TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:48:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 732809 times)
Kevin the Jester

Loc: Northants

« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2009, 10:20:42 PM »

Hello! here's my go at the "new members" quiz.... hopefully this will introduce myself to you all!

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

My name is Kevin Burke (NOT the Irish Fiddler!) and I live just outside Wellingborough in Northants

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

Lots of people have told me about it, and I've been meaning to join for quite a while... now I've finally got around to it

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

I've been a fan of Fairport since the early 70's, and wouldn't miss Cropredy for the world!

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Almost anything, but at heart I'm an old folkie

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Cave's 5th anniversary gig at the Northampton Labour club last friday night. Took me back to my student days as it was hot, packed, the floor was awash with beer, and the set was fantastic! Before that, the ceilidh at the moulton festival, dancing to the wonderful Asha.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

Last CD to get into my hands was Little Johnny England's 10 years later... it's been playing continuously in my car ever since and I love it!

7.   Complete the following sentence:

“Sorry, Sir Robert, but there are far too many brilliant singers and songs to possibly decide on just one!"

All my very best wishes to everyone!

Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »

What's that black stuff around your eyes Axel, is that mascara ?
Consider this before answering  Wink

All right, I can see it's no good lying to you, sir. I confess: it is mascara... but... only a little bit.

Nice  Cheesy

Welcome aBoard

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Axel Ostermann

Loc: CAMVLODVNVM

« Reply #162 on: June 10, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »

Nice  Cheesy

Welcome aBoard

He he.  Well, I could go on all day quoting from Robert's work, but it'd only send everybody nuts  Undecided
Rumours of me wandering around festivals dressed as a Starfighter pilot are entirely true, I'm afraid  Smiley
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #163 on: June 10, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »

Nice  Cheesy
Welcome aBoard

He he.  Well, I could go on all day quoting from Robert's work, but it'd only send everybody nuts  Undecided
Rumours of me wandering around festivals dressed as a Starfighter pilot are entirely true, I'm afraid  Smiley

I'm afraid we couldn't possibly  Roll Eyes accept that as true until photographic evidence has been provided  Grin Grin

Axel Ostermann

« Reply #164 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:39 AM »

Click here...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=176290&l=39cf4cea9a&id=1378126218

this one was taken after a concert - I'm wandering around the car park trying to figure-out where I parked the Starfighter.  You'd think it would be easy to spot really, wouldn't you?  Wink
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »

Hi everyone, new forum member, but reader for a couple of years.
Thanks to Jude for pointing me to this introduction page.

I'm Ian, I'm 48 (eek, how did that happen ?), and I live in Kirkstall, near Leeds.

2.  What made you join Talkawhile?
I've lurked as a reader of the forums and it looks like a good place to be.

I've been a Fairport fan since the 70's, first saw them live in 1979, and have been to most Cropredys since 1994.

4.  What kind of music do you like?
Most things, really. I've seen Steve Harley live over 70 times, Fairport around 40 times, Tull about the same and love my live gigs.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
'Trippin' The 60's' with Barry McGuire and John York.
Amazing to see a legend perform the classic songs of the 60's, especially 'Eve Of Destruction'.

'Roadsinger' by Yusuf. It's a good album, more like 'Teaser and The Firecat' than his recent material.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, Steve Harley  and I will sing:  ' Dino ( Star For A Week)

Unless I'm really intoxicated, and it could be 'Wuthering Heights' by Kate Bush. Luckily, this is a very rare happening, 2004 was the last time.  Grin

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »

Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, Steve Harley  and I will sing:  ' Dino ( Star For A Week)
Unless I'm really intoxicated, and it could be 'Wuthering Heights' by Kate Bush. Luckily, this is a very rare happening, 2004 was the last time.  Grin

Welcome aBoard!   Cheesy

ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:28 PM »

Hello!  

I'm Thom, I'm 29 and originally from Windsor but living in London.

I'll be honest - I'm really looking for some tickets to the Barbican gig.  I only found out about it on Saturday and obviously by then it was far, far too late to buy tickets properly.  But I'll only ask once, promise.  And I shoudl stick around really.  You all seem very nice.

Heee.  I could probably draw Pete Frame's Fairport family tree from memory - I've got all the albums up to Tippler's Tales, and the Free Reed box set, plus the RT box, and a lot of albums by RT, Plainsong, Trader Horne... you get the idea.  

Been to Cropredy three times (05, 06, 07) with my girlfriend's family (her uncle is a veteran since '86) but events have meant we couldn't go last year (same weekend as my Dad's birthday), this year (my girfriend's sister is getting married) or next year (have a wedding to go to in Hungary!).

Most things.  I'm a sucker for Motown and Steely Dan mostly.

I'm also bass player/ occasional guitarist/ keyboard player in a band called The Gresham Flyers.  We've been described as 'very 1979' by a nice lady, and we've put some stuff out (album, couple of singles, Christmas songs), and I think we're quite good.  Google us if you like.  

I saw Blur last night in Southend.  I have tender ankles and bruises all over from excessive jumping around.  It was brilliant.  I'm going to do it all again on Wednesday night in Wolverhampton.

I got an order of cheap CDs from Amazon delivered today.
V/A: G-Spots - The Spacey Folk Electro-Horror Sounds Of the Studio G Library
Comus: The Complete Collection
Joni Mitchell: Miles Of Aisles
Viv Stanshall: Sir Henry At Rawlinson End
The Beastie Boys: The In Sound From Way Out
The Beatles: Anthology 2

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer David Crosby and I will
            sing:  'See Emily Play'
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »

Hi everyone, new forum member, but reader for a couple of years.
Thanks to Jude for pointing me to this introduction page.

I'm Ian, I'm 48 (eek, how did that happen ?), and I live in Kirkstall, near Leeds.

2.  What made you join Talkawhile?
I've lurked as a reader of the forums and it looks like a good place to be.

I've been a Fairport fan since the 70's, first saw them live in 1979, and have been to most Cropredys since 1994.

4.  What kind of music do you like?
Most things, really. I've seen Steve Harley live over 70 times, Fairport around 40 times, Tull about the same and love my live gigs.

'Trippin' The 60's' with Barry McGuire and John York.
Amazing to see a legend perform the classic songs of the 60's, especially 'Eve Of Destruction'.

'Roadsinger' by Yusuf. It's a good album, more like 'Teaser and The Firecat' than his recent material.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, Steve Harley  and I will sing:  ' Dino ( Star For A Week)

Hi and welcome. Nice to see another Yorkie on here, even though this one has been exiled in France for the last 5 years.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2009, 02:27:40 PM »

I'm a Yorkie too, although exiled in Scotland!
Axel Ostermann

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »

I'm a Yorkie too

Huh Huh Huh
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2009, 05:26:11 PM »

Axel, I think you should be barred...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Axel Ostermann

« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »

Careful...
we don't want this thread to become choc full of puns  Tongue
RogerJ
n3wb

Loc: Sunny West Sussex

« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »

I'm Roger from Worthing in sunny (although not at the moment Wink ) West Sussex. Apart from music my main interests are Non-League Football (I'm currently chairman of the Worthing Football Club Supporters Association) and beer (I'm membership secretary for the local CAMRA branch)

It seemed like a good idea at the time

I'm old enough to remember them gigging at the Cooksferry Inn on the North Circular. I went to some of the earlier festivals but I've not been back for something like 10 years. I hope to put that right this year. Last time I saw FC was in their acoustic formation in Lewes more than a year back

Most really. Although I am not too keen on anything that carries an Easy Listening tag. Favourites include Neil Young, Tom Waits, Clash, Dick Gaughan and just too many more to mention

Last Friday I saw Oysteband at Crawley with support from Robb Johnson and Mawkin Causley. All 3 on top form - a thoroughly enjoyable evening

Diana Jones - Better Times Will Come which I bought after hearing her blow me away last weekend at The Big Session. 'king marvellous

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

Tonight Sir Robert,I'm going to be Joe Strummer and I will sing Stay Free
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »

Last Friday I saw Oysteband at Crawley with support from Robb Johnson and Mawkin Causley. All 3 on top form - a thoroughly enjoyable evening

-indeed an excellent evening, -and the beer was pretty good too!
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2009, 03:31:01 PM »

I didn't know you were going to be there Polly, missed another opportunity to meet a new TAW.   Roll Eyes

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2009, 04:30:10 PM »

You were a bit far from home Annie, I wasn't looking out for other TAWs.
I always say hello to Gill, but it occurs to me that maybe she doesn't have a clue why...  Embarrassed
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »

I always say hello to Gill, but it occurs to me that maybe she doesn't have a clue why...  Embarrassed

Grin

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »

I'm Jeremy and I'm from Cornwall but I live in Leicester.

Having lurked for quite a while it seemed like the decent thing to do.

Quite a bit, though undoubtedly nowhere near as much as many people here.  I like most of the early Fairport stuff but only selected bits of the later.  Been to about a dozen Cropredys, was a regular through the Nineties but stopped going because I got less impressed with the bill each year.  Last there for the 40th, won't be there this year.

An impossible question but a lot of folk, alt.country, singer-songwriter-type stuff with the odd interlude for something ridiculously loud.

Lucy Wainwright Roche @ The Musician in Leicester.  A complete revalation and one of the few children of famous musical parents who shows every sign of being as good as those parents.

Both Lucy Wainwright Roche albums.  Unreservedly, which is unusual for me.

Another impossible question so I shall give a particularly impossible answer:

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Mary Chapin Carpenter and I will
            sing:  'Jubilee.'  If I get an encore I'll transform into Dar Willams and have a go at 'Iowa.'

Warning; tomorrow night the answer to this question will be completely different.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Axel Ostermann

« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »

Warning; tomorrow night the answer to this question will be completely different.

Quite right too - variety is the spice etc.  Smiley

The tune currently going round my head is Wild Winter by Anubian Lights, but that's coz I just watched the video.  Yesterday it was Long Lankin, and tomorrow...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: