TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:51:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson, OBE  (Read 47319 times)
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

Bloody Fantastic Cheesy

Now which song should he sing to celebrate this...?

Simple. We Sing Halleluja.

Congratulations dear Henry, and HNY a tout ensemble.

Can we all calm down a bit now please?

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »

Outta Body Experience?  Yeah, he's been responsible for a few of them.....for me at least!
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »

...the blanket case also threw up a few other examples - one of which was the blatant cut & pasting of certain RT lyrics into The Battle of Evermore. At the time there was an attempted defence that Sandy Denny had simply unconciously repeated a few phrases from unfinished Fairport demos, but the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. This is also the reason they never used another outside singer again, for fear they would be landed in the same position vis a vis legal fees.

Huh Huh Huh
Several bizarre claims here. Can you produce any sources?

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »

Several bizarre claims here. Can you produce any sources?

Of course. The notorious Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel vs. Goatboy case of 1974. There was some unpleasantry involving the provenance of a theramin riff, as I recall. Very unsavoury. It was referred to in Hansard at the time and there's a mention at pp. 274 of The Electric Muse by Rob Young.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »

I shall talk on this very subject to my nephew who has list for a barrister (??) - might prove interesting.  Smiley

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »

The notorious Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel vs. Goatboy case of 1974.

Ah yes, terrible business that was, still, all water under the bridge now.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2011, 07:32:23 PM »

I see The Guardian refers to "guitarist and songwriter Richard Thompson, once of Fairport Convention but also a writer of lyrics for Robert Plant and Elvis Costello".
Did I miss something?!!
Maybe. Are you aware that Percy covered RT's House of Cards on his latest release, Band of Joy? And that Elvis has covered a few of his songs ... 'course RT wrote more than the lyrics, so the article is inaccurate in that respect,

Indeed. I would, perhaps pedantically, point out that 'being covered by' is different from 'writing lyrics [and/or music] for'. It just annoys me when journalists don't do their research - it wouldn't have taken too much digging to get it right.

Although technically correct, I think this probably refers to a couple of under-publicised court cases from the mid-eighties. Around the time that Led Zep were being pulled up for 'borrowing' certain lyrics (the most famous being either the lemon-squeezing reference or Howlin' Wolf's You need love refrain) the blanket case also threw up a few other examples - one of which was the blatant cut & pasting of certain RT lyrics into The Battle of Evermore. At the time there was an attempted defence that Sandy Denny had simply unconciously repeated a few phrases from unfinished Fairport demos, but the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum. This is also the reason they never used another outside singer again, for fear they would be landed in the same position vis a vis legal fees.
Similarly, passages from Henry The Human Fly's The Angels Took My Racehorse Away turned up in Elvis Costello's The Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes and the case was quietly settled without recourse to m'learned friends, one of the conditions being that Costello record a number of RT songs in order to provide a secondary stream of income from the subsequent publishing rights.
 It is no coincidence that shortly after these two settlements were reached Thompson was able to afford to move to California. In a similar vein, should Simon Nicol ever become enobled, there will probably be some reference to him writing songs for Tom Robinson, after segments of M1 Breakdown (from the eponymous first album) were used in 2-4-6-8 Motorway.
 It's all there on Wikipedia, so lazy, but not necessarily innaccurate reporting! I blame the sub-editor.

You been overdoing the New Year vino, mate?
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #87 on: January 02, 2011, 01:27:34 AM »

Well done RT! Great to see recognition for folk music (which someone has already said elsewhere). If gongs are good enough for the likes of Rick Parfitt and Francis Rossi, then by heck it's time Richard got one.  Grin Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2011, 11:20:02 PM »

RT gets a gong, eh?  I didn't see that one coming!   Shocked

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:26 PM »

Can't say I'm all that bothered about the Honours List but if it brings his music to a wider audience then that can only be a good thing.

But it's nice to see him get some recognition and I've found a web site that doesn't just mention Fairport...  

http://timberandsteel.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/richard-thompson-awarded-obe/

More importantly it's not long now til his gigs at The Lowry. I'll be there on the Saturday. Cool

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jamie

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »

This is fun - and quite illuminating, in its way:

http://wrongagain2.blogspot.com/
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »

Hmmm - Indeed, the blogger is 'wrong again' to omit to note that members of the public can *also* nominate worthy individuals, along with the committee he does mention.

I think it is highly likely that someone from amongst hias fanbase (which includes his fellow musicians, of course) nominated him via the forms on the DirectGov website.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2011, 02:51:45 PM »

The blog does make a reasonable point that the only reference the average person has to RT is Fairport Convention, and, of course that The Guardian should've known better. For instance, whenever I'm explaining to someone who RT is, I've always found it mildly frustrating to refer to him in terms of a band he left nearly 40 years ago. So I describe him as "an amazing English singer/songwriter/guitarist who started his career with Fairport Convention."

Cue next line : "Fairport Convention ? Oh yeah, I remember them, are they still going ? " !!!! Huh  Huh
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »

whenever I'm explaining to someone who RT is, I've always found it mildly frustrating to refer to him in terms of a band he left nearly 40 years ago. So I describe him as "an amazing English singer/songwriter/guitarist who started his career with Fairport Convention.

That doesn't work in Merka, where precious few of my peers have heard of either RT or FC.

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan, after which I say it's more appropriate to describe Bob Dylan as the Merkin Richard Thompson.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan

That doesn't cover his guitar playing though, for which you have to add that he's the English Neil Young as well.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan,

Much as I love RT, if we are talking lyrics -especially in recent years - that's a bit over the top IMHO.   Huh

No Left Turn Unstoned
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »

I always like Nick Hornby's description from High Fidelity: 'He's a singer-songwriter and Britain's finest electric guitarist' or words to that effect.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2011, 08:39:06 PM »

The OBE will further restore Richard Thompson’s status at the top table of British musical heroes as a folk revolutionary, one of the world’s greatest guitarists, a must-see performer and one of the finest songwriters this country has ever produced.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts-and-culture/touching-from-a-distance/6586998/music-richard-thompson-obe.thtml

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »

I describe him as the English Bob Dylan,

Much as I love RT, if we are talking lyrics -especially in recent years - that's a bit over the top IMHO.   Huh

If we are comparing Dylan's most recent output to RT's lyrical inventiveness then to promote Dylan as a superior to Thompson lyrically is a fallacy.

Anyway congratulations on the OBE are in order, recognition even in a flawed system is often hard to come by for artists on the fringe and should be celebrated and in this age of political stance for the sake of headlines than acceptance may very well be the most subversive thing to do.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »

I say congratulations. When Martin Carthy got his MBE (I think...American speaking here, I may have gotten that wrong, but thought it was MBE) a few years ago, I believe he really had a crisis of conscience about it. I could have imagined Martin especially saying stuff it, and storming off. I seem to remember reading at the time that he decided to accept it in the name of all the unsung folk singers like Walter Pardon, Copper Family, Sam Larner, etc, who inspired and influenced him. Maybe thats the spirit Richard views it in...maybe he views it the same as being elected to the Nebraska Folk Music Hall Of Fame...a somewhat hollow honor, but an honor nonetheless. Congratulations Richard.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: