TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:19:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New RT Double cd  (Read 44256 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2010, 09:00:14 PM »

I do like the way RT shouts "Let's dance!" and goes into some morris tunes*.  Grin

*attention, the Morris Police, that's what they sound like to me.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »

I was thinking how much better it would have sounded with DM on drums!!
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2010, 09:20:51 PM »

Great album I agree. But when it comes to calling Sting for singing in an accent not that of his native city, isn't this a slight case of pots and kettles?
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »

I was thinking how much better it would have sounded with DM on drums!!

Mmm, I love Michael Jerome's drumming, he's been working with RT since 1999 (apart from one tour where Earl Harvin subbed for him), so must be doing something right to earn his spot on that particular drumstool. Surely if RT wanted DM in his band then he'd have him in his band. (disclaimer : I also think that DM is one of the greats, by the way)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »

Jerome is a drumming genius, little kit, big sound
DM is my homeboy and will always be
RT can choose who he wants to drum for him and he  currently goes with MJ
maybe DM wasnt as available as he used to be

The Dude abides
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:45 AM »

Great album I agree. But when it comes to calling Sting for singing in an accent not that of his native city, isn't this a slight case of pots and kettles?

From Richard's own Q&A page:

One of these has come up on the RT list, and I thought I'd take the plunge....thanks.
Q. It seems that everyone assumes "Here Comes Geordie" was inspired by Sting. Confirm or deny as you will...either way, what, exactly, do you have against this Geordie fellow? Has Sting--or, all right, "the real Geordie"--really done anything deserving of such knifework? It sounds like your indignation goes beyond aesthetic grounds. How does the argument made here compare with the case against Kenny G in "I Agree With Pat Metheny"?

I can see why people think this is about Sting, but it is mere coincidence. I wrote the song about another person, who mortally insulted a good friend of mine, and deserves to be publicly flogged. So letÕs end all this Sting speculation.
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »

I'd love to see Richard perform Sidney Wells backed by the current Fairport lineup.  Cropredy 2011?  With a release on an official live CD?  Please?  Sidney Wells is my favorite RT solo track ever.  I just looped the acoustic version for like half an hour and am now back to the electric incarnation.  Wow.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »

Regardless of the Stingy-ness of the subject or not, once RT has had a go at 'Geordie' for sounding like he comes from "Jamaicee" (which in itself is a scan shoehorning of spectacular stripe), his own pronunciation of "Charm" on 'Sidney Wells' takes on a whole new, astonishing aspect. Where's "Chheeeeaarrrrmmm!" supposed to be from? Unless it's an Oasis homage...  Roll Eyes  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »

Yeah, what is that accent used by RT? It's prevalent mostly on the ballads. I prefer the mock-gypsy one from the early years!!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2010, 06:41:06 PM »

Yeah, what is that accent used by RT? It's prevalent mostly on the ballads. I prefer the mock-gypsy one from the early years!!  Grin

No matter how I try, I can't work out what a Mock-Gypsy (or indeed real Gypsy) accent might be. Please enlighten me.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2010, 06:55:11 PM »

No matter how I try, I can't work out what a Mock-Gypsy (or indeed real Gypsy) accent might be. Please enlighten me.

It's easy. Imagine a little bit of cockney mixed with a little southern Irish. Think 'Nobody's Wedding' on RT's first solo album. Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »

Richard's voice hasn't changed much over the years since I first knew him other than in gaining confidence richness and maturity. Think you'll find it's his own unique accent.
But that's just my opinion of course..... Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »

Agreed...well summed up Jude ! His voice is certainly unique, dark and special...
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:37 PM »

It's easy. Imagine a little bit of cockney mixed with a little southern Irish. Think 'Nobody's Wedding' on RT's first solo album. Grin

I know what RT sounds like, there just ain't such a thing as a Gypsy accent, ergo there's no such thing as a fake Gypsy accent.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »

'Don't sing with,don't sing with,don't sing with no fake gypsy accents'....

Well I never did..
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2010, 08:43:57 PM »

The other one I forgot to mention is 'Old changing way' of course.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »

I prefer RT's voice now as opposed to the standard folkie accent of the early 70's..Dream Attic is something of a typical RT album: 5 or 6 brilliant songs, 4 or 5 typical RT standards and a couple of "what on earth??" tracks..Lyrically there are a couple of tracks which do nothing for me ("Money Shuffle" is ahrdly the most witty insightful blast at the recent economic woes and "Here Comes Geordie" is the sort of barb a la Kenny G, Janet Jackson etc that is fine for a laugh as a download but grates with repeated listens).  The major plus is the enthusiasm of the band and the great instrumental work from all concerned..

Thank Drunk I'm God
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »

Does anyone just listen to the sound without disecting the lyrics?
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »

Me.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2010, 12:05:43 PM »

Fans of Roni Size and Reprazent are particularly prone to this type of behaviour, I believe, yes.   Cool

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: