TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:48:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 732550 times)
Monkey (Andrew)
n3wb

« Reply #460 on: December 01, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »

Sadly just the Double CD at the moment although I know that
I wont be able to resist the box set for long. "Sigh"!  Roll Eyes

Peace,
Andrew.

The last CD I bought was
The Promise by Bruce Springsteen. Quality Music IMHO.  Smiley

Peace,
Andrew.

box set or double cd?

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #461 on: December 01, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »

Sadly just the Double CD at the moment although I know that
I wont be able to resist the box set for long. "Sigh"!  Roll Eyes

Peace,
Andrew.

same here , i was wondering if you had the box and what it was like and whether it was worth the extra £65  for a few photos 3 dvds that probably wont get much watching and a cd i have owned for donkeys years
that said, if i win the lottery tonight i might indulge Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #462 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »

I'm Longboard Jimmy (aka Bodhisurfer aka jim Manley) I'm originally from London but I've been in Kernowfornia for the last 15 years -and I'll probably die here -though hopefully not any time soon Roll Eyes

I joined this forum because I heard mention of it on another forum as a good place for getting info on folk music festies Cool

I dont know too much about Fairport Convention Lips Sealed, very influential blah blah and i'm ashamed to say I've never been to Coropedy -and I certainly cant spell it. However, some of my best friends go. Every year honest. And I'd like to go if it wernt for the pesky kids and the dog and the job and its not in Cornwall and... Kiss

I love all kinds of music. I really do.

The last gig I went to was The Bad Shepherds in Carnglaze Caverns which is just down the road from me. Its basically a huge hole in the ground. The sound was pretty poor but they really were AWESOME! Much much better than I was expecting for some reason.

oops! tella lie! It was Seth Lakeman at Sterts in Cornwall -another hole in the ground! He was very good but i did expect him to be and the Good Lady that shares my life does fancy him, cos he's good looking and handsome, sings and plays well.... Embarrassed

The last cd I bought was Beethovens 6th, it was on special offer and conducted by Von Karajan and yes I'd certainly reccomend it.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Hank Williamsand I will
            sing:  ' My son calls another man Daddy'  

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #463 on: January 02, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »

The last cd I bought was Beethovens 6th, it was on special offer and conducted by Von Karajan and yes I'd certainly reccomend it.

Beethoven was OK, but he should have put more banjos in his music.  Smiley
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #464 on: January 02, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »

hiya jimmy, welcome to talkawhile!  it's me, groove st!
(well i was groove st on here for ages, but now i'm me.........)
it's nice around here and there are very many knowledgeable musos and a few silly people too............

it'll be fine.......
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #465 on: January 02, 2011, 04:24:34 PM »

hiya jimmy, welcome to talkawhile!  it's me, groove st!
(well i was groove st on here for ages, but now i'm me.........)
it's nice around here and there are very many knowledgeable musos and a few silly people too............

Hiya Abby/groove st Wink It was your post on the other forum that got me to come and have a look at this one -and I'd forgotten how how good Fairport are/were Lips Sealed
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »

Beethoven was OK, but he should have put more banjos in his music.  Smiley

And a Bouzouki or two wouldnt have done him any harm either Wink
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #467 on: January 02, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Hank Williamsand I will
            sing:  ' My son calls another man Daddy'  

brilliant , just dont drip seawater all over the shagpile

The Dude abides
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #468 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:38 PM »

Any friend of Hank Williams is a friend of mine  Grin
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #469 on: January 02, 2011, 09:42:48 PM »

Welcome Jimmy.  Grin

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #470 on: January 03, 2011, 08:42:39 AM »

Hello jimmy, am also on ukh! Smiley

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #471 on: January 03, 2011, 09:15:24 AM »

Hello jimmy, am also on ukh! Smiley

Ah yes, I recognise the avatar Smiley Hola and Happy New Year!
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #472 on: January 04, 2011, 12:08:19 PM »

Hi jimmy. Welcome.

I was at Chapel Porth last week.  The surf looked fantastic. Not a soul in the water.

What's this other board Ukh then?

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #473 on: January 04, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »

Greetings Jimmy.  

Good to see another Kernowite on the board. I've only been living down here 2 years - where are you & are you new to Cornwall?

Slippy
 Roll Eyes
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #474 on: January 04, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »

Hi jimmy. Welcome.

I was at Chapel Porth last week.  The surf looked fantastic. Not a soul in the water.

My partner and I went in xmas day and again a few days later on my 50th. Strangely the water doesnt get proper cold untill about April -shame no ones told the air about that Wink
Ukh is another forum for Hippy/alternativy types. seem to be quite a few folk from here on there Smiley
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #475 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »

Greetings Jimmy.  

Good to see another Kernowite on the board. I've only been living down here 2 years - where are you & are you new to Cornwall?

Slippy
 Roll Eyes

[;-)Hola, I've been down here about 15years now -but that still makes me an 'emmett' Grin We're almost smack bang in the middle of Looe and Liskeard in a little village with an ancient well. They say that which ever partner gets to drink first from the well gets to rule the home. Damn that well!!! Cry
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #476 on: January 04, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »

Ukh is another forum for Hippy/alternativy types. seem to be quite a few folk from here on there Smiley
This one?
longboard Jimmy

« Reply #477 on: January 04, 2011, 09:23:13 PM »

This one?

yep thats the one Grin
Stuart

« Reply #478 on: January 15, 2011, 03:21:05 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? Hi all, my name is Stuart and I'm from the great state of Louisiana in the US.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? Been a longtime fan of English Electric Folk. It started when I tripped across a live Lindisfarne cd recorded at ... you guessed it .... Cropredy. From there, I discovered Steeleye Span, whom I love. It was Nigel Stonier's connection with Lindisfarne that led me to pick up Wood & The Wire to see what it was like. Well, I was hooked.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? I've read quite a bit about Fairport and its history. While I heard Liege & Leaf years ago (when I discovered Steeleye), it was Wood & The Wire that I really enjoyed. I really like Chris Leslie's voice/playing/songwriting and think it's contributed to Fairport continuing. Lindisfarne tried a similar path with adding Billy Mitchell, but it didn't pan out...which was a shame.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Grew up loving hard rock and NWOBHM bands. Bands I liked included UFO, Thin Lizzy and Rainbow. Then I discovered Tull, which opened the door to exploring bands like Lindisfarne, Steeleye and Fairport. Also like some progressive music like ELP, The Nice and King Crimson.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? I don't get to many shows any more...bands I like don't tour in the South. I think my last show was a couple of years ago..the original Asia's first tour back. Big fan of John Wetton's voice.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? The most recent CD was by NWOBHM band Dark Star. I've had it on record since it was released and noticed it was available on CD cheap. I like it, but I'm not sure a lot of folks here would. :-)

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer (wow, this is tough) Mickey Thomas and I will
            sing:  ''Jane" (Jefferson Starship's Freedom At Point Zero is one of my all time favorite records).
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #479 on: January 15, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? The most recent CD was by NWOBHM band Dark Star. I've had it on record since it was released and noticed it was available on CD cheap. I like it, but I'm not sure a lot of folks here would. :-)

Good lord! "Lady of Mars" Dark Star? I had that single when it came out!  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: