TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:55:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726589 times)
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #660 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »

Welcome Phil  its good to have new blood in our midst

Have you met they young lady standing behind that rather high table ?? Roll Eyes

That is the BAR and she is The Landlady Grin

mines a glass of Old Tom please

Watch out for some of the members (they only appear when you are buying a round)

Good to meet you  look forward to chatting

Dave P Afro
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #661 on: January 21, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »

well its a good name, Phil, Are you now, or have you ever been, involved in projects with Blur or the Who? Cool

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #662 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »

Always a pleasure to welcome a Great Big Sea fan. We need to persuade them to come over here one of these days.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #663 on: January 22, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »

Always a pleasure to welcome a Great Big Sea fan. We need to persuade them to come over here one of these days.

Amen...! Welcome aboard!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Phil 1982

« Reply #664 on: January 24, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

Alas, I don't think any generic London gangster parts are going to come my way very soon. However, at one of my shows I was very close to having to do a rendition of Parklife......!

Very much agree about GBS. The show they did a few years back at The Borderline in Tottenham Court Road is quite possibly the best gig I have ever been to - a sing-a-long from start to finish with 250 p*ssed up Canadians - brilliant!
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #665 on: January 24, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

No matter where GBS play, the Canadians seem to come out by the millions! I have seen them at many venues over the years, but even at a Sunday night show in New Haven Connecticut (not a booming metropolis by any means, but a college town), 90% of the crowd were Canadians!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
bobnich
n3wb

« Reply #666 on: February 13, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »

Hi,  I've just joined!!!  My name is Bob and I live in North Kent.  Found the site just googling for folk related stuff and found it very interesting, so decided to get involved. Always loved Fairport since hearing the first album whilst still at school.  Seen them 7 times over the years but never at Cropredy. First time at 1970 Bath Festival. The last gig I attended was Gordon Giltrap at The Gulbenkian(University of Kent) last year. As always a very entertaining evening at an excellent venue.  The last CD I bought was the June Tabor/Oysterband CD after seeing the Folk Awards last week.  Really good stuff and highly recommended.  Tonight Sir Robert I am going to be Tom Waits singing Ruby's Arms.
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #667 on: February 13, 2012, 10:48:48 AM »

Hi,  I've just joined!!!  My name is Bob and I live in North Kent.  Found the site just googling for folk related stuff and found it very interesting, so decided to get involved. Always loved Fairport since hearing the first album whilst still at school.  Seen them 7 times over the years but never at Cropredy. First time at 1970 Bath Festival. The last gig I attended was Gordon Giltrap at The Gulbenkian(University of Kent) last year. As always a very entertaining evening at an excellent venue.  The last CD I bought was the June Tabor/Oysterband CD after seeing the Folk Awards last week.  Really good stuff and highly recommended.  Tonight Sir Robert I am going to be Tom Waits singing Ruby's Arms.

Ah, I love Ruby's Arms.  I always get confused, though, between this and Van Morrison & The Chieftains singing Raglan Road. Is it just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMOJoyx6L0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dobte0rRKUA

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #668 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »

Welcome Bob. Long time since I saw G Giltrap. Still love Visionary etc. What's he up to these days?
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #669 on: February 15, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »

Advertising the Vintage Gordon Giltrap signature model.

Paul

Poetra (Petra)
n3wb

« Reply #670 on: March 12, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »

Oh my, I wanted to go the lazy way and copy my first "hello" from the new members page into this site, having been re-directed by Jude, but than this Q&A market research threw me off   Shocked

OK, I'm just quiet green still when it comes to folk, but I love folk.

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I am me and want to take a little time before saying where I'm from, since we are all a bunch of strangers and I was raised not to reveal too much to strangers before knowing them Wink But I'm no spammer, I promise!

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

A frustrated afternoon yesterday with my friends, some of whom laughed at my new discovery in folk music (The Carolina Chocolate Drops). Searched for a folk-forum, yours came up 1st or at least on top of the search results. *Lucky you*  Wink

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Nothaaang, zippo, Fairport rings a bell, but not sure. I just stumbled upong this site looking for like minded folk.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Folk and rock (indie and mix) equally number 1 music likes. Also like Classic, some good electronic (not techno) and often all mixed with good folk and/or rock. I love the real old folk and blues. Alan Lomax recorded stuff. And I love Klezmer and also Sacred Harp. But mainly pure folk, and much of rock which is vast, but indie stuff.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Last Thu & Fri at Cité de la musique in Paris. Thu, the Band Moriarty (saw them by accident, but fantastic band and gig!) and one of my favorite artists Sophie Hunger, both Moriarty and Hunger amongst other bands were invite to mainly play Dylan songs. That was my draw to go.

Cité de la musique has a Dylan "explosion" that started on 6th March and going till July this year. The city is plastered with Dylan posters. Liking Dylan, I combined a weekend trip with concerts.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Oooohhhh my, now you're talking!! The Carolina Chocolate Drops "Leaving Eden" which I discovered in the Cité de la musique bookstore while it was playing over the system!!!!!! Old style folk with a modern twist at times, some beat boxing even and produced by the wonderful Buddy Miller! They really know how to play the old style folk. I always recommend CDs that I buy. I buy = I like = I recommend  Smiley

The sales clerk was so excited when I asked who's that playing over the speakers that he literally jumped to the counter and handed me the CD Cover while humming every tune!! I originally wanted to buy another (shall remain nameless) album/artist, when I put it back and bought the Carolina Chocolate Drops instead (sorry, unnamed artist!  Undecided)

Also almost same time I bought the CD from Moriarty "Gee Whiz But This Is A Lonesome Town", whose gig I saw by accident last week. "Whiteman's Ballad" currently being my favorite song, especially live!! The harmonica player is out of this world!

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. Sophie Hunger, Billie Holiday, Matthew Milia, Bobby McFerrin (all in a choir) and I will sing:  ' Charles Barnett's version of Run to Jesus for Refuge'

Thanks awfully.

Welcome.

Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #671 on: March 12, 2012, 11:50:26 PM »

Welcome Petra, hopefully all the folk on here won't soon be strangers, though a few of us are pretty strange.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #672 on: March 13, 2012, 12:41:24 AM »

Welcome Petra, hopefully all the folk on here won't soon be strangers, though a few of us are pretty strange.

Speak for yerself Andy!  Wink Welcome Petra.  Smiley

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #673 on: March 13, 2012, 07:44:48 AM »

A frustrated afternoon yesterday with my friends, some of whom laughed at my new discovery in folk music (The Carolina Chocolate Drops). Searched for a folk-forum, yours came up 1st or at least on top of the search results. *Lucky you*  Wink

Ooh I say  Shocked Shocked  Why would anyone laugh at you for liking the Carolina Chocolate Drops  Huh  Incidentally, they have done a version of Reynardine (spelt as Reynadine), a song which was also done by Fairport Convention on Liege and Lief. So that is now one thing you know about Fairport.  Grin
Poetra (Petra)
n3wb

« Reply #674 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »

Nice. Yep, aren't we folky folk not strange? ... and proud of it!!  Roll Eyes Yiihaaaw!

Poetra (Petra)
n3wb

« Reply #675 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »

Speak for yerself Andy!  Wink Welcome Petra.  Smiley

Thanks  Smiley
Poetra (Petra)
n3wb

« Reply #676 on: March 13, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »

Ooh I say  Shocked Shocked  Why would anyone laugh at you for liking the Carolina Chocolate Drops  Huh  Incidentally, they have done a version of Reynardine (spelt as Reynadine), a song which was also done by Fairport Convention on Liege and Lief. So that is now one thing you know about Fairport.  Grin

Well, if some people are just into the usual stuff played on mainstream radio, of course they would laugh at old time folk songs.

It's like drinking cheap booze for a long time and then having a sip of Chteau Haut Brion Pessac-Lognan 1982, and they go *yikes* Lips Sealed

They're not accustomed to the rich heritage. When I said that the laughing and intolerance is ignorance, one reply was "Ignorance is bliss". Hearing this from a "friend" can be quiet something. Dissapointing of course. Sad...

Yet on the other side, this "friend" now will never know my treasures in life, no matter if this be music (even music he'd like) or any other important thing to me. I leave them be, in ignorance, in their bliss and in their miss.

Other friends don't like my music taste, which is totally fine with me, but nevertheless they respect and appreciate it, for they understand art, culture, history, and the meaning of tolerance and respect. Any other intollerant or disrespectful "friend" just closed a door.

Poetra

P.S. thanks for my first lesson in Fairport. Where can I find more indepth info or a crashcourse?

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #677 on: March 13, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »

You could do worse than Fairport's own website,
http://www.fairportconvention.com/

If you look at the history bit you'll see who's who and what's what..  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Poetra (Petra)
n3wb

« Reply #678 on: March 13, 2012, 06:36:04 PM »

Thanks. I've been on their site already earlier and must admit, it's a little bit of overload on information. I often look for a brief overview and intoduction and then I'll dig deeper.

I would've loved for someone to break it down a little first. But the Internet and forums are limited in time, I undertand that.

Good evening everybody.

P.

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #679 on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »

Thanks. I've been on their site already earlier and must admit, it's a little bit of overload on information. I often look for a brief overview and intoduction and then I'll dig deeper.

I would've loved for someone to break it down a little first. But the Internet and forums are limited in time, I undertand that.

Good evening everybody.

P.

You can't do much worse than wikipedia or allmusic.com
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: