TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ the Barbican, 18th July  (Read 232300 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« on: February 07, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »

This has just been posted on the FC list, from Swarb's site:

"To celebrate the 40th anniversary of three Fairport Convention albums there will be a big Fairport Concert at the
Barbican in London on Saturday 18th July. Swarb will be taking part, alongside other Fairport alumni and there will be a
few surprises on the night. Watch this space for further details."

Looks fantastic. Hopefully, after not going on the Wintour, I can persuade my parents to take me.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:28 PM »

Wow! I'd really like to go to this one...

That's not dirt, it's patination!
silver65

Loc: Republic of Romford

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:18:21 PM »

Saw R.T recently at the concrete jungle,looks like I may be going back there in July now.Thanks for the update BB

I live with fear everyday, but sometimes she lets me go down the pub
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »

I'll be there if the dollar continues to hold its own against the pound.  Grin
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »

Saw R.T recently at the concrete jungle,looks like I may be going back there in July now.Thanks for the update BB

Probably the same RT concert I went to, (last Tuesday?)- know what you mean, nice concert hall, but I got fed up of signs to the place which seemed to "run out" before you got anywhere near there, difficult to fine toilets, expensive and inaccessible bars, corridors and walkways which seemed to go nowhere, floors- and lifts to them-which gave confusing signs about what actually went on in them. Even the more "normal" pubs nearby all seemed to close early for no good reason and sold expensive crappy beer!
frogcrutches
Pond Life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Pontypridd, South Wales.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »

difficult to fine toilets

I suppose you're right. Grin
Never thought of it before. Grin

Methinks thou art laden with stools.
silver65

Loc: Republic of Romford

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 11:24:30 PM »

We ate in Spitalfields before the show and the only reasonably priced pubs near to Barbican are wetherspoon pubs,Hamilton Hall in Liverpool street station or Cross keys further down Bishopsgate,both a ten or 15 minute walk to the venue.Tje show we went to was January 15th found the Barbican itself pricey and a strange walk from the Silk st entrance to the concert hall.

I live with fear everyday, but sometimes she lets me go down the pub
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 05:17:12 PM »

We ate in Spitalfields before the show and the only reasonably priced pubs near to Barbican are wetherspoon pubs,Hamilton Hall in Liverpool street station or Cross keys further down Bishopsgate,both a ten or 15 minute walk to the venue.Tje show we went to was January 15th found the Barbican itself pricey and a strange walk from the Silk st entrance to the concert hall.

Exactly, (about the strange walk)- there is a pub called the White Hart, (be careful as I think there are 2 pubs of the same name in the immediate area- don't know what the other one is like), which I found just around the corner from Liverpool Street station, which sold a variety of unusual real ales, all about £2.90 a pint which is almost the same price as my local pub in Nowich. Well kept beer it was too; just a shame about the very loud background music which nobody was listening to.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:38:16 AM »

Try the Sekforde Arms in Sekforde Street, Clerkenwell. Youngs/Wells. 10 mins or so from Barbican (or one stop on the tube from Faringdon)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »

Ok, what's the score on getting early news on ticket sales?  Any chance of a prompt from anyone in the know?

I've not been to a gig at the Barbican since the Pentangle reunion in '82, so have no idea how it all works there....  Am NOT going to miss this (he says crossing every digit).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 08:49:37 PM »

Join their mailing list - it 'usually' provides advance notice of the on sale date to the public - but if you really want the best seats, you'll have to join their membership scheme foradvance sales.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »

Join their mailing list - it 'usually' provides advance notice of the on sale date to the public - but if you really want the best seats, you'll have to join their membership scheme foradvance sales.

I just want a seat...!  Thanks...I'll join the mailing list.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »

Now, I appreciate that this show has not been officially confirmed yet but nonetheless, my mind has been wandering as to what we might expect. Assuming a reconvening of the L & L line-up from Cropredy '07, with added Peggy, my dream programme would be-
Set 1-Full House
Set 2-Liege and Lief
Encores-Sailor's Life/MOTL

Any advance on that?!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »

Now, I appreciate that this show has not been officially confirmed yet but nonetheless, my mind has been wandering as to what we might expect. Assuming a reconvening of the L & L line-up from Cropredy '07, with added Peggy, my dream programme would be-
Set 1-Full House
Set 2-Liege and Lief
Encores-Sailor's Life/MOTL

Any advance on that?!

As this is 2009 and the 40th Anniversary of WWDOOH / Unhalfbricking and L&L, and we know IM is playing, I'd expect more from the first two of this trilogy.  Surely Full House will be next year... Grin

Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »

As this is 2009 and the 40th Anniversary of WWDOOH / Unhalfbricking and L&L, and we know IM is playing, I'd expect more from the first two of this trilogy.  Surely Full House will be next year... Grin

Ahh..Good point. I wasn't aware that Iain was appearing. As this will clearly become an annual event, I'll look forward to getting my fill of Full House and Angel Delight next year then! Grin
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »

Ahh..Good point. I wasn't aware that Iain was appearing. As this will clearly become an annual event, I'll look forward to getting my fill of Full House and Angel Delight next year then! Grin

Tut tut, man...you'll have to wait for 2011 for Angel Delight and Babbacombe Lee.  Personally I'm already getting excited about 2016 and the 40th anniversary of Gottle O'Geer... Smiley

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »

Now we know this will be brilliant
we know there are issues to be dealt with regarding payments, rights etc
but can this opportunity please not be wasted, unlike cropredy 07, to get a proper dvd/live album out
an occasion like this will be recorded and leaked onto the web, so bang a few heads together and make sure this is preserved for posterity in professional quality.
theres going to be thousands of fairport fans who will be unable to attend,at least let us get a souvenier of what will be a great night

The Dude abides
Anotherfolky (Graham)

Ah well it was nice while it lasted...

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »

Try the Sekforde Arms in Sekforde Street, Clerkenwell. Youngs/Wells. 10 mins or so from Barbican (or one stop on the tube from Faringdon)

Likewise The Jerusalem Tavern isnt a bad place to stop off at before the Barbican not especially cheap but good brews and about five minutes from Barbican tube station (and is certainly open till a reasonable time too, and is normally fairly quiet after early evening city folk have gone home)
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »

Now we know this will be brilliant
we know there are issues to be dealt with regarding payments, rights etc
but can this opportunity please not be wasted, unlike cropredy 07, to get a proper dvd/live album out
an occasion like this will be recorded and leaked onto the web, so bang a few heads together and make sure this is preserved for posterity in professional quality.
theres going to be thousands of fairport fans who will be unable to attend,at least let us get a souvenier of what will be a great night

Yes! yes! yes!
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »

Grin saw rt at the barbican last month . it is a great venue with loads of roooommm  acoustics are pretty good too. I will be going and look forward to meeting other TAW members . I stayed at Barbican Hotel its not too far with a good breakfast.................................dizzydaveP Grin Fez....  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: