TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:06:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726433 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #880 on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:41 AM »

Welcome, Jimmy.
Tim Jones
n3wb

« Reply #881 on: October 22, 2014, 02:06:24 PM »

Hello!

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I'm Tim Jones - born in Sheffield, grew up in South Wales and now living in N London

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

Looking for a good forum on folk music, want to find out about festivals to attend / play at, and maybe plug the odd new release on my label

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Probably the band that got me into folk music in the first place (parents' copy of Liege & Lief), don't really venture much beyond the 'classic years' but saw them live in London recently.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

I like playing traditional influenced stuff but listen to all sorts.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

The Foxglove Trio at Kiss the Sky in Crouch End - they were awesome!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

I don't really buy CDs, unless maybe at a gig and it's something unavailable otherwise. Last thing I bought on vinyl was In Port by Cyril Tawney (One of my favorite songwriters ever. Definitely recommend) Last thing I listened to on Spotify was The Stones by CJ Cowie (Title track off this is something pretty special, so yes). Last CD I bought was by my friend's band Vronsky ages ago (Worth tracking them down!).
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #882 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »

Hello Tim and welcome  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #883 on: October 22, 2014, 02:43:59 PM »

Hi Tim

Welcome to TaW. There are quite a few promoters on here, so if we could have a link to your music/facebook page we can have a listen and you may get some bookings.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Tim Jones
n3wb

« Reply #884 on: October 22, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »

Hi Andy, yep... This is my band:

http://cottonmillrecords.co.uk/pages/darklanterns

There's some nice video on there filmed last week too. We've got an album coming out Dec / Jan and have a big orange T25 camper van in which to wander the country promoting it :-)

FB is here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tim-Jones-The-Dark-Lanterns/342057772540093 and I'm @DarkLanterns on Twitter
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #885 on: October 23, 2014, 09:13:06 AM »

Hi Tim. Cool
James Marr
n3wb

Loc: Harrogate, North Yorkshire

« Reply #886 on: January 13, 2015, 10:20:06 PM »

Hi everyone, Jude's just sent me through the link to this discussion as I'm another new member.  I guess the best thing to do is follow suit and answer the questions that seem to be the standard method of introduction, so here goes:

Hello!

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I'm James Marr.  I was born in Peterborough, grew up in Shropshire, ran away to University in Newcastle upon Tyne (where I gained a BA(Hons) in Archaeology).  I've lived all over the world at various points in my life/career.  My family and I emigrated to New Zealand in 2008 but, having lived through the terrible earthquakes that hit Christchurch, returned to North Yorkshire two years ago.  I now live just outside Harrogate with my wife, two sons, and our dog.  Work continues to keep me away from home much of the time and I now commute weekly to Farnborough with fair chunks of the year spent in Kazakhstan.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

To be a part of what seems to be a great group of like-minded people....see my answer to the question below.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

I first saw Fairport in 1988 in Shrewsbury.  Since then I've managed to collect most of their albums (particularly the earlier releases) on vinyl.  Last year I joined my brother (a seasoned veteran) at Cropredy as a 'Convention Virgin'.  It really was a life-changing experience.  Fantastic music but, more importantly, a wonderful atmosphere created by so many friendly people.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

To be honest I listen to anything and everything.  It's a bit like wine - it doesn't matter what the label is or how much it costs, if you like it that's all that matters.  Whilst already a huge folk music fan, Cropredy 2014 has turned me on to Prog in a big way.  Steve Hackett and Marillion just blew me away. 

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

I went and saw Marillion playing in London as part of their recent Xmas tour.  It was everything I hoped it would be.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

I don't really buy CDs anymore.  Spotify has been a great addition to my musical life giving me access to such vast quantities of great music.  I still buy the occasional record, however, and am a great lover of Discogs.  I still get my mits onto CDs on a regular basis though, courtesy of Mojo and Prog magazines.  I've been listening to a lot of early Genesis recently, however, one album that I downloaded recently is by a band that I would love to see live 'One and All' by The Fisherman's Friends.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Dave Crosby and I will
            sing:  'Almost Cut My Hair'  - I saw CSN at the Royal Albert Hall in 2013 and had tears in my eyes when they performed this...epic genius.

Looking forward to Cropredy 2015 - tickets arrived from Santa!!!

James
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:30:18 PM by James Marr » Logged
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #887 on: January 13, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »

Welcome,

Cant recommend seeing the Fishermans Friends live, enough.

Management (the wife) and I went down to Port Isaac to see the Fisherman's Friends sing live on the Harbour as they do most alternate Fridays.
We were on holiday there, even I wont drive that far for a gig.(from North wales).

Brilliant,two good real ale pubs hemming in the slipway and a decent crowd for their set . They were so at home and so accessible. One of the best evenings I've ever had.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #888 on: January 14, 2015, 09:21:04 AM »

I'm really hoping to do that this summer - we've booked a holiday down in Cornwall, not too far from Port Isaac, and if they don't turn out to be singing then, I shall be gutted!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #889 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »

Hi James, from another Newcastle Alumnus.  Cool
Barbara Elizabeth

« Reply #890 on: January 14, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »

Hi James, my sister lives in Woodend Nr Christchurch NZ. She was in town when the earthquake happened! One of her boys was in college at the time & has refused to go into Christchurch since.
simon marr
n3wb

« Reply #891 on: January 16, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »

Okay ..... Simon here and some answers:

1.   Who are you and where are you from? Simon Marr, live in Herefordshire and work in London

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?  My brother found the site and passed it on to me.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?  Been listening to Fairport since...well a long time ago.  Seen them a few times and managed Cropredy for the 25th, 35th and last year's festival.  Got my tickets for this year.

4.   What kind of music do you like?  Eclectic, but I guess everyone says that.  Folk, rock, psychedelic and prog.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?  Last gig was Marillion's Christmas gig at the Forum with my brother.  And then the Advent Service at Hereford cathedral.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?  Rather than one I just bought, ow about two.... was given the complete Basement tapes by my daughters for birthday last year.  What to say other than I'm a Bobcat so nit ticked very box.  And now waiting for The Waterboys' latest - and will be seeing them at the Roundhouse on 3rd Feb.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Bob Dylan and I will
            sing:  ' Visions of Johanna'
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #892 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »

Hello Simon and welcome  Grin

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #893 on: January 17, 2015, 11:10:50 AM »

Hi Simon. Cool
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #894 on: January 25, 2015, 12:35:51 AM »

Hi Simon. Cool

good to have you aboard Simon matey  Wink
Lompoc Mike
n3wb

Loc: California

Howdy!

« Reply #895 on: February 06, 2015, 10:29:39 PM »

Hi---California fan here. Hope the boys make it back over the pond some time.
OK, bye.
Mike W from Lompoc CA

Surf's Up!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #896 on: February 06, 2015, 10:35:05 PM »

Hi---California fan here. Hope the boys make it back over the pond some time.
OK, bye.
Mike W from Lompoc CA

Hello Mike glad you have found us here  Smiley

If you would like to lose your anonymous tag there should be a red notice on the home page that you can see, (only anonymous people can see it so I don't know what it says!)

Follow the instructions and you should be unanonymoused. At the moment there will be limitations to what you can do on here.

Jude  Cheesy

Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #897 on: February 06, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »

Hi James, from another Newcastle Alumnus.  Cool

And me: a lot of my friends were in theArcheology dept, years 1981-1984.

It was a shock this year to find the old building had been knocked down.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #898 on: February 07, 2015, 01:13:51 AM »

"unanonymoused"

What a lovely word    Sleepy

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #899 on: February 07, 2015, 09:03:55 AM »

"unanonymoused"

What a lovely word    Sleepy

It's a classic Talkawhile word I do believe. Part of the common parlance of the Mods  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: