TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:21:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New RT Double cd  (Read 44257 times)
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2010, 12:41:42 PM »

Does anyone just listen to the sound without disecting the lyrics?

Me.

Me too! The playing, tunes, texture, and sound is everything initially. Although I do tend to pay more attention to lyrics after repeated listens, and time for the songs to grow. Smiley

Looking forward to going into Oxford tomorrow to buy this CD ! Cool
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »

Great album I agree. But when it comes to calling Sting for singing in an accent not that of his native city, isn't this a slight case of pots and kettles?

Yeah, what is that accent used by RT? It's prevalent mostly on the ballads. I prefer the mock-gypsy one from the early years!!  Grin

No matter how I try, I can't work out what a Mock-Gypsy (or indeed real Gypsy) accent might be. Please enlighten me.

It's easy. Imagine a little bit of cockney mixed with a little southern Irish. Think 'Nobody's Wedding' on RT's first solo album. Grin

I know what RT sounds like, there just ain't such a thing as a Gypsy accent, ergo there's no such thing as a fake Gypsy accent.

I beg to differ old son. What is the accent used by Sandy on, 'It suits me well'  if it's not a gypsy accent??  Now come on.  Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »

Great album I agree. But when it comes to calling Sting for singing in an accent not that of his native city, isn't this a slight case of pots and kettles?

Yeah, what is that accent used by RT? It's prevalent mostly on the ballads. I prefer the mock-gypsy one from the early years!!  Grin

No matter how I try, I can't work out what a Mock-Gypsy (or indeed real Gypsy) accent might be. Please enlighten me.

It's easy. Imagine a little bit of cockney mixed with a little southern Irish. Think 'Nobody's Wedding' on RT's first solo album. Grin

I know what RT sounds like, there just ain't such a thing as a Gypsy accent, ergo there's no such thing as a fake Gypsy accent.

I beg to differ old son. What is the accent used by Sandy on, 'It suits me well'  if it's not a gypsy accent??  Now come on.  Roll Eyes

I think what you may have is the young singers idea of what a folk singer should sing like.

So after much, well some, well listening to two songs, research and deliberation  the only difference to my ears apart from age (of my ears as well) of course is that RT seems to have less of a nasal tone in his singing than in the early days.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »

Everyone has a different idea of how a folk singer "should" sound - go to certain London Folk Clubs and you can hear bleating sheep in abundance - and they never look you in the face!!! Roll Eyes
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2010, 01:00:21 PM »

Ok, here goes. I am from Gypsy decent, Irish. My father worked with the Gypsy community in his job as a scrap metal dealer.
As a funeral director I have dealt with may Gypsy funerals over nearly thirty years.
In West Kent there is a discernable accent/patois used by older members of the community. This is different to East Sussex where i now live, which is different to Irish which is different to...
Saying there is a Gypsy accent is the same as saying that there is an English accent.

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »

Mock-Gypsy? It's the same as Mock-Tudor, only with wheels.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »

Ok, here goes. I am from Gypsy decent, Irish. My father worked with the Gypsy community in his job as a scrap metal dealer.
As a funeral director I have dealt with may Gypsy funerals over nearly thirty years.
In West Kent there is a discernable accent/patois used by older members of the community. This is different to East Sussex where i now live, which is different to Irish which is different to...
Saying there is a Gypsy accent is the same as saying that there is an English accent.

Thanks my friend. That's cleared that up then!   Fez

No Left Turn Unstoned
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »

Now I've listened to the CDs a few times, I find I prefer the acoustic version.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:40 PM »

Now I've listened to the CDs a few times, I find I prefer the acoustic version.

I agree Adrian, and so does my wife. I do love some of the soloing on the electric album though, in fact it's absolutely breathtaking.  Cool

No Left Turn Unstoned
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »

I get into the solos a tad too much...  Got some strange looks on the bus this morning with Sidney Wells going on the old headphones...

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #110 on: October 07, 2010, 08:20:06 PM »

I get into the solos a tad too much...  Got some strange looks on the bus this morning with Sidney Wells going on the old headphones...

Nothing wrong with that Greg!!  Sidney Wells has an excellent solo, but my I think favourite solo is the one on the last track (the name of which escapes me, and I can't be arsed to go and find it!)  Tongue

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: