TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000 years of RT in the UK next year?  (Read 67228 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »

Was Richard on R4's arts review prog last night (after the Archers)? Someone at work said they caught a few seconds of a singer/guitarist covering a Britney Spears song... and I can't think of anyone else doing it.

Flobbadob!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »

Yes he was on Front Row last night doing So Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo, See My Friends and a bit of Britney.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/past_programmes.shtml

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

Thanks!

Flobbadob!
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »

The truth is there was a lot of good music in the 90's you just may not have liked it which is another subject all together.
I don't understand - why would I say it was good if I didn't like it ... ?  Wink

My comment was intended to be taken with a grain of salt ... there's been c**p music music I dislike, released in every decade of my existence ...  Grin

To get back on topic from the times I've seen the 1000 yrs show it at times looks like RT enjoys taking a back seat and letting Judith Owen take the limelight.
Yes, given his shyness, I can well believe that. It sometimes makes me wonder why he never made more of an effort to get someone else in the band to be the "front" person ...
It is also the format I have enjoyed most of his recent shows as the sense of unpredictability is well and truly in place.
Agreed, though, based on reports I've heard, some audience members have been disappointed at the lack of RT hits in the encores.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2009, 05:43:29 AM »

The truth is there was a lot of good music in the 90's you just may not have liked it which is another subject all together.
I don't understand - why would I say it was good if I didn't like it ... ?  Wink

My comment was intended to be taken with a grain of salt ... there's been c**p music music I dislike, released in every decade of my existence ...  Grin

My comment was also intended to be taken with a grain of salt although it may really have required a salt lick. Grin

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
ronnie

Loc: Crieff

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

We saw RT in Perth last night. The jokes were dreadful, the guitar playing delightful.

I thought the first half was brilliant and thought the second half marginally less interesting due to the familiarity of the material. The two ladies with him were excellent, especially Judith who sang many of the songs. She's a bit of a comedienne as well.

Highlights for me were Purcell's When I am Laid in Earth and the Abba song. A brilliant evening in store for you if you are catching this tour.

ronnie

now is the happiest time of your life!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

though, based on reports I've heard, some audience members have been disappointed at the lack of RT hits in the encores.

Yes, odd that.....it's clearly not billed as an RT gig.....what do they think the two girls would do if RT played 'his' hits. I certainly wasn't expecting any, and would have been extremely surprised if he had done - Meet on the Ledge (called fore at the Barbican) indeed....

The two ladies with him were excellent, especially Judith who sang many of the songs. She's a bit of a comedienne as well.

She's married to Harry Shearer (Spinal Tap, and the folk equivalent - what was it called?), so no real surprise....

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2009, 01:46:01 PM »

She's married to Harry Shearer (Spinal Tap, and the folk equivalent - what was it called?), so no real surprise....
[/quote]

A Mighty Wind.

He's also the voice of many non-familial Simpsons

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
ronnie

Loc: Crieff

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »

A Mighty Wind.

He did listen to one heckler and did an impromptu version of Bonny St Johnstone at the start of the encores due to the local reference.

Richard and Judith came out for a signing after the show and were happy to take time to talk to everyone. I'd bought a tshirt but got my ticket signed.

ronnie

now is the happiest time of your life!
Jack Westwood

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2009, 08:17:35 AM »

Yes, I would echo all of the praises above.  The Glasgow show was superb.  And, like you Ronnie, I thought Judith was excellent.

However, a word for Debra Dobkin too, I think.  What a fantastic, understated, appropriate kit she used - as well as being an excellent percussionist!

If it wasn't for Burns' Suppers, Celtic Connections, etc, I would have gone to Perth the following evening...

Jack

We had an argument the other night - all because she said I didn't open the car door for her.  She said I panicked and swam out my side first....
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2009, 02:46:06 PM »

I'm off to Milton Keynes to see RT Tonight Smiley

Imponderable Joy
Em
Equal Opportunity Employer

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »

Yes, I would echo all of the praises above.  The Glasgow show was superb.  And, like you Ronnie, I thought Judith was excellent.

However, a word for Debra Dobkin too, I think.  What a fantastic, understated, appropriate kit she used - as well as being an excellent percussionist!

If it wasn't for Burns' Suppers, Celtic Connections, etc, I would have gone to Perth the following evening...

Jack

Agreed, the glasgow show was great. I did think that for the most part, the audience was quite subdued though. Any other RT gig i've been to, the audience has been much more alert and there's been much more interaction between them and him.

Those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter.
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »

A Mighty Wind.

He's also the voice of many non-familial Simpsons
[/quote]

Really? anyway, she has considerable comedic talent.She really came into her own in the music-hall and Gilbert & Sullivan numbers.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to ressurect music-hall in recent years? It sounds like the kind of thing someone might try at the Edinburgh Festival. You'd have to be prodigiously talented to make it work - it'd have to be like Private Eye set to music, or the songs off That Was the Week That Was.  
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2009, 11:57:04 PM »

I was at Wimbledon the other night,has anybody got a complete setlist please ?
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »

I was at Wimbledon the other night,has anybody got a complete setlist please ?

Yes.
Chris B posted the set list earlier this month-

Hevene Queen
3 Ravens
So Ben
False Knight
Pipe Shepherds Pipe
When I am Laid in The Earth
Remember Thou O Man
Shenandoah
Blackleg Miner
Trafalgar Square
Sally Gardens
When a Man  Goes to Woe

Interval

Java jive
Night and Day/Something Wonderful
Wine Spo-Di-O-Di
All Right I'll Sign the Papers
See My Friends
Friday on My Mind
Money, Money, Money
everybody's Got to Learn sometime
Maneater

Encores

Ja Nuls Hom Pris
Cry Me a River
Beatle Medley

Imponderable Joy
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »

Thanks.That's a setlist but i'm looking for the Wimbledon set.I don't think he played exactly the same songs every night ? Lonesome Whistle (Hank Williams) for example was played at the one i went to.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:17 AM »

It was pretty much this set in Birmingham. And jolly good it was too.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »

It's on Dime.......................

27 January 2009

Set One
01 Edi Beo Thu Hevene Quene
02 The Cutty Wren
03 So Ben Mi Ca Bon Tempo
04 The False Knight On The Road
05 Pipe Shepherds Pipe
06 When I Am Laid In Earth
07 Remember O Thou Man
08 Shenandoah
09 Blackleg Miner
10 I Live in Trafalgar Square
11 Down By The Salley Gardens
12 A Man Who Would Woo A Fair Maid

Set Two
01 Java Jive
02 Night And Day
03 Drinking Wine Spo-Dee-O-Dee
04 Lonesome Whistle
05 See My Friends
06 Friday On My Mind
07 Money Money Money
08 Change Your Heart
09 Maneater
10 Richard The Lion Heart Song
11 Cry Me A River
12 Hold Me Tight - There's A Place - I Want To Hold Your Hand
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »

Brighton last night. Absolutley brilliant. Interseting that Judith reflected the change of the seasons, as it were, with nothing more than a change of neckware, (ruff, scarf, necklace all apropriate to the era). Although Mrs S did see a touch of Elsa Lanchester.
When he announced the last number of the second half, I thought, 'that can't be right, they've only been on ten minutes' but it was an hour.
And no Brittney, I'm very glad to say. That joke's long dead.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2009, 02:37:33 PM »

Brighton last night. Absolutley brilliant. Interseting that Judith reflected the change of the seasons, as it were, with nothing more than a change of neckware, (ruff, scarf, necklace all apropriate to the era). Although Mrs S did see a touch of Elsa Lanchester.
When he announced the last number of the second half, I thought, 'that can't be right, they've only been on ten minutes' but it was an hour.
And no Brittney, I'm very glad to say. That joke's long dead.

I agree completely. A great night with highlights being a breathtaking Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime and a couple of Judith's vocal numbers. I hope these shows are being recorded for one of RTs "official bootlegss" as the set is significantly different to previous shows and there are a couple of these performances that I would really love to have.

One down side. I am never driving to Brighton for a gig again. £10.40 for parking. Ouch!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: