TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:38:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726384 times)
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I'm Keith and, though originally from the West Midlands, I've lived in North London for the last 12 years.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

To fully prepare myself for my second Cropredy this year.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Fairport who? I'm learning - slowly - about FC, and have been to the last two Cropredys (Cropredies?).  I came to FC through a growing admiration for the work of Richard Thompson.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

The list is long and growing.There's not much that I'll rule out, though opera and classical are both on the "no" list.  Rock, pop, folk, country, it makes no difference.  My philosophy is that there is no such thing as "good" and "bad" music, only "music I like" and "music I don't like".

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Moseley Folk Festival at the weekend. It's as much a "folk" festival as Cropredy is....but is excellent, low-key and a beautiful setting.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

"Threads" by Ruth Notman.  Haven't listened to it yet, but she was great live at the weekend!

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Bruce Springsteen and I will
            sing  'John Henry' "
Betty
a certain charm in a wobbly bunny
n3wb

Loc: Twyford

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? Hi I'm Liz from Twyford, or Betty slippers from the Spiers and Boden forum, whichever takes your fancy

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? Quite a few TAWers over on the other board, so thought it was about time I found out about this place

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? Not as much as I should  Embarrassed Have read that to be a true folkie I should have been to Cropredy at least twice...

4.   What kind of music do you like? Eclectic tastes. My first love was rock, then indie, and now folk

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? Went to Towersey the other weekend - completely brilliant, particulary Bellowhead and Mawkin:Causley

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? Viva la Vida by Coldplay - haven't listened to it yet. Seasick Steve is coming in the post soon, very much looking forward to that.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Freddie Mercury and I will
            sing:  'Who wants to Live Forever'

Bit worried what all of the above might say about me...  Undecided

Living a life of concertinas and Bellowhead...
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 01:59:17 AM »

It's terrific to see you here at last!  

Come in, come in and join us - we thrive on new faces, new viewpoints and lots of other things with the word 'new' in front of them.

Modge
n3wb

Loc: Ludlow, Salop

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? I'm Steve from Ludlow Shropshire.
2.   What made you join Talkawhile? I was told about it by Genevieve Tudor of the Radio Shropshire Sunday night folk show fame  Smiley
3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?  Iv none about Cropredy for a few years now, went there last year and loved it. Fairport are one of my top bands ever!!
4.   What kind of music do you like?  I like most kinds of music, But Mainly folk,prog rock, blues but allsorts really.
5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  That would be Shrewsbury Folk Fest to see Richared Thompson of course. Kerfuffle and the Doonans were very good also IMO, It was a terrific time there.
6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  kerfuffle K2, managed to get it sighed as-well. Oh just remembered R Thompson's autograph as well. 
Adam W
Hello, where's Gromit?

Loc: Bognor Regis

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »

I'm Adam, son of Poor Will, I'm 17 on Wednesday and I'm sadly from Bognor Regis

I wanted to discuss folky related things with other folkies

Cropredy is the greatest festival of all time!

Mostly folk and punk rock, so I think folk punk is the best music around!

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Cropredy 2008, need I say more?

The Levellers-Levellers, and I most certainly would!

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Joe Strummer and I will
            sing:  ' ....................*'   (name of song)
*I can't sing to save my life!
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 08:35:57 PM »

I'm Adam, son of Poor Will, I'm 17 on Wednesday and I'm sadly from Bognor Regis

I should keep quiet about it and just say you're from West Sussex, no-one will know then Grin

PS Welcome by the way Smiley
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 08:41:17 PM »

My in-laws live in West Sussex, but would prefer not to.

Welcome Adam W - 17 come Wednesday?  We (almost) know a song about that don't we children?

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
basketbob
n3wb

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 09:22:55 AM »

Hi Sir Bob, I believe we've already become aquainted on the Folk Radio Forum http://www.folkradio.co.uk

I am another Bob, he of the basket.

I heard about Talkawhile from Alex, the man at the cutting edge in that place.

What do I know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Aren't they some sort of a musical soireé collective?, and isn't Cropredy an anagram of Cyder pro?

I like most sorts of music. My first love is Trad Folk. I play a bit, and sing a bit myself. I dislike opera intensely.

The last gig I went to was Karine Polwart. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

(I like this Quiz)

The last CD I bought was 'Kitty Lie Over' by Mick O'Brien and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh. I know it's superb, but I'M STILL WAITING FOR IT (if you're listening out there in California)

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. Joni Mitchell and I will
            sing:  "a case of you"  

Of course, tomorrow I will change sex again and be John Martyn, then I'll change sex again and be Karine Polwart...................
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

Hello, good evening and welcome to my very good friend and (soon to be) drinking partner, Basket Bob.

I am playing folkradio uk as I speak to you and it's smashing.  Let's turn up the volume and boogie.  You can keep that dress on, BB - it suits you.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »

I'm Mick - I live in South Wales (Barry) but I'm originally from Birmingham

Dunno, seemed like a good idea at the time your honour

I've loved Fairport since I was knee high to a woss'name and I've been to Cropredy several times.  I missed this year but went in 2007.  This was a particularly poignant one for me as I went with my brother who was in the final stages of his fight with a brain tumour and he died a month later.  'Meet on the Ledge' was sung with much feeling I can tell you.

All sorts - Fairport, Steeleye, Martyn Joseph, Show of Hands, Seth Lakeman - but apart from folky stuff I have a soft spot for 60's and 70's rock and I'm a big fan of The Who, Lindisfarne and the Moody Blues (I know, there's very little hope)

Tiny Tin Lady in Cardiff a couple of weeks ago.  Very enjoyable, even if Beth wasn't very well and at one stage ran off to the ladies to be sick (sorry to lower the tone).

I bought 'Liejacker' by Thea Gilmore last week - I love her stuff and this was no exception.  I also bought the new Oasis album a couple of days ago, but that was for my son (who still hasn't paid me yet!) and had a sneaky listen in the car.  I actually enjoyed it - mostly.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Martyn Joseph and I will
            sing:  ' Cardiff Bay'  

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »

Come in, come in and make yourself at home, Mick.  Quiet everyone because I want to hear the marvellous and totally wonderful Cardiff Bay.  Give him some room and a schooner of sherry - I like the cut of his gib.  It's about time we had some quality around here.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 11:22:38 PM »

It's about time we had some quality around here.

Have a care, Sir Robert... there are some sensitive souls amongst us and I count myself as one of them.

I shall flounce off to the Arms and drown my sorrows in a pint of Dog's B*llocks with a large gin chaser.

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »

Half the b****y board are from Wales, now Wink
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 05:00:20 PM »

As I said, I live in Wales, but I'm English Roll Eyes

I do like Martyn Joseph, though!

Mick

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Maureen
Aarr, but I have Cornish ancestors

Loc: Grays, Essex

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 12:35:11 AM »

1. I am Maureen from Grays, Essex

2. I joined TAW having joined the Bellowhead/Spiers & Boden forum a couple of months back, and heard rumours that the craic was just as good over here!

3.  I have known of Fairporrt since the 60's and have 3-4 CD's but only heard of Cropredy this year - and that too late to make plans to go.

4. I like most kinds of music but cannot stand (c)rap! Favourite is folk and folk/rock.

5. Last gig was Show of Hands at our local theatre. It was excellent.

6. Last CD I bought was Belshazzer's Feast - The Food of Love - and I would highly recommend it.

7. Tonight Sir Robert I am going to be my all time favourite singer, Bob Dylan, and I am going to sing "Lay,Lady, Lay"

Nobody's dying wish was that they had more money in the bank.
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »

A deep bow, a light touch of my lips across the back of your hand followed by a kiss on both cheeks (mwah, mwah) and while I'm about it, I may as well go down on one knee and say: You are most welcome, dear Maureen.  

Do excuse me, I got quite carried away there.  Would you be most awfully kind and help me to me my feet, please.  Lips Sealed

Crack open a box of chocolates, everyone and say hello to Maureen.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »

Hello Maureen

You'll like it here!   Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Baz1L
flop like a fish

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »

Hello cyber folkies.  My name is Barry Steele reluctant front man of Something Nasty in the Woodshed.

1. Steered to this site by sound farmer pete, our Bass player. I generally follow him everywhere out of curiosity.

2. Never been to Cropedy yet but have been to several FC gigs and also Jethro Tull

3. Nothing like a good tragic folk song is there?

4. Last festival was Banbury, caught the summer and met my boyhood heros the Tannahill Weavers -ace.

5. CDs In my case the question is "what was the last CD you borrowed and never gave back" Answer Battlefield band and found them to be as crushingly talented as ever.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer the Ginger haired old timer from the Tom and Jerry cartoons circa 1978 and I will
            sing:  'Froggie wenna courtin he did ride ah-grumbo!!!'   Wink
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 08:12:07 PM »

Hell's bells, you didn't look all that reluctant when I saw you at the Banbury Canalside Festival t'other week!
 Cool

Welcome Barry. Grin Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »

Ok my first 'proper' post:

So me and my friend Lynn fancied these two lads. We heard they'd been seen going into The Swan, to a 'folk club' Huh
So in we went too...

That was in 1964, in Kettering, and I've been a folkie ever since.

And it's taken until now for me to find this site, I know I'm going to love it.

The questionnaire:

I'm Angie, and I live in Oxford

Found the site when I was looking for something else (forget what)

Cropredy; many many times, but not in the last few years sadly.

Music tastes-folk of all sorts obviously, also classical/rock/opera. Not too keen on jazz, and can't abide c&w, sorry.

Gigs; hmmm. Can't believe I missed Martin Carthy playing down the road a couple of weeks ago. Angry
Got my ticket for RT in Feb, and can't quite decide whether to go to John Martyn on Sunday.

Latest CD: Tell Tale Signs, Dylan

And tonight, Sir Robert, I'll be Linda and Richard, and as it's Saturday I'll sing 'I wanna see the Bright Lights Tonight'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: