TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:53:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726389 times)
Johnny Mann

« Reply #1060 on: August 13, 2019, 04:11:52 PM »

A very warm welcome to you, new friend.  I understand from our Meeter and Greeter, the lovely Jude, that you are a person of good taste, impeccable manners and an interest in some or all things Talkawhilish.  Excellent news!  Hoorah, hoorah.

My name is Sir Robert Peel.  I am a Global Moderator of this fine debating chamber and talking shop.  I am also an elder statesman of some influence, commanding considerable respect in those who don’t know me very well.  

Put your favourite CD on the gramophone player, kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable.  
(Not that comfortable!  Shocked  Please cover yourself up by putting on the dressing gown and slippers provided.  Embarrassed)

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

4.   What kind of music do you like?

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

Thanks awfully.   Fez

Sir Robert Peel
220 years

1) Hi, my name is John. I hail from Birmingham originally but now live in Yorkshire, not far from Haworth.

2) hmmm, curiosity really. Plus it’s rather nice to virtually chat with like minded individuals.

3) I came to Fairport via Richard Thompson. In fairness I don’t own many Fairport records, Full House, Unhalfbricking, What We Did On Our Holidays, Liege and Lief.... plus a Fairport Acoustic one whose name escapes me, but there is a wonderful James Taylor song on it, and Maartin plays on it...

4) All sorts. I’m a child of the sixties but essentially grew up in the 70s, with glam, Bowie, Roxy Music, Slade, Sweet. Then punk and new wave. But I like different stuff, Reggae, country, blues, jazz and classical.

5) Cropredy 2019. It was bloody great  Grin. My tent stayed up and stayed dry too. Bonus.

6) Last CD is Office Politics, The Divine Comedy. I would recommend it. I would recommend anything by Neil Hannon as to me, he is a musical god. See him a few times, including Cropredy 2017. He had the misfortune to be following Trevor Horn’s set which was fantastic and went down a real storm. But he was still brilliant. Seeing him again soon in Leeds.

7) This is a tough one, I have many singers I love, but for the purposes of this....Tonight Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, David Bowie, and I am going to sing The Jean Genie.

Brian Green

« Reply #1061 on: August 14, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »

Hi Talkawhile, my name is Brian Green.
I am posting from a rather damp Chandlers Ford which lies midway between Southampton and Winchester.
I have been using the board as a guest for about 5 years and find it very interesting ,entertaining and informative so thought it time to become more involved.
My introduction to Fairport was through our local library in the early eighties.
You used to be able to borrow records for a small fee. Full House was my first choice and after hearing that I was hooked!
My first Cropredy festivals were 1987&1988 then had a long break until a mate decided we should go in 2010 we have been every year since.
My musical tastes are pretty varied Folk Prog Punk Reggae Jazz Pop Electronic Rock Metal and Classical to name a few.
Went to the lovely A New Day festival at Mount Ephraim Gardens near Faversham the week prior to Cropredy. It is put together by Dave Rees of the Jethro Tull fanzine.
It is much smaller than Cropredy but still gets great artists. Focus,Hawklords.Fish,Martin Barre,Glenn Hughes to name a few.
The last music I bought was a bunch of Cds and a couple of Lps from the Oxfam Charity stall at Cropredy. All in great condition and very sensibly priced ( unlike some of the stalls at the car boot sale!)
Also made the trip along the towpath to visit the record shop on the barge and brought The Old Swan Band No Reels Lp
Can't really sing that well but I one of my favourite songs is Bright Phoebus by Watersons /Martin Carthy so would attempt that!
Hope that lets you all know a bit about me and looking forward to getting more involved in the forum.
Brian.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1062 on: August 14, 2019, 01:33:31 PM »

Hello Brian

Welcome (or Croeso as we say in Wales!) to Talkawhile!  Smiley

It's ok you can stop trying to sing Bright Pheobus now  Shocked  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Brian Green

« Reply #1063 on: August 14, 2019, 01:45:34 PM »

Thank you Bridgwit
My neighbours will appreciate that Smiley
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1064 on: August 14, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »

Hello Brian and welcome  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Brian Green

« Reply #1065 on: August 14, 2019, 02:11:12 PM »

Thank you Jude.
Already feeling very welcome here.
It's great to be corresponding with faces and names I have seen so many times on the board as a guest.. Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1066 on: August 14, 2019, 02:12:01 PM »

Welcome Brian and Johnny

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Brian Green

« Reply #1067 on: August 14, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »

Thank you Will S
Looking forward to being able to correspond with all the board members.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1068 on: August 14, 2019, 02:54:46 PM »

Thank you Jude.
Already feeling very welcome here.
It's great to be corresponding with faces and names I have seen so many times on the board as a guest.. Smiley
None of us is real, we are computer algorithms..... *£4@@0*fplen&"ds and this

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Brian Green

« Reply #1069 on: August 14, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »

Ah, I understand,
A bit like the Matrix film where what you perceive to be real is virtual.
It's all making sense  Smiley
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1070 on: August 14, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »

Hello Brian  and John. Cool
Tom64

Loc: Munich

« Reply #1071 on: August 14, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »

Hi Brian and John....

I downloaded Office Politics from Itunes and I like it a lot.

I had never heard of Divine Comedy (being German and all that might be the reason for it) but I saw them (him?) at Cropredy two years ago and immediately loved them....
Brian Green

« Reply #1072 on: August 14, 2019, 06:03:29 PM »

Hello Alan2 and Tom52
Enjoying my first day as an active Talkawhile member and have been made to feel very welcome  Smiley
Johnny Mann

« Reply #1073 on: August 15, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »

Hi Brian and John....

I downloaded Office Politics from Itunes and I like it a lot.

I had never heard of Divine Comedy (being German and all that might be the reason for it) but I saw them (him?) at Cropredy two years ago and immediately loved them....

Vielen dank Tom. Yes, The Divine Comedy is basically him. I have loved his slightly wry take on the world for many many years, plus of course, he wrote the theme tune to Father Ted. Don’t know if you got that in Germany.
SteveT

« Reply #1074 on: August 20, 2019, 01:59:51 PM »

Good afternoon Talkawhile, here is my enrolment.  Smiley

1. My name is Steve and I'm a lifelong Essex boy - Southend-on-Sea to be precise.

2. I've have been a 'lurker' here for at least 10 years as it is a great source of information and fun. Decided it was about time I joined in.

3. Although I was aware of Fairport & the scene, I really jumped in properly in 2004 when I attended my first Cropredy Festival, ostensibly because Mostly Autumn were playing and it sounded like a fun festival Consequently, I have just attended my 11th Cropredy (I missed '08-'12 for reasons you don't need to know).

4. I really am in to pretty much every type of music going. As a youngster I was in to the chart stuff, and fell in love with ABBA when they came along (still do). Then at age 14 I discovered Prog/Rock/Metal and that changed everything really. Since then I have expanded out in every direction and my listening will be dictated by mood on any one day. Strangely in recent times I've listened to a lot more extreme metal & country.

5. It was Cropredy. However, I am going to the Proms tonight to see Sir Simon Rattle conducting Belshazzar's Feast, along with a couple of more esoteric pieces that I'm particularly looking forward to. Just worked out that I currently have 13 gigs / comedy shows lined up between now and Xmas.

6. I am actually struggling to remember this. I've seriously cut down on my purchases in recent times - and I don't do digital listening. But I have returned to vinyl. It was probably the most recent Gong album and I highly recommend it (to all pot-headed pixies).

7. "Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite (male) singer, Jon Anderson, and I will sing 'And You And I' (but you really wouldn't want to hear it  Lips Sealed)

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1075 on: August 20, 2019, 02:49:15 PM »

Hello Steve and welcome to here
Jude  Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
SteveT

« Reply #1076 on: August 20, 2019, 03:56:03 PM »

Thanks Jude, good to be here - finally!
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #1077 on: August 20, 2019, 04:42:27 PM »

Hi Steve good to have another Essex boy on the forum (I was born in Chelmsford now live near Maldon). Welcome!

Born to Run (but not very fast)
SteveT

« Reply #1078 on: August 21, 2019, 07:59:18 AM »

Thanks Chris. I've followed your Essex reports over the years  Smiley
I actually work in Chelmsford now, and previously I worked in Witham for many years.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1079 on: August 22, 2019, 03:03:45 PM »

Hi Steve. Cool
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: