TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:39:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WKWTTG: which version?  (Read 24333 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:40 PM »

unhalfbricking, every time
no other version comes close
then some way back Judy Collins

i liked Nanci Griffith's version until she said "Winta"  Sad

The Dude abides
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:11 PM »

this is a nice one................Fairport Convention -Unconventional

1. Walk Awhile
2. John Gaudie
3. Hexhamshire Lass
4. Slip Jigs And Reels
5. Poor Will/Jolly Hangman
6. Crazy Man Michael
7. Rosie
8. Farewell Farewell (rehearsal)
9. Now Be Thankful
10. Hiring Fair
11. Stranger To Himself
12. Sloth
13. Who Knows Where The Time Goes
14. Matty Groves
15. Meet On The Ledge (live on BBC 1968)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »

i like Unhalfbricking,Strawbs and this one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpURBJA4uA

Yeah, that's the original isn't it?  Then the Strawbs (not a version I'm very keen on) and the Fairport one... On balance it has to be the Unhalfbricking version doesn't it?

Out of those 3, I prefer the Unhalfbricking version. On the others, the rhytmn and words aren't quite right yet.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 10:53:57 PM »

repeat post alert...

Phoebe (niece of James out of SftBH) Partridge does a nice WKWTTG. I just thought I'd let you know  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLHyn-WkeCw

Although Simon's (live) pips it for me.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »

For me, it will always be the Unhalfbricking version, followed by several Sandy-fronted live Fairportversions. But latter days Fairport does a splendid job with it and Simon sings it beautifully with such emotion and fills the song to an extent that , in my mind, he and the band has "taken over" the song.
Can´t really say much about different cover versions,I find Collins OK, like Cassidy but I have yet to hear a female voice to touch Sandy`s!

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 01:19:01 AM »

I happen to know that the Sandy/Strawbs version will be part of this years Cropredy Interval Music.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 07:56:53 AM »

Not many takers for Kate then...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »

unhalfbricking, every time
no other version comes close
then some way back Judy Collins

Amen.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 02:02:12 PM »

i like Unhalfbricking,Strawbs and this one http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpURBJA4uA

Yeah, that's the original isn't it?  Then the Strawbs (not a version I'm very keen on) and the Fairport one... On balance it has to be the Unhalfbricking version doesn't it?

Out of those 3, I prefer the Unhalfbricking version. On the others, the rhytmn and words aren't quite right yet.
Smiley
Is "not quite right yet" another way of saying "different from the first version I heard and fell in love with"? What if the Strawbs version was the first one you heard and you fell in love with it? Wouldn't the subsequent versions be "not quite right"?
I only ask because that seems to be how my musical tastes work. With a very few exceptions, the first version of a song that I am exposed to will turn out to be my favorite, regardless of the merits of versions to which I am exposed later on. There's always a "this is how it should sound" feeling nagging me while listening to different versions.

This song is one of the rare exceptions: Judy Collins' version was the first one I was exposed to, and, while I did like it, I never really fell in love with it (and perhaps this is the difference) the way I fell in love with the unhalfbricking version.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 02:18:18 PM »

With a very few exceptions, the first version of a song that I am exposed to will turn out to be my favorite, regardless of the merits of versions to which I am exposed later on. There's always a "this is how it should sound" feeling nagging me while listening to different versions.

That's absolutely on the money, Bob - I think that's a fundamental truth right there.  And yes there are exceptions, but yes they are very rare.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »

So the question is:

Do we prefer

Across the evening sky

or

Across the purple sky

?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 02:31:42 PM »

Smiley
Is "not quite right yet" another way of saying "different from the first version I heard and fell in love with"? What if the Strawbs version was the first one you heard and you fell in love with it? Wouldn't the subsequent versions be "not quite right"?
I only ask because that seems to be how my musical tastes work. With a very few exceptions, the first version of a song that I am exposed to will turn out to be my favorite, regardless of the merits of versions to which I am exposed later on. There's always a "this is how it should sound" feeling nagging me while listening to different versions.

This song is one of the rare exceptions: Judy Collins' version was the first one I was exposed to, and, while I did like it, I never really fell in love with it (and perhaps this is the difference) the way I fell in love with the unhalfbricking version.

A good example, I prefer the 87 version of Meet On The Ledge because it was the first one I heard. Actually I heard it live first and bought it after the gig so I associate it with that.

So the question is:

Do we prefer

Across the evening sky

or

Across the purple sky

?

Evening sky!

Purple Haze!

Grin
RichardH

Loc: London N19

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »

A thread to be proud of! Still no views on Kate's recent version.

But we're now getting started on MOTL...
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »

After last night's RT gig I have to add a third favorite to my list:
                                       number 1 Sandy on Unhalfbricking
                                                  2 Simon  (I like the 3-piece acoustic version, but that may be because living in the States its the one I've heard live most often)
                                                  3 Richard Thompson did a beautiful and very moving rendition in tribute to Sandy........after he made some reference to Cropredy which could be taken to mean that he may be there this year. As a secret special guest?Huh? anyone heard any rumours ?? he is scheduled for the Greenman the next week.......
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »

.......after he made some reference to Cropredy which could be taken to mean that he may be there this year. As a secret special guest?Huh? anyone heard any rumours ?? he is scheduled for the Greenman the next week.......

Well, I think he will, as it there will be a special tribute to Sandy.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »

Sorry . I don't know how the Sad Face got in there --over abundance of ? I think. The biggest grin face would be more appropriate!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 07:48:45 PM »

.......after he made some reference to Cropredy which could be taken to mean that he may be there this year. As a secret special guest?Huh? anyone heard any rumours ?? he is scheduled for the Greenman the next week.......

Well, I think he will, as it there will be a special tribute to Sandy.

A close friend of mine lives in Guernsey....her teenage daughter's friend's family are close friends of the Thompson famille who visit them fairly regularly.  They have been distributing Cropredy guest tickets on Richard's behalf.  They certainly believe him to be there.  That's a third-hand way of saying 'my money's on him being there'  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »

Okay, I have to throw a dark horse in here that (i think) no one has mentioned yet.......and its my favorite:  The BBC version from '68 (or very early '69).

It follows a very similar meter to the Strawb version, setting it apart from the Unhalfbricking one.  However, its sound and treatment is very characteristic of Holidays, the album they were completing at the time of the session, and one for which I believe the song would have better complimented than Unhalfbricking.

Its so sweet, you can almost smell the incense!

Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »

3 Richard Thompson did a beautiful and very moving rendition in tribute to Sandy........after he made some reference to Cropredy which could be taken to mean that he may be there this year. As a secret special guest?Huh? anyone heard any rumours ?? he is scheduled for the Greenman the next week.......

He did it as well at the Royal Festival Hall a month or so back. He is very modest about it if you look at his response to a question on Beesweb (http://www.richardthompson-music.com/catch_of_the_day.asp?id=919), but we thought it was done very well and had qualities of its own that made it stand up well against all the other versions. I noticed the gap in his calendar around the Crpredy weekend too ...

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: