TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:13:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson, OBE  (Read 47318 times)
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2011, 12:53:40 AM »

whenever I'm explaining to someone who RT is, I've always found it mildly frustrating to refer to him in terms of a band he left nearly 40 years ago. So I describe him as "an amazing English singer/songwriter/guitarist who started his career with Fairport Convention.

That doesn't work in Merka, where precious few of my peers have heard of either RT or FC.

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan, after which I say it's more appropriate to describe Bob Dylan as the Merkin Richard Thompson.

I've alway described him as such:

You can find a better singer, and perhaps a better songwriter......and maybe (shutter)......even a better guitar player.  But - you'll never find a better singer/songwriter/guitar player out there - period.  
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »

whenever I'm explaining to someone who RT is, I've always found it mildly frustrating to refer to him in terms of a band he left nearly 40 years ago. So I describe him as "an amazing English singer/songwriter/guitarist who started his career with Fairport Convention.

That doesn't work in Merka, where precious few of my peers have heard of either RT or FC.

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan, after which I say it's more appropriate to describe Bob Dylan as the Merkin Richard Thompson.

I've alway described him as such:

You can find a better singer, and perhaps a better songwriter......and maybe (shutter)......even a better guitar player.  But - you'll never find a better singer/songwriter/guitar player out there - period.  

That's it - in a nutshell.   Fez

No Left Turn Unstoned
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan,

Much as I love RT, if we are talking lyrics -especially in recent years - that's a bit over the top IMHO.   Huh

I prefer to think of Bob Dylan as the American Richard Thompson.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: