TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:24:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rare" FC Poster on eBay  (Read 44806 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 05:10:39 PM »

Hi Andy, Iain doesn't remember the show, but it is true to say that he is interested in the poster for archives, its a curio for sure :-)

Ok, what he actually said was "Hello. This is Iain Matthews. I played that show in '68 with Fairport and would really like to have the poster for my archives" so I figured if he said he played the gig, he must have some recollection. Silly me.

So it could be a fake, after all?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
jonnybrilliant

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »

Hey Andy, I wasn't being prissy, promise! I suspect he thought about it some more after sending the question to seller. When I spoke to him on Friday about it, he was sure he had no direct recollection of the show. My personal feeling is that its a 'wrong-un' but just my opinion..And Dan - umm yeh! Highly likely that limited framed prints of the castle poster will be available in the next few weeks....
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 05:37:11 PM »

Then you should contact the seller and ebay because this is potentially a fraudulent sale.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »

Then you should contact the seller and ebay because this is potentially a fraudulent sale.

Isn't that a ludicrous concept.  Everything is potentially a fraudulent sale.  Especially anything that comes with a 'certificate of authenticity', which are the most ludicrous concept ever.  If you look at the sellers other sales, he's got plenty of other items including some from the same venue at the same time.  He's also got very good feedback.  I'd be very surprised if its not genuine, or at least not believed to be genuine.  Like most things of a certain vintage (and particular autographs - I read one estimate that said 97% of all autographs on eBay are fakes!), you pays your money and takes your choice.  I'd certainly spend my money on it (and will if its still within range, which it won't be!)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »

The same seller is also offering this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150470923837 which appears to be for the following Saturday and refers to a Rag Ball so was it for a college event that was held off-campus?

I've had a rummage on some our electronic newspapers in the vain hope of a note or even a review but can't see anything. It looks like the printers are no longer in existence. It's all very intriguing.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 10:29:28 PM »

I didn't mean to say the seller was fraudulent, just that if no-one can remember being there, they might not have been.

jonnybrilliant

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »

I also feel that the seller is totally genuine, and not trying to decieve anybody, and at first glance, and even second, it looks totally right. My own gut feeling, which has a little worth I think, having bought and sold this type of thing (like a couple of you others) is that this was a college project, and was probably reproduced in small numbers for an exam piece. Thats my feeling, and this is backed up, mainly by a) No previous record of this gig on the net, or in any listings of early FC gigs, and by Judy's fairly firm insistance that she doesn't remember the show. Though, of course, it was a long time ago, and she could be wrong.

Either way, it is a valuable piece of FC history, be it a 'genuine' gig poster, or a 'genuine' piece of FC pop art. My guess is that with its 'undoubted interesting story' as a curio it is worth £200+ and I'd certainly like to own it, as I am sure would many other people.

What it is, for definate, is a rarity, and possibly now, 42 years on, a unique piece.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »

I also feel that the seller is totally genuine, and not trying to decieve anybody, and at first glance, and even second, it looks totally right. My own gut feeling, which has a little worth I think, having bought and sold this type of thing (like a couple of you others) is that this was a college project, and was probably reproduced in small numbers for an exam piece. Thats my feeling, and this is backed up, mainly by a) No previous record of this gig on the net, or in any listings of early FC gigs, and by Judy's fairly firm insistance that she doesn't remember the show. Though, of course, it was a long time ago, and she could be wrong.

Either way, it is a valuable piece of FC history, be it a 'genuine' gig poster, or a 'genuine' piece of FC pop art. My guess is that with its 'undoubted interesting story' as a curio it is worth £200+ and I'd certainly like to own it, as I am sure would many other people.

What it is, for definate, is a rarity, and possibly now, 42 years on, a unique piece.

you are the seller and i claim my £5

The Dude abides
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »

The same seller is also offering this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150470923837 which appears to be for the following Saturday and refers to a Rag Ball so was it for a college event that was held off-campus?

That one doesn't seem to completely add up either. The support act The Nightriders, who at different times included Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne, had changed their name to The Idle Race by that point, at least a year before the gig in question I would have thought.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 07:40:22 AM »

That one doesn't seem to completely add up either. The support act The Nightriders, who at different times included Roy Wood and Jeff Lynne, had changed their name to The Idle Race by that point, at least a year before the gig in question I would have thought.

And the seller is totally honest and upfront about it not completely adding up as well.  I'd pay a tenner for that one and a lot more for the FC one, myself, mind!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2010, 07:41:57 AM »

you are the seller and i claim my £5  Wink

ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »

This might be a bit daft, but is it definitely a Welsh parish hall?  Where does it say that?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2010, 05:06:53 PM »

It doesn't, does it? So it could have been anywhere...

I wonder:
a) if the Ready, Steady, Sow (as in seed, rather than female pig) is a pun - Sow being a shortened version of a placename (or a nickname), and

b) if the "support act" is in fact the name of the promoters?

Flobbadob!
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

Hi All - bit of advice if possible please.

Reading this thread reminded me I have an oiginal festival poster for the 8th National Jazz and Blues festival at Sunbury 9-11th Aug 1968 featuring, amongst others, Fairport (twice), Jethro Tull, The Nice, Jeff Beck and Traffic.

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 07:53:55 PM »

Reading this thread reminded me I have an oiginal festival poster for the 8th National Jazz and Blues festival at Sunbury 9-11th Aug 1968 featuring, amongst others, Fairport (twice), Jethro Tull, The Nice, Jeff Beck and Traffic.

Depending on condition, anything from £50-£250 I'd say, possibly more if its in truly exceptional condition.

ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 03:53:19 PM »

It doesn't, does it? So it could have been anywhere...

I wonder:
a) if the Ready, Steady, Sow (as in seed, rather than female pig) is a pun - Sow being a shortened version of a placename (or a nickname), and

b) if the "support act" is in fact the name of the promoters?

I'd certainly agree with both of these.
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »

How about a celebration of spring...time to sow the fields?

Just a thought.
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 02:10:11 PM »

Depending on condition, anything from £50-£250 I'd say, possibly more if its in truly exceptional condition.

If you put it on hte Cropredy car boot sale I'll give ay a tenner for it
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »

If you put it on hte Cropredy car boot sale I'll give ay a tenner for it

thats more realistic but still about £9.50 too much for a fairport relic with nothing to validate it

The Dude abides
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 10:51:03 PM »

D'ye know how much anything is worth? It's worth what anybody will pay for it, that's what. Or is it........................??
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: