TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:13:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bruce Rowland?  (Read 27998 times)
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« on: June 30, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered before (though I did a quick search and there doesn't seem to be any recent posts about it), but can anyone tell me what Bruce Rowland's post-Fairport career has been?  I understand he held the drum chair after the initial splt, but before DM came back for the 80s albums.  But what about after that?  He was the only member of Fairport (at least, on record*) that didn't show at the 40th bash a couple of years ago and I was wondering why that may be?

*On a similar note, is there any information on the post-Fairport careers of Roger Hill, Tom Farnell, David Rea and Dan Ar Bras?  Have any of them re-appeared at Cropredy or any other Fairport-related gigs/ recordings that aren't on the Unconventional box?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:40:36 PM »

My understanding was that BR retired from music some years ago, lives in mainland Europe and had arthritis problems which prevent drumming. The last time he was at Cropredy (can't remember the year but not that long ago) he banged a tambourine in a massed guest spot on stage.

Dan ar Bras was playing and singing an FC classic en Francais at Peggy's Birthday Bash 2 years ago and is still making music as far as I know.

Over to someone else for the others!

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:42:56 PM »

Tom farnell plays semi pro and teaches drums in Birmingham
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »

After contributing to "The Manor Sessions" & then leaving Fairport, David Rea made an LP called "Slewfoot" with Keith & Donna & Bob Weir, of the Dead + various members of New Riders & Kingfish, that included a version of "Rosie". I'd not heard of him since until I came across this:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Ze0xrlWbLhAJ:www.answers.com/topic/david-rea+david+rea+slewfoot&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:13:48 PM »

Bruce played in Fairport til (I think) late '84 - the spring tour of '85 being (again, I think) Simon, Peggy, DM and Swarb prior to the new line up when Swarb left later in the year.  DM had already sat in for US dates the previous year (and maybe once earlier in the decade).  He played tambourine at various Cropredy's, but not for aeons, and I haven't seen him on drums with the band since '83, I don't think.  Although maybe he did play a few songs in the late 80's?

A stupendous drummer and much missed (being my first lineup, the Bruce/Swarb/Pegg/Nicol foursome is one of my faves).  I asked a similar question a year or two back and Simon posted a reply about him being very happy but not even having a drum kit.

I love the Manor Sessions recordings with Rea!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »

After contributing to "The Manor Sessions" & then leaving Fairport, David Rea made an LP called "Slewfoot" with Keith & Donna & Bob Weir, of the Dead + various members of New Riders & Kingfish, that included a version of "Rosie". I'd not heard of him since until I came across this:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:Ze0xrlWbLhAJ:www.answers.com/topic/david-rea+david+rea+slewfoot&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Is that really right?  Shocked  Do Keith, Donna or even Bob play on Rosie?  I've never heard that (or heard of it!)....and (being a Deadhead and Fairport fan) I really must!!  Smiley

Just looked this up. http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Slewfoot.htm  I need to hear this urgently.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »

Apologies if this has been covered before (though I did a quick search and there doesn't seem to be any recent posts about it), but can anyone tell me what Bruce Rowland's post-Fairport career has been?  I understand he held the drum chair after the initial splt, but before DM came back for the 80s albums.  But what about after that?  He was the only member of Fairport (at least, on record*) that didn't show at the 40th bash a couple of years ago and I was wondering why that may be?

*On a similar note, is there any information on the post-Fairport careers of Roger Hill, Tom Farnell, David Rea and Dan Ar Bras?  Have any of them re-appeared at Cropredy or any other Fairport-related gigs/ recordings that aren't on the Unconventional box?

Bruce appears on the '92 and '97 Cropredy CDs, doesn't he?

Dan is on the '97 box.

Not sure about the other Croppers sets and the other ex-members you listed.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:11:55 PM »

Is Roger Hill the guitarist on the youtube footage of the Babbacombe Lee track?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »

Dan has a number of albums available via Keltia Musique - as well as the "Heritage des Celtes" CDs & DVDs - well worth investigating.  And he represented France in the Eurovision Song Contest a good few years ago - with (I think) Elaine Morgan and/or Karem Matheson on vocals. Something which to my knowledge, Bruce hasn't yet done - although I'm sure I saw Simon Nicol backing a UK artist in a Eurovision "heat" many moons ago...

I used to have a Cathy LeSurf cassette recorded in Denmark in the early/mid 80s with Bruce's assistance & involvement - wish I still had it.

Flobbadob!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »

And he represented France in the Eurovision Song Contest a good few years ago - with (I think) Elaine Morgan on vocals.

Oui.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:27:54 PM »

Is Roger Hill the guitarist on the youtube footage of the Babbacombe Lee track?

Yes he is, Bridge.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Is that really right?  Shocked  Do Keith, Donna or even Bob play on Rosie?  I've never heard that (or heard of it!)....and (being a Deadhead and Fairport fan) I really must!!  Smiley

Just looked this up. http://www.deaddisc.com/disc/Slewfoot.htm  I need to hear this urgently.

Freshly disinterred from the cellars of Quodlibet Towers, I can offer the following: the sleeve notes are not exhaustive & it doesn't have a 'who does what on which track' list, but the album is produced by DR & Bob Weir & vocal arrangements are by Weir-Godchaux so chances are Keith, Donna & Bobby are involved on Rosie. I cannot confirm as me & the record deck are currently estranged.  Cry

Also just noted it has the late lamented Airplane alumnus, Spencer Dryden, on drums, percussion, technical assistance & advice.

If memory serves, having not heard it for 30 years or so & even as a rabid FC/GD fan, the project looks better on paper than it sounds to the ear, but what do I know? Others may love it.  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »

Thanks for that!  I'd taken it as read that it would be fairly awful, but even so I still want to hear it badly.  Oh the trials of the middle-aged music obsessive......  Roll Eyes Smiley

ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 04:24:37 PM »

I've just found some Dan Ar Bras's solo albums (Allez dire à la ville (1978) and The Earth's Lament (1979)) on Spotify so I'm giving them a spin.  

Hard to see how he'd fit into Fairport at any point, though he seems to be quite a good vocalist and guitar player- can someone remind me where he fitted into the chronology?  I'm guessing it was after Trev, Jerry & Sandy left, but I can't remember if it was pre or post Gottle O'Geer.  

And yes Davimjs, the Manor Sessions with David Rea are pretty good!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »

Dan ar Braz's "Rain" from (I think) '92 at Cropredy is still one of my fave Fairport moments. Quite sublime...

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »

Dan ar Braz's "Rain" from (I think) '92 at Cropredy is still one of my fave Fairport moments. Quite sublime...

97 was the year he did rain, the rest you  are spot on about
judging from the fact he was on the Gottle cover then i'll guess it was before and possibly shortly afterwards, but i think we can quite correctly use the term "short lived" about that line-up

The Dude abides
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »

judging from the fact he was on the Gottle cover then i'll guess it was before and possibly shortly afterwards, but i think we can quite correctly use the term "short lived" about that line-up

I don't think Dan played on Gottle O'Gear, but that line-up with DAB, Bob Brady & Roger Burridge were great live, at least on the single occasion I saw them in Harlow Town Park  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 05:47:04 PM »

I don't think Dan played on Gottle O'Gear

No, but quite a lot of people did  Shocked

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fcfansite/album-gottle.htm

PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 07:49:30 AM »

Dan Ar Bras - still active and well worth to listen to.
The live DVD "Celts" at the Zenith/Paris is just great stuff
and IMHO among his best albums are 'Greenland' and 'Reve de Siam'.
I'd love to have him with a proper set at cropredy.

Thor-Rune

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:37 AM »

I don't think Dan played on Gottle O'Gear, but that line-up with DAB, Bob Brady & Roger Burridge were great live, at least on the single occasion I saw them in Harlow Town Park  Smiley

Lucky you then. Cos I saw them on what was regarded as a high profile gig on that tour at Victoria Palace in London on June 6 1976. What I witnessed was an uninspired FC trying their best but just not working very well until the usual jigs and reels came flying out at the end. Which was fun. But the earlier part of the show featured stumbling blocks like Dan doing an uninspired "The town I loved so well", Bob Brady leading them through a rather pointless boogie-like instrumental (the title of which eludes me at the moment) and there was (wait for it...) a tango, would you believe! Jokingly referred to as "The last tango in Bradford". I can't recall any of them doing much for me that night.

I had expectations to hearing Dan on Sloth, but can't recall that being much of a winner on the night, either.

But of course it was fun at the end when the instrumental fun started and Swarb proved once again what a fiddler he is. But the rest of the gig left me with a worried feeling, in spite of the fact that I was happy they hadn't broken up as had been reported about half a year earlier when Jerry, Sandy and Trev all left.

Later that summer the line-up played a festival on the west coast in Norway (in Ålesund) which was recorded for national TV in this country. The TV show featured the chaps performing "The hen's march" medley and the final half of "Sloth". Nothing sensational about the performances, but it was nice to have them on the telly in our country.

Shortly after all the newbies were gone and the remaining three were joined by Simon Nicol. The BBoR/TT line-up that flew the flag for the rest of the seventies was born.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: