TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruce Rowland?  (Read 28001 times)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »

Hey Thor, I was there at Victoria Palace that day as well!

Must say I concur with your evaluation - it was a distinctly dicey gig. There were about 3 Fairporters in our mob and we did try to like it but afterwards we agreed "They have taken a wrong turn here". I seem to remember Swarb saying the same years later.

Somewhere I have a flyer for the gig - anybody else got one they can scan?

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
markwood

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 05:34:06 PM »

I guess everyone remembers but Dan Ar Braz played a set at Cropredy on the Saturday in 1991. For some reason, I got the impression where I was standing that the set wasn't very well received at all (I guess it was a bit "new age" in the 1980s sense) and the audience were almost hostile - very odd for Cropredy and any member of the extended Fairport family. Certainly there seemed to be more noise from the crowd than the stage. I remember feeling very sorry for him at the time but perhaps I misinterpreted it.

"Rain" on the other hand was a spectacular success!
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »

Actually, now that you mention it, I remember a similar hostile reaction towards Dan in '91 or whenever it was. Also when he appeared at Cropredy 1997 doing Rain at least from where I stood (despite it indeed being a success). The guy is French, that was his main fault - according to the narrowminded emptyheaded nationalists among the Cropredy audience who were very vocal. Maybe (and presumably) there were very few of them, but they sure were vocal, heckling in an Inspector Clouseau accent (which is funny, but not in those circumstances). There's bastards in every crowd.  
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 10:28:10 AM »

the narrowminded emptyheaded nationalists among the Cropredy audience who were very vocal.

Am I reading this wrong, or is there a strong proportion of right-wing supporters at Cropredy?  Or do you just mean the sort of person who's had a few too many ales making un-PC gags?  Either way, I must be really lucky as I've thankfully never noticed anything of that sort when I've gone.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 12:40:28 PM »

the narrowminded emptyheaded nationalists among the Cropredy audience who were very vocal.

Am I reading this wrong, or is there a strong proportion of right-wing supporters at Cropredy?  Or do you just mean the sort of person who's had a few too many ales making un-PC gags?  Either way, I must be really lucky as I've thankfully never noticed anything of that sort when I've gone.

ive got to say that ive never ever noticed any nationalism, empty headed or otherwise, at cropredy and,  since i wasnt there in '91, only heard wild applause when Msr ar Braz took to the stage in 97

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »

Am I reading this wrong, or is there a strong proportion of right-wing supporters at Cropredy?

I've never heard politics as such mentioned at the Cropredy bar or on stage I or II, so no probs there, I think.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »

The incident was probably just a function of the amount of alcohol consumed.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 12:54:56 PM »

alcohol? I'm shocked and appalled!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »

alcohol? I'm shocked and appalled!

Come along now Andy, don't act all naive and innocent!  Grin Grin Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 01:35:11 PM »

Heh, that's what I thought.  All seems very friendly and inclusive.  
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »

Ron Hill is still gigging in Birmingham & has turned out for Peggy's Birthday bashes at the Town Hall.

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 02:16:22 PM »

Ron Hill is still gigging in Birmingham & has turned out for Peggy's Birthday bashes at the Town Hall.

Is that in between marathons Chris??
giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »

[/quote]

Am I reading this wrong, or is there a strong proportion of right-wing supporters at Cropredy?
[/quote]

The delight at much of Digance's set might suggest so.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »

Tell me am I correct in thinking that bruce rowland played on the jesus christ superstar sound track?

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »

Well, I definetely remember anti-French heckling against Dan Ar Braz from where I was standing. But, you know, I hope I just happened to hear 5 drunken loudmouths among the 20.000 who were there. That's probably exactly what happened: it's always the one heckler you remember at a gig but they're isolated incidents. I was at a theatre performance by Dutch chanteuse, Wende Snijders, in Amsterdam just before last Christmas. She came on, after initial applause silence came over the audience, exactly as intended. Then, just as she wanted to open her mouth, some bastard 4 rows behind me bellowed "show us your tits". No funny jokes now; that was such an embarrassing moment and I felt so bad for her. Thankfully the idiot remained quiet after that. But it IS what sticks in the mind. Just like hostility towards Dan Ar Braz stuck into mine.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »

Is that in between marathons Chris??

That'll teach me to keep my mind on what I'm typing!!! Roger, apologies....

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 02:32:05 PM »

As he is a proud Breton I think anti French sentiment would be wasted on DaB
markwood

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »

Well, I definetely remember anti-French heckling against Dan Ar Braz from where I was standing. But, you know, I hope I just happened to hear 5 drunken loudmouths among the 20.000 who were there. That's probably exactly what happened: it's always the one heckler you remember at a gig but they're isolated incidents. I was at a theatre performance by Dutch chanteuse, Wende Snijders, in Amsterdam just before last Christmas. She came on, after initial applause silence came over the audience, exactly as intended. Then, just as she wanted to open her mouth, some bastard 4 rows behind me bellowed "show us your tits". No funny jokes now; that was such an embarrassing moment and I felt so bad for her. Thankfully the idiot remained quiet after that. But it IS what sticks in the mind. Just like hostility towards Dan Ar Braz stuck into mine.

I guess what made the apparent hostility stick in my mind was the fact that I'd gone along with a friend who'd never been to Cropredy before and he said something along the lines of, "the audience really don't like this, do they?" and it just got worse and worse. It's the only time I've noticed anything like this before or since, so it's just a one-off mystery! I guess the fact that Ron Kavana had just left the stage after a rousing set didn't prepare people for something much more laid back (and I might add, just as good in it's own way). It still wasn't anything like the hostility that I saw a Sheffield City Hall audience show towards a French band called (I think) "Telephone", supporting Steve Hillage circa '78/79. Mind you, they really were dreadful and the sentiment wasn't anything anti-French...!!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »

Tell me am I correct in thinking that bruce rowland played on the jesus christ superstar sound track?

Not the soundtrack, but the original cast album. The one with Ian Gillan as Jesus.

Paul

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 02:59:43 PM »

The one with Ian Gillan as Jesus.

Now that's funny.   Cheesy

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up