TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:45:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashley Hutchings' Lark Rise Band - Theatre Royal - 9th May  (Read 7644 times)
TheatreRoyal
n3wb

« on: April 13, 2010, 12:10:42 PM »

Ashley Hutchings, legendary Guv’nor of English folk music and founder member of Fairport Convention, leads a stellar line-up to celebrate the music, words, dance and song of Flora Thompson’s Larkrise To Candleford. Originally produced for the National Theatre’s 1981 adaptation of the novel, these stirring tunes from a lost age have regained prominence with the popularity of the BBC’s recent television series.

A musical adaptation by Ashley Hutchings'  Lark Rise Band
featuring Ashley Hutchings (Fairport Convention, The Albion Band(s) Rainbow Chasers), Simon Care (Tickled Pink, Albion Dance Band), Judy Dunlop, Ruth Angell (Rainbow Chasers), Mark Hutchinson (Tickled Pink, ex-Rainbow Chasers) and Guy Fletcher (Little Johnny England, Tickled Pink, etc...)

For Tickets;

http://secure.theatreroyal.org/PEO/site/whats_on/index.php?nav=details&sc=11454
parkwood
torn away from morris men

Loc: Glasgow, UK

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28:56 PM »

Just to add - this is Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds in sunny Suffolk.

colin h

Loc: 'aartfordsher

life's a long song

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »

Other dates for this year include :-

MAY  Sat. 29th
   Trinity Theatre, Tunbridge Wells 01892 678 678

JULY Fri. 2nd
   Wigan Parish Church  01942 824291

Culled from Ash's website.

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »

. . .which is unquestionably one of the most beautiful theatres in the land.
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:02 PM »

. . .which is unquestionably one of the most beautiful theatres in the land.

As some of you know, I went to school in BSE,and I recall that the Theatre Royal was re-opened as a theatre in (I think) the late 60's or early 70's, having served as a barrell store for the nearby Greene King brewery for several decades! It is indeed a gem. I recall seeing an excellent show there by the Barrow Poets (if anyone remembers them).

The reversion to its original use was largely as a result of local pressure and fund-raising activities, so it just goes to show what well-intentioned busybodies can achieve. More power to their elbow.

DC
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:45:43 PM »

Nice town as well, if a little "twee". If you are coming in the day-time, check out the peaceful and beautifully laid-out Abbey Gardens just across the road. The spring flower beds should just be in bloom. A lot of Green King pubs around the town centre. Not really my favourite brew, but one pub right in the centre (forgot the name of it now, might be the Nutcracker, or something to do with nuts) is one of the smallest pubs in the country.
The Lark Rise Band are well worth catching. It's pity their appearance at Cropredy couple of years go co-incited with a torrential downpour on the Saturday afternoon, which sent most of the crowd running for cover!  Aside from Ashley's genius, fiddle player Ruth Angel is so talented musically, and a very nice person to boot!
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »

Nice town as well, if a little "twee". If you are coming in the day-time, check out the peaceful and beautifully laid-out Abbey Gardens just across the road. The spring flower beds should just be in bloom. A lot of Green King pubs around the town centre. Not really my favourite brew, but one pub right in the centre (forgot the name of it now, might be the Nutcracker, or something to do with nuts) is one of the smallest pubs in the country.
The Lark Rise Band are well worth catching. It's pity their appearance at Cropredy couple of years go co-incited with a torrential downpour on the Saturday afternoon, which sent most of the crowd running for cover!  Aside from Ashley's genius, fiddle player Ruth Angel is so talented musically, and a very nice person to boot!

Twee?! How dare you!  Shocked

It was a proper working market town in my day, with a cattle market Wednesdays and Saturdays as well as the street market. The cattle market meant that the pubs were open all day (for the farmers, you know) - I was too young to take advantage in those days.

The pub is called The Nutshell - as in "in a nutshell" - geddit?  Cheesy It's near the old Corn Exchange. Standing room only, I believe.

DC
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »

Twee?! How dare you!  Shocked

It was a proper working market town in my day, with a cattle market Wednesdays and Saturdays as well as the street market. The cattle market meant that the pubs were open all day (for the farmers, you know) - I was too young to take advantage in those days.

The pub is called The Nutshell - as in "in a nutshell" - geddit?  Cheesy It's near the old Corn Exchange. Standing room only, I believe.

DC

Bury St Edmunds...a very civilised place, I always find.  Lots of Georgian grandeur and some very beautiful ancient buildings. The odd thing about it, is that everything to do with the place seems to be 'correct', very pleasant, and run in a smooth and efficient manor...... maybe that's just through a visitor's eyes Smiley

Am really looking forward to seeing the Larkrise performance again,  we have seen the show about five or six times in the past, but didn't get to see them last year at all.  The music is wonderful, and the whole thing is extremely entertaining......totally charming and becomes possitively addictive.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:45:41 PM »

everything to do with the place seems to be 'correct', very pleasant, and run in a smooth and efficient manor......

[/quote]

Including, of course, those of us on Talkawhile who originate from that neck of the woods.  Wink

steve
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »

everything to do with the place seems to be 'correct', very pleasant, and run in a smooth and efficient manor......

Including, of course, those of us on Talkawhile who originate from that neck of the woods.  Wink

steve
[/quote]

Tee hee! If you say so, then I'm sure that must be...correct  Smiley
parkwood

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

Hehe, I played a very impromptu 'gig' in The Nutshell after being torn away from morris men.

There's not room to swing a cat, and only just enough to squeeze an accordion. Seats 5 or so. Actually, the cat is stuffed and mounted on the wall, if I remember rightly....

Oh, BSE! Is the shop with the genuine dalek in still there, anyone?!!

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »

Hehe, I played a very impromptu 'gig' in The Nutshell after being torn away from morris men.

There's not room to swing a cat, and only just enough to squeeze an accordion. Seats 5 or so. Actually, the cat is stuffed and mounted on the wall, if I remember rightly....

From Wikipedia, so make of it what you will....

The Nutshell is a pub in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, thought to be the smallest pub in Britain, although this claim is challenged by several others, including the Smiths Arms at Godmanstone and the Lakeside Inn in Southport. Whatever the truth of its claim, the pub is certainly diminutive, there being very little room for more than ten or fifteen customers to drink at any one time. The pub measures 15 ft by 7 ft. In 1984, a record number of 102 people squeezed into the pub.

Inside the pub is suspended the dried body of a black cat, discovered during building work. Builders used to brick cats up behind chimney hearths, where they died of starvation and heat.

Slight topic drift, perhaps......

steve
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:30 PM »

Do you mean the one on the corner, opposite the entrance to the Abbey Gardens? IIRC, last time I was there it had been turned into a cafe, but I can't really remember.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
parkwood

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:37:52 PM »

Ah yes, that's the one, Ollie. Wonder where the dalek went? BSE, beware!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: