TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:49:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Dylan UK dates 2009  (Read 112327 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »

great song,Billy. thanks for that post

The Dude abides
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

It's the best of the four songs that emerged from the David Bromberg sessions of 1992.The others are Polly Vaughan,Miss the Mississippi and Sloppy Drunk.

A fifth,Duncan & Brady,turned up recently on Tell Tale Signs.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2009, 04:50:05 AM »

A fifth,Duncan & Brady,turned up recently on Tell Tale Signs.

Martin Simpson does a pretty decent job with that one on Prodigal Son.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2009, 01:51:37 PM »

I'll have a look for it.Dylan opened with a brilliant version of  it around 2000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U5zPna0GN0
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2009, 01:24:23 AM »

Bob Dylan Dharma & Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJg92CV3SF8&feature=related
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2009, 11:36:08 PM »

Video Premiere: Bob Dylan's "Must Be Santa"

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/player/30942364
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone - Philadelphia 11/9/09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kep-jG_8wWE
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2009, 01:01:50 AM »

Is there meant to be some kind of theme or homage going on here?  Why does a fight break out?  Why are the reindeer named after various US Presidents??

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »

best thing he's done in years, he really suits the syrup

The Dude abides
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »

best thing he's done in years, he really suits the syrup

Have to agree, it's bloomin wonderful Grin

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »

Bob Dylan-The Time They Are A-Changin' live at the White House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC4Ovz3733o
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »

The video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpXInu0d8w
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:46 AM »

What a tragic trainwreck of a performer Bob has become these days.  Quite awful.  Did someone mention the Who?   Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »

It's all very sad although that's quite good compared to some of the stuff i've heard in the last few years.I actually walked out during the 2009 Roundhouse show,though to be fair that was more to do with being surrounded by idiots.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »

Dylan at the Whitehouse

You can now watch the performance at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrpXInu0d8w

Thanks for letting me know Tom.

Ian Woodward sent a different video feed offering a tantalizingly alternative perspective. Ian says:

“This is an oddity. I'm not sure what to think. At first you think it might be from a mobile phone, as you get an angle not seen on the PBS version or the live White House version, but, later, as it cuts back and forth, you realise that it can't be, because it involves multiple angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc50j76XDTU

It is the end of the song and what you also get what's not in the PBS version but was in the White House streamed-live on-the-night version, that is a clear indication (to me, anyway) that Dylan expected to sing a second song (Blowin' In The Wind, I suspect).  Someone came up to him and said something. I guess something like, "Sorry, Bob, but we have to go straight to the finale". Just my view - no proof or confirmation.”

However, The Examiner states, “According to various spokespersons at WETA (a Washington entertainment channel), Bob Dylan was only scheduled to perform one song.  There was speculation that Dylan expected to sing another song, but, as one person said, "the show was scripted to a 'T' ".

Looking at Ian’s video, I’m tempted to go along with him.

And for some additional videos and further perspective on the event, have a look at

Bob Dylan's White House Performance: The Inside Story (Plus Video) - Speakeasy - WSJ

Here we are told, “Luckily for Bob Dylan fans, he was already in the capitol and was able to record “The Times They Are a-Changin’” — not that Ehrlich (the organizer) knew in advance what song the musician was going to play. “You can’t second guess Bob,” said Ehrlich, who added that Dylan had told him he wasn’t going to decide on his song choice until he got to DC. “We had heard it was between ‘Blowing in the Wind,’ ‘The Times They are a-Changin’ and possibly ‘Chimes of Freedom,’” he said. “But he literally didn’t tell me what he was going to sing until about 20 minutes before he went on stage. And even then he was reluctant.”

And, from the Press, regarding Bob’s performance:

From the Washington Post:

“Onstage, no one seemed rushed -- especially not Dylan. Giving his first performance at the White House, America's most iconic pop songwriter ambled onstage and dragged his wonderful, weather-beaten voice over a handsome piano and bass arrangement of "The Times They Are A-Changin'." After the song, there was an awkward pause, a handshake with the president and a hasty exit.”

From the Wall Street Journal:

“The highlight of the evening may have been the brief appearance by Dylan, who sang an arrangement of his song “The Times They Are A-Changin’” that featured piano, stand up bass, and acoustic guitar.”

There have been quite a few negative comments on the Expecting Rain bulletin board about this performance. I don’t know why, because I really enjoyed it. The feedback I’ve had directly has all been positive too. Take for example the following email from John Owens:

“Sounds a very good performance - quite affecting in a sad reflective sort of way. Surely this is how Bob needs to be performing in concert these days – guitar, bass, piano - so many of his songs will suit this treatment and given what's left of his voice - this could be the future. Would need smaller venues though - so don't know how the economics would work out. I hope Bob sees it this way but knowing Bob......”

But perhaps you feel different. Let us know.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2010, 09:13:32 AM »

Only a year out of date, this thread, but not sure it really warrants a new one...

Looks like Bob is playing some European festivals this year...only British appearance appears to be this year's Hop Fair Festival in Kent...on Friday 3rd July...details still to be confirmed.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »

Can't see that on their website, they give dates of 4th and 5th. Not on Bob's site either. Is it Hop Farm as in Paddock Wood?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2010, 09:35:01 AM »

Can't see that on their website, they give dates of 4th and 5th. Not on Bob's site either. Is it Hop Farm as in Paddock Wood?

That's because that's last year's dates on the website.  As i say, details still to be confirmed....watch that space, as they say. And yes, Paddock Wood.

jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2010, 05:47:48 PM »

That's because that's last year's dates on the website.  As i say, details still to be confirmed....watch that space, as they say. And yes, Paddock Wood.

I wasn't trying to be smart just wondering where you got your info. 3rd July ain't a friday this year either. It was last year.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »

Courtesy of John Baldwin.................

The European agents tell me that the tour is almost finalised but Bob’s people have still to sign the contracts for a number of essential phases of the tour, so nothing further can be announced as yet. I am privy to some of the info and, if it comes to pass, it’s rather exciting. I can confirm that there will be no UK shows but, and this is the only bit of info I’m allowed to pass on at present, Bob will be appearing at one UK festival. It’s the Hop Farm Festival in Kent, which takes place on July 3rd to 5th. Bob will be appearing on the 3rd. Tickets are not yet on sale. They will cost £125 for the weekend to include parking and camping; last year, day tickets were available at £65 and I should find out by the middle of next week whether they will be available this year. Tickets are restricted to 20,000 total. I will have access to tickets at cost but have yet to find out whether this is for day tickets only or just for the weekend. Let me know if you are interested.

Look at last year’s festival arrangements and get a feel of how things should be this year by visiting www.hopfarmfestival.com

John
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: