version on Swarb.  Anyway the Rea was a  local musician in the Pacific Northwest. I saw him twice at the Horse Brass pub and never had the nerve to approach him, even though he seemed very down to earth.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 05:28:54 PM »

No Rosie on my Box of Pegg's, it's the version on Swarb.  

Re-read, Neil.  Rosie on Swarb box, Matthew, Mark... on Pegg box.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »

RIP David

Flobbadob!
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »

No Rosie on my Box of Pegg's, it's the version on Swarb.  

Re-read, Neil.  Rosie on Swarb box, Matthew, Mark... on Pegg box.

Jules

aah these old eyes

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
vanessa

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »

May the four winds blow him safely home-R.I.P
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 01:48:26 PM »

Has anything appeared on the main fc site yet that I have missed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: