TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 05, 2024, 12:39:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like to see at Cropredy 2011?  (Read 317543 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2010, 09:31:01 PM »

I saw Showaddywaddy a few years ago and they were actually quite good. I was drunk at the time though  Roll Eyes
There, I've admitted it. They say admittance is the first step....  Undecided

Their last album, a set of classics recorded at Sun Studios, was surprisingly (to me at least) good.  I reckon they'd go down a storm in a 10cc/Quo slot.

Showaddywaddy?  Only if Sir Jimmy Saville introduces them.   Grin
Jules

ha ha - or Hugh Dennis.......  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »

Right, that's enough votes for HMHB to make a formal request. I'll ask nigel if they'll do it when i see em wednesday Cheesy

Did you see them at the Robin? Is it true that Dean Friedman guested?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »

Absolutely... see the recent gigs thread  Wink

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »

Stanley Clarke, Jean Luc Ponty & Al Di Meola Smiley  Playing The Rite Of Strings Smiley  (Or anything they damn well fancy, really...).

Throw in Philippe Catherine too.

I'd forgotten about him, is he still around? Did he do an album called Guitars, with a lass on the front looking rather chilly on account of having forgotten to put any togs on? I'll dig it out. I'm sure my 20 year old self only bought it because of the sleeve art. By the way, if I find out that there's any possibility of Dean Friedman being anywhere near Cropredy next year I'll scream.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »

Embarrassed Showaddywaddy was the first band I ever saw live (and they were great-Hey Rock'n Roll stomp.stomp.stomp!!!) but I never tell people that.My second gig was the first Monsters Of Rock at Donington and I had a guest pass, which is way cooler, so I always tell people that.
I'd like to see Motorhead play at Croppers, just to see how long it takes the field to clear.The sound of chairs being folded up in a hurry could well drown out the band.

The first band I ever saw was "The Dooleys" when I was about 9. I seem to remember enjoying it at the time, but haven't heard any of their records since!

I think I'd prefer the Dooleys to Jazz, but I'd draw the line at Showaddywaddy. Grin
I wasnt suggesting Dean Freidman by the way, but I'd love to see HMHB.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »

Embarrassed Showaddywaddy was the first band I ever saw live (and they were great-Hey Rock'n Roll stomp.stomp.stomp!!!) but I never tell people that.My second gig was the first Monsters Of Rock at Donington and I had a guest pass, which is way cooler, so I always tell people that.
I'd like to see Motorhead play at Croppers, just to see how long it takes the field to clear.The sound of chairs being folded up in a hurry could well drown out the band.

The first band I ever saw was "The Dooleys" when I was about 9. I seem to remember enjoying it at the time, but haven't heard any of their records since!

I think I'd prefer the Dooleys to Jazz, but I'd draw the line at Showaddywaddy. Grin
I wasnt suggesting Dean Freidman by the way, but I'd love to see HMHB.

Yeah so would I, but not if Dean might turn up. It's just not worth the risk.

I am astonished at this anti-Jazz sentiment. Is it all aspects of the Genre, just bibbly-wibbly, just trad., just bebop, just swing or what?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2010, 09:30:18 AM »

I am astonished at this anti-Jazz sentiment. Is it all aspects of the Genre, just bibbly-wibbly, just trad., just bebop, just swing or what?

I admit to being surprised as well, I would have thought some lovely chilled out jazz would be just the thing on a warm afternoon.. someone like Theo Travis for instance..... Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »

For me  it is the bibbly wibbly as I just don't get it!  Everyone playing against each other, using notes that just don;t go together, sorry it leaves me cold (NICE!!!) and add a bit of SCATT singing?  debop edoo da de, I'm out of the door

However I am partial to a bit of trad jazz, Acker, Kenny etc, just an hour or so would be fun!

Not been for a while
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:11 AM »

As I've said before didn't used to be a fan of Jazz. But, after the wonderful set by Martin Taylor, definitely a convert.

Though as one of my favourite bands, Gong, have a definite jazz feel, perhaps I've always liked it. Confused.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »

What about "The Hollies"?

I like Jazz - Soft Machine,  Miles Davis Electric period, E.S.T, Phronesis, Neil Cowley, Polar Bear, Acoustic Ladyland, Get the Blessing, Kit Downes Trio, The-Quartet, TrioVD, Portico Quartet. There's some great music out there, and a whole load of it from young British bands. Not really keen on trad jazz, though.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »

For me  it is the bibbly wibbly as I just don't get it!  Everyone playing against each other, using notes that just don;t go together, sorry it leaves me cold (NICE!!!) and add a bit of SCATT singing?  debop edoo da de, I'm out of the door

However I am partial to a bit of trad jazz, Acker, Kenny etc, just an hour or so would be fun!

I must say I agree about scat singing. Excruciatingly embarassing. It's this "I don't like everything from Scott Joplin to George Benson or Courtney Pine" that amazes me. It's not all the same!  Putting something in a box and then despising it is just what has happened to Folk for so long. It's all Music!
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »

Yes, I agree with what your saying, as when I mention folk music to peolpe who have never listened to any, they usually say something like hey nonny no, or they know one line from all around my hat!.  

Not been for a while
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »

Hmmmmmm. Niiiiice open minds. All very well objecting to one act, but a whole genre? Give us an idea where you draw the line, it must be a bit blurry around the Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Herbie Hancock, Carlos Santana, Average White Band, Georgie Fame, Jaco Pastorius, John McLaughlin areas. I bet you don't hear any jazz down the Lowick Community Hall.

Sorry, but when rock music moves close to jazz music then I start losing interest.  Of all the names you list above, I'm only a fan of Grateful Dead, and even they leave me cold when they get caught up in freeform expression and long improvisation.  And yes I know that's not the only kind of jazz, but then the other kinds don't set me alight either.  It's just not my bag.  I'm not saying it's bad music, just that it's not my thing.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »

I admit to being surprised as well, I would have thought some lovely chilled out jazz would be just the thing on a warm afternoon.. someone like Theo Travis for instance..... Smiley

Theo's a genius on his instrument.  But, again, he's, imho, much better when crossing over to the Rock sphere (Gong, for instance) than when 'stuck' solely in the jazz genre.  Theo and Fripp are great, but haven't a chance of working in a festival field.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »

But, again, he's, imho, much better when crossing over to the Rock sphere (Gong, for instance) than when 'stuck' solely in the jazz genre.

Gong?  Bloody Gong?!  Come back jazz, all is forgiven!   Tongue

Jules

Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2010, 10:31:54 AM »

But, again, he's, imho, much better when crossing over to the Rock sphere (Gong, for instance) than when 'stuck' solely in the jazz genre.

Jules

Gong? Excellent - I shall wear my 'Bambaloni Yoni' teeshirt  Grin Grin Grin

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »

Jules

Gong are bloody marvelous, Jules.  And, surely above criticism of any sort?   Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »

Hmmmmmm. Niiiiice open minds. All very well objecting to one act, but a whole genre? Give us an idea where you draw the line, it must be a bit blurry around the Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, Herbie Hancock, Carlos Santana, Average White Band, Georgie Fame, Jaco Pastorius, John McLaughlin areas. I bet you don't hear any jazz down the Lowick Community Hall.

Of all the names you list above, I'm only a fan of Grateful Dead

I don't know why but it surprises me to hear you are not a fan of Steely Dan. I'll grant that it has been diminishing returns after Aja but I would argue the run of albums from Can't Buy A Thrill to Aja is a 70s output to rival Stevie Wonder & David Bowie in terms of consistency and originality during the same period.

And just to bring it back on topic. Steely Dan for Cropredy please (though they are not by most accounts a great live band. Definitely studio animals.)
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »

I'd like to see you, GubGub, at Cropredy 2011 (wearing a fez)  Fez

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:39 AM »

Gong are bloody marvelous, Jules.  

You spelled "bloody silly" wrong there, David.

The worst album I ever bought was that Flying Teapot thing.  I thought they'd be a bit Pink Floyd-y.  Bought it, brought it home, played it, felt embarassed and somewhat nauseous, and promptly hid it in my wardrobe and tried to forget it existed.  Horrible!

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: