TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:34:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Spring Tour 2010  (Read 60697 times)
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »

We thoroughly enjoyed last night's show at the 100 Club. Sitting just a few feet away from Ric and Simon gave a real chance to see them at work. It appeared to me that Simon was putting his heart and soul into some of the numbers, particularly Red & Gold and WKWTTG (dedicated to his children amongst others). Simon and Peggy had sensibly opted for shorts to combat the warmth of the venue. If you are seeing them at one of the remaining shows on the tour you have something to look forward to. The wine just keeps on maturing.

There is a review of the show here: http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1542%3Afairpor

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2010, 02:57:03 PM »

What a great review, cheers for posting the link Tim.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »

Great to see a review by someone who has obviously done a bit of homework.
I'd love to know Simon's reaction to "presided over by an avuncular man with more than a passing resemblance to Kenny Rogers."!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »

I'd love to know Simon's reaction to "presided over by an avuncular man with more than a passing resemblance to Kenny Rogers."!
have you seen kenny Rogers lately Shocked Shocked, if i was Simon Nicol you would be quickly on the receiving end of a stern "desist immediately" injunction type thing
they both have beards and thats about the height of it, although Simon should know better than to be sprouting facial hair at his time of life Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2010, 06:53:38 AM »

In its day it was an honour of sorts...

http://www.menwholooklikekennyrogers.com/gallerycelebs.html

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »

I got a 'Hi Kenny, sing us a song' in a pub garden last night  Smiley Personally, I think that I am more of a 'Rolf Harris' than a 'Kenny' - though I was described as looking like Michael McDonald a few weeks ago too.

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2010, 09:28:30 AM »

Very funny...so that'll be pretty much anyone with a beard, then ?
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »

It's all tosh though, isn't it? Clearly, it's Kenny Rogers who looks like Simon.

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2010, 09:45:38 AM »

It's all tosh though, isn't it? Clearly, it's Kenny Rogers who looks like Simon.

Actually, writing that reminds me that my wife always says of any man with a beard "Hey look, it's Simon Nicol," or some such form of words. The most memorable occasion on which this happened was in a pizzeria in Southport before a show. "That bloke over there looks like Simon Nicol," she said. He did, and what's more, he was.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »

At least he's happy - probably at being compared to someone 12 years his junior.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:55 AM »

At least he's happy - probably at being compared to someone 12 years his junior.

jaze, thats feckin horrible

The Dude abides
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2010, 10:59:26 AM »

jaze, thats feckin horrible

thats a fact!
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »

What a great review, cheers for posting the link Tim.

Indee, very good!

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »

This was posted on a Bob Dylan messageboard/site...................not  by me although i did start the thread.

Re: Fairport Convention
« Reply #27 on May 22, 2010, 3:30pm »   

Has the board died? Hope someone is still reading it. Here's a review of Fairport's show at Nettlebed Folk Club last Monday night. I was lucky enough to get a return ticket for this sell-out gig the previous week. The review was originally written for another board, with younger people who were mostly not familiar with Fairport, especially the modern incarnation of the band, so apologies for saying some stuff that you all know.

I hadn't seen Britain's most famous folk rock group since 2002, when I was at their 35th anniversary show at the Cropredy Festival. Amazingly, the lineup of this most changeable of groups had not changed in the interim -- it has been stable since the departure of Martin Aalcock and the replacement of long-serving drummer David Mattack with Gerry Conway (ex-Fotheringay, etc) in 1998. Although Chris Leslie has changed so much I wasn't sure it was him until he started singing -- he has turned gray and lost a lot of hair since I last saw him. Peggy has grown a splendid beard. Even Simon no longer looks quite so cherub-like.

When the band reformed in 1985 after a six year hiatus (apart from their annual Cropredy festivals of course) with Simon Nicol the only original member (though Dave Pegg on bass has been with the band since 1970), it relied mostly on traditional songs and tunes, and songs written from outside the band. Though when you had the likes of Ralph McTell contributing some of his finest songs ("Hiring Fair", "Red and Gold") and the worthy Steve Tilston regularly contributing fine material, this didn't matter too much.

The most significant development in the modern Fairport was the addition of Chris Leslie in 1997. By the time of 1999's excellent Wood and the Wire Leslie was writing songs regularly for the band, so that for the first time since the band's glory days when Richard Thompson, Sandy Denny, and Dave Swarbrick were writing for the group, original songs were coming from inside the band. Leslie's songs are not as brilliant as those of the aforementioned past alumni, but they are very good, and are getting better with each album.

These days Fairport are a semi-acoustic band, with only Conway's drums and Peggy's electric bass maintaining the "rock" part of the "folk-rock" (although Ric Sander's plugs in his violin occasionally).

The show kicked off with the hilarious "Widow of Westmoreland's Daughter", a live staple. It should come later in the show really, when the audience (and band) are a little more oiled up.

The band then appropriately (it was the warmest evening of the year) played Chris Leslie's Spring Song from the band's most recent album, Sense of Occasion, which led into the old Morris favourite, The Princess Royal.

Then the first highlight of the evening -- a gorgeous version of the Richard Thompson-penned classic "Crazy Man Michael." It is strange that Simon has probably sung this song more often than its author, although it is an allegorical take on Thompson's feelings of guilt over the death of his first girlfriend in a post-gig road crash that also took the life of the band's original drummer, Martin Lamble. But Simon's transformation into a vocal powerhouse is one of the best things about the modern band.

Next Chris Leslie took over the vocals for his own "I'm Already There." Though this is one of his best songs, the contrast with the preceding song was notable. The power of Thompson's songs is that they draw on traditional imagery, to the extent that many of them have been taken for traditional songs. Leslie's are thoughtful and well-researched, but missing that X ingredient that marks out the best modern folk songs. "I'm Already There" is a kind of update to famous ballad of Sir John Franklin's Arctic expedition of 1855. The first verse quotes "Lady Franklin's Lament," which has one of the loveliest melodies in the folk repertoire. The song passes between John Back, a member of Franklin's first expedition, and his brother Henry, vicar of Banbury (spiritual home of the band). The original version can be heard on Fairport's very fine 2004 album Over the Next Hill.

One of the highlights of the first half was when the band all stood up for the only time in the concert and all performed ukuleles of various sizes (except Conway, who left his drum kit behind and donned a washboard, which he wore like an apron) on a witty song called Ukulele Central, written by Leslie but not yet recorded on a studio album. The song is the story of the ukulele's contribution to music. I downloaded the lyrics from the Fairport website. I don't think I've ever heard a song that name-drops to quite this extent. E.g.

The voice of Jiminy Cricket
Was a ukulele player so fine
Konter flew one to the North Pole
Lyle Ritz played jazz for a time
George Formby a Wigan Hero
Tiny Tim was singing so high
Now The Ukulele “O” of GB spreads its fame far and
wide

George and Paul and Joe Brown
Viv Stanshall, Lucile Ball
Blue Hawain Elvis
Roy Smeck and Wendell Hall
Lesley Sarony
And Arthur Godfrey could be seen
Not forgetting the Ukulele Lady Queen - May Singhi
Breen

Anyway, this brought the house down, especially since the band had us all joining in on the chorus. There is a version on youtube from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/v/E9H9M96SPHk&hl=en_GB&fs=1&

Except last night Simon played a bass ukulele instead of whatever sort he's playing in that clip.

The title track of the aforementioned "Wood and the Wire" sent us into the interval break.

In the second half highlights were "Frozen Man" (a James Taylor song about a cyrogenically preserved man that should be better known), "Red and Gold" (Ralph McTell's story of the Battle of Cropredy in the Civil War, which was a tour de force for Simon on vocals and Gerry Conway's martial drumming), and "Keep on Turning the Wheel", from the band's most recent (2007) album Sense of Occasion. Another fine Chris Leslie number, this ode to a "1966 split screen VW camper van" is perhaps his finest song to date. The reminiscences of the Beatles in the lyrics and arrangement are deliberate. And somehow, the much-loved old camper van seems to be a metaphor for Fairport Convention itself. Yes, it's seen better days, but with a lick of fresh paint it looks as good as new, and still goes far:

Now that you're painted green
Log book and history, magical mystery
Oh what a vintage dream!
And your journey has only just begun...
We'll keep on turning the wheel

As such, the song was the perfect intro to the emotional highlight of the evening as the band dipped into their own "log book and history" for "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" Sandy Denny's signature song and masterpiece (first recorded by Sandy with The Strawbs in 1967 and later on Fairport's third album Unhalfbricking; in the States, it is probably best known from Judy Collins's inferior 1968 cover). Simon has almost made this his own song in recent years, and really put some passion into the lyrics. Ric Sanders nearly fell off his chair with his violin during this number, he got so carried away. It is hard to believe that Sandy was about 20 when she wrote this song.

Last song before the encore was Leslie's "John Gaudie," which the band have played every time I have seen them, much to my annoyance (the song is pitched too high for Chris's already highish vocals), although it leads into the exciting fiddle tune "The Bowman's Retreat." The encore was the Richard Thompson-penned Meet on the Ledge, which surprised me, as the band didn't used to perform it outside of the Cropredy Festival. It's the anthem of the Cropredy experience -- when audience and band become as one, and vow to continue to renew their acquaintance: but with a tinge of sadness, knowing that not everyone will make it next time, and in any case, it can't go on forever. It was the perfect way to end a very enjoyable and highly entertaining evening.

Next week I'm seeing Jon Boden, of Bellowhead fame, with his new band, the Remnant Kings.

Full setlist (some of the songs are probably in the wrong order):

1.Widow of Westmoreland's Daughter
2.Spring Song/Princess Royale
3.Crazy Man Michael
4.I'm Already There
5.I Wandered by A Brookside
6.Peggy's Pub
7.Rocky Road
8.Ukulele Central
9.Just Dandy
10. My Love Is in America
11.Wood and the Wire

12. ? [can't remember anything about this apart from Chris Leslie's terrible joke that introduced it and that it was something to do with an American cop who always gets his man]
12. Frozen Man
13. Banks of the Sweet Primeroses
14. Red and Gold
15. Keep on Turning the Wheel
16. Who Knows Where the Time GOes
17. John Gaudie/Bowman's Retreat
18. Meet on the Ledge
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2010, 08:09:13 AM »

GRrrr. No Winchester tonight for us   Angry

Step-daughter had ordered tickets as a present for us. The 60 seat venue doesn't send tickets by post and, when she went to collect them, found they had been sold to someone else.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »

GRrrr. No Winchester tonight for us   Angry

Step-daughter had ordered tickets as a present for us. The 60 seat venue doesn't send tickets by post and, when she went to collect them, found they had been sold to someone else.

Oh dear...that's not good.  60 seats though?  20 quid a pop?  How the hell do they make that pay, then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »

They've got a 120 seater as well underneath the pub for pop/rock which is on most nights, I think. Never been there (and not likely to now!!)
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »

Excellent show last night in Canterbury, at the study centre in the Cathedral precincts.  Fairport were on fine form, and with the intermittent accompaniment of the Cathedral bells, a jolly time was had by all.  Several children were present, which was very good to see, and there was a special treat for a little 5 year old, as Fairport played, and we all (well most of us) sang him "Happy Birthday"  Smiley

Good to see Angela and the boys, and have a natter Smiley

If anyone is interested, we took a few phone videos (sound quality ok, but visuals not too hot!)  Link to the youtube page is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHUQLi7bWmI
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 11:17:24 PM by Mag T » Logged
Harriet

Loc: Medway

« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »

So you were up on the balcony.  I did debate this but thought I'd be better downstairs, took some pix from there (not downloaded as yet)  Superb show and as the chaps said the acoustics there are very good.  Nice and fairly small.  Looking forward now to seeing Steve Knightley in June.
Debs

Loc: Canterbury

« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »

HI Mag - great video clips, do you mind if I put a link to them in my next newsletter?   It was a real treat to host Fairport, thanks to them and to everyone for coming along.  Hope they'll agree to come back again.  I was so touched by Ric and Peggy offering to help by putting my flyers out on the seats beforehand, true gentlemen.  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: