TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:35:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sandy Denny box set  (Read 122868 times)
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

I find myself wondering if any of the Sandy & Trevor Attic Tracks CD are on there, as it isn't mentioned, although a lot of the stuff from the extras discs are from the same period.

Far as I can see, all the Sandy studio tracks from the Attic CD are on the box. The previously issued Walthamstow solo recording of 'No End' is the last track on CD16, but we also get take 1 of that session, where she decided to swap the order of verses around. What's unique to the Attic CD are the three tracks taken from the original Royalty concert tapes. On the box we have the 1998 Gold Dust release with re-recorded guitars, new overdubs etc.

I say hang on to everything.  Smiley

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »

What about the Box Of Treasures set though?  Is that one now redundant?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Philip W

« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »

What about the Box Of Treasures set though?  Is that one now redundant?

Jules

Well, as you pointed out earlier Jules, the new box does not include the BBC stuff, so the BBC tracks on Boxful are not replicated. You probably get everything else from Boxful on the new box.

"Redundant"? I don't really understand this line of argument and the amount of negative energy swirling around. Every past release will have something unique about it, if it's only the liner notes or the photos. If you're a collector - and especially if you're the kind of crazed Sandy nut who is prepared to shell out 150 quid on her behalf - you'll want to keep everything.

Another point, which I've noticed some satisfied customers making elsewhere, is that even the things you have heard before come up in better sound quality on these remasters. Rather as the photos in the book, transferred where possible from the original negs, are so much better quality than we've seen before.  

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »

Well, as you pointed out earlier Jules, the new box does not include the BBC stuff, so the BBC tracks on Boxful are not replicated. You probably get everything else from Boxful on the new box.

But all the BBC things will also be on the BBC box, right?

"Redundant"? I don't really understand this line of argument and the amount of negative energy swirling around. Every past release will have something unique about it, if it's only the liner notes or the photos.

As much as I like a nice book or some good liner notes, they aren't enough for me to keep a CD or a boxed set if all the tracks are available elsewhere.  They're certainly not enough for me to buy something when I have all the tracks already.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

As much as I like a nice book or some good liner notes, they aren't enough for me to keep a CD or a boxed set if all the tracks are available elsewhere.  They're certainly not enough for me to buy something when I have all the tracks already.

Jules

Nor me usually, though I did fall for the Richard Thompson box last year because of the packaging which I rather regret now. I have absolutely no reason to play it.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »

...arrived today, and since I 've read reports of a missing disc, just opened it to check everything was there. It was and I was stunned - Swedes stun easily  Grin - when I browsed through the book. Obviously a labour of love, as the whole box, the book turned into a time journey.
Suffice to say, I will spend plenty of time during the Holidays to play all discs.
To the people behind it: thank you!

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2010, 04:53:19 PM »

Just received the following from Amazon UK.

Hello,

We are contacting you regarding your order for the following item:

--------------------------------------------------
B003N18PI2

Sandy Denny (Box Set)
--------------------------------------------------

It has been brought to our attention that some customers have had an issue with the tray part of the box set.

The record label has informed us that customers can order a free replacement tray from sandydenny@sandbag.uk.com should this be required.

Can't say I've had any problems so far. Has anyone else?

Dave
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »

I got that too, Dave.  My tray is just dandy.  Mind you, I must get around to checking all the discs are present and correct, after Nick's wee scare and all.

Jules

Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #188 on: December 15, 2010, 12:26:45 AM »

Can't say I've had any problems so far. Has anyone else?

In direct contrast to everything else in the box the tray is pretty cheap and shoddy. As my other half so eloquently commented it's of a similar quality to what you'd find separating the custard creams from the bourbons in a selection box of biscuits - not really the standard you'd expect of something that's retailing for just short of £250 in high street shops. The velvet-effect finish attempts to give it the appearance of quality, but it's flimsy and wafer-thin, in fact mine's so thin that the two 'wells' that hold the CDs are holed in a couple of places. I'd heard a few stories about some having split or shattered in transit, so when mine arrived relatively intact I thought that was about as good as it was likely to get and decided against returning it.
rich w

« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »

Are they pressing any more of the box?

Some lunatic is trying to sell copies fro $1100 on Amazon US.
Philip W

« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2011, 12:09:16 PM »

Article by Rob Young in the Guardian today:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jan/08/sandy-denny-folk-music-singer

Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2011, 02:17:40 PM »

He gives the impression that Sandy left Fairport after Liege & Lief never to return, but I suppose he may have decided not to mention her 2nd tenure with Fairport for the sake of brevity. He also seems to believe, incorrectly, that "The Battle of Evermore" is included in the new box set.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »

He gives the impression that Sandy left Fairport after Liege & Lief never to return, but I suppose he may have decided not to mention her 2nd tenure with Fairport for the sake of brevity. He also seems to believe, incorrectly, that "The Battle of Evermore" is included in the new box set.

Yes!  Yes!  No bloody excuses.  If he actually wrote this after being sent a review copy I'd be furious.... mumble, grumble (for me not being able to afford it!).  I am joking I suppose but the errors, particularly that clunking great one at the end of Paragraph 2 aren't ok for somebody as supposedly well versed in the subject as him.  If you believe his version, then Sandy is also entirely responsible for turning the group onto English folk song, which is clearly nonsense....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »

Yes!  Yes!  No bloody excuses.  If he actually wrote this after being sent a review copy I'd be furious.... mumble, grumble (for me not being able to afford it!).  I am joking I suppose but the errors, particularly that clunking great one at the end of Paragraph 2 aren't ok for somebody as supposedly well versed in the subject as him.  If you believe his version, then Sandy is also entirely responsible for turning the group onto English folk song, which is clearly nonsense....

It is a bit bizarre that he makes two such glaring errors - especially when his book is so thorough. I hope no one buys the box set on his recommendation that it includes Evermore.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »

At least someone's commented on these errors at the bottom of the actual article...
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2011, 05:47:07 PM »

I'm now listening to the alternate take of No End (disc 8 track 15) again and again.  It's a lovely song with fine rhythm work by Pegg and Mattacks.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »

At least someone's commented on these errors at the bottom of the actual article...

Funny that  Wink
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »

Funny that  Wink

Ah ! Do I hear the sound of a penny dropping ?  Wink
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2011, 09:05:11 AM »

Anyone know how many copies of the box were produced?

Jules

Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:17 AM »

J
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: