TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000 years of RT in the UK next year?  (Read 67231 times)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2009, 06:16:17 PM »

£10.40 for parking. Ouch!

That is terrible  Shocked

Imponderable Joy
Rodger

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »

Brighton last night. Absolutley brilliant. Interseting that Judith reflected the change of the seasons, as it were, with nothing more than a change of neckware, (ruff, scarf, necklace all apropriate to the era). Although Mrs S did see a touch of Elsa Lanchester.
When he announced the last number of the second half, I thought, 'that can't be right, they've only been on ten minutes' but it was an hour.
And no Brittney, I'm very glad to say. That joke's long dead.

I agree completely. A great night with highlights being a breathtaking Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime and a couple of Judith's vocal numbers. I hope these shows are being recorded for one of RTs "official bootlegss" as the set is significantly different to previous shows and there are a couple of these performances that I would really love to have.

One down side. I am never driving to Brighton for a gig again. £10.40 for parking. Ouch!

Yep, I was there too, though I just had a £1.50 bus fare home to worry about.  Was left wondering who else could possibly pull off a set ranging from 12th-century troubadour material to 21st century club anthems.  At least I assume "man eater" was a club anthem, I doubt if anyone in the audience had seen the inside of a club since they were called "discotheques".

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »

I doubt if anyone in the audience had seen the inside of a club since they were called "discotheques".

Oi!  Angry

Oh, alright. It's a fair cop!  Grin Grin
Rodger

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:36 AM »

I hope these shows are being recorded for one of RTs "official bootlegss" as the set is significantly different to previous shows and there are a couple of these performances that I would really love to have.
Agree.  One that stood out for me was Dido's lament, aka When I Am Laid In Earth.  Also, RT singing Abba is something I neber thought I'd live to see.  I got the DVD/CD set of the recent San Francisco show, which is nice enough, but I'd rather have the current setlist.
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »

A superb show in Canterbury last night, much the same set list as stated previously.

I had no idea that Richard could play the hurdy gurdy so well   Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2009, 12:10:09 PM »

Great photo there, Angela - thanks for posting that.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »

I think you may have missed the point on this one, "Oops I did It Again" is a good song, especially when RT sings it. If he was going for joke songs surely he'd have chosen Lilly The Pink or the Ying Tong Song? I don't recall any other joke songs, just popular songs done in an RT kind of way, blinkin' brilliant in Bristol by the way.
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »

A trifle late..........but what an amazing show at Canterbury last Saturday.  Just discovered this clip, which put a large smile on my face.  (Apologies if this has already put in an appearance here)     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFx9LIkb3qg&feature=channel_page
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:11 AM »

This has just gone up on YouTube.. one of my favourites from the show, and a good bit of preamble which is rather nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DL8wc3WFcc

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »

I think you may have missed the point on this one, "Oops I did It Again" is a good song, especially when RT sings it. If he was going for joke songs surely he'd have chosen Lilly The Pink or the Ying Tong Song? I don't recall any other joke songs, just popular songs done in an RT kind of way, blinkin' brilliant in Bristol by the way.

Lily the Pink a joke song?
How very dare you.

Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2009, 01:43:36 PM »

The Dome was spot on - we even managed free parking just round the corner... (for future reference you get £7 parking up the road if you get your ticket stamped and don't stay all night) - and ABBA in its original venue WOW!
My only quibble was that whilst Judith has a fantastic voice, I wish she weren't quite so mannered with the early stuff, Dido's Lament is unbeatable done 'straight'.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2009, 02:03:52 PM »

The Dome was spot on - we even managed free parking just round the corner...

Where? Pray tell!

I drove round and round looking for a spot without success. I have parked in front of the Komedia before now and there was space there  but it all says "Loading Only" and I'm not sure whether you are really allowed to stop there in the evening. There were no cars there when I went by.

I knew about the ticket validation thing but I couldn't be bothered to queue (lesson learned!). I didn't realise how expensive the car park was as there are no charges posted anywhere, which is very naughty in my view.
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

Lily the Pink a joke song?
How very dare you.

Ah yes, good point, I humbly apologise!  Wink
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »

Last night at Salisbury City Hall we were treated to two hours of joyous fun interlaced with a pot pourri of excellent music.
Richard was sporting a huge smile on his face throughout the evening and was clearly having a lot of fun, therefore in turn so did his audience. The comic timing and musical interpretations by Judith Owen were a joy to behold, while Debra Dobkin's percussion and vocals was also mightily impressive.
Let's hope Richard brings this show back to our shores again very soon.

An added pleasure was meeting Malcolm and his companion before the show.

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2009, 12:02:15 PM »

Last night at Salisbury City Hall we were treated to two hours of joyous fun interlaced with a pot pourri of excellent music.
Richard was sporting a huge smile on his face throughout the evening and was clearly having a lot of fun, therefore in turn so did his audience. The comic timing and musical interpretations by Judith Owen were a joy to behold, while Debra Dobkin's percussion and vocals was also mightily impressive.
Let's hope Richard brings this show back to our shores again very soon.

An added pleasure was meeting Malcolm and his companion before the show.

Thanks, Martin, good to see you again.

Hearing RT singing in Latin, Early Italian and Early French, and also singing from Gilbert & Sullivan made an evening I don't think I shall ever forget. I can't think of anyone else who could so expertly cover the vocal styles and accompaniments required by the range of songs he sang.  Smiley
mattkeen

Loc: Northamptonshire

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »

A saw him in MK and it was great -really ambitious project that he pulled off with immense skill

Matt
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: