TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:32:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woodworm Studios - End of an Era  (Read 6873 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: November 12, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »

The current owner, Steve Hill, is requesting planning consent to convert the studios into a dwelling....

Planning application online here

Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 01:19:47 AM »

Wow.  Do you think someone's specifically interested in living there, or that the plan's a renovation 'n sell for a bijillion pounds?

I didn't realize the band didn't own the space.  Sigh.
Viv G

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »

Such a shame. If I had the money I'd love to buy it as it is for my son.He'd love to have his own studio!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »

Wow.  Do you think someone's specifically interested in living there, or that the plan's a renovation 'n sell for a bijillion pounds?

I didn't realize the band didn't own the space.  Sigh.

It went in 'the divorce' I think...circa 2003?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
LauraPountney

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »

I've looked at the planning application because if they were doing it to sell on, I'd love to live there with the history.  But it looks like they're converting to a kind of granny flat for a dependent relative.  The studio hasn't been making money due to recession (according to the application anyway)
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »

I understand that recording studios make less and less money because of the rise in computing power and other clever modern things. Down the road from me is the legendary Olympic Studios, where A Sailor's Life was recorded. They closed a while ago and plans are afoot to turn them into a posh cinema. Which is what they were in the twenties.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 02:56:14 PM »

I understand that recording studios make less and less money because of the rise in computing power and other clever modern things. Down the road from me is the legendary Olympic Studios, where A Sailor's Life was recorded. They closed a while ago and plans are afoot to turn them into a posh cinema. Which is what they were in the twenties.

Excellent.  Just before I die I fully expect to hear that the posh cinema is being closed down to turn into a recording studio.  It all makes some sort of sense.  Possibly.   Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: