TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:43:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alison's Matty  (Read 3404 times)
Thor-Rune

« on: May 19, 2008, 09:34:26 AM »

Apologies if this has been mentioned before. But I got a pleasant surprise yesterday. I went to see Alison Krauss and Robert Plant in Oslo. A wonderful performance, deeply moving at times. Well recommended.

But the biggest surprise for me came halfway through one of their songs (I forget which one but it wasn't from "Raising Sand"). All of a sudden Alison Krauss picked up her fiddle and played a theme I recognized. It was "Matty Groves". FC's version of it. And not only that, she started singing it, as well. I think she sang the first four or five verses of it with the band doing their best FC impression. Then they went back to whatever song they'd been playing before Matty. It wouldn't surprise me one bit however, if Robert Plant was responsible for this idea, big FC fan that he is.

Not only that, but they also did "The battle of Evermore". Alison Krauss did it her way, rather than trying to outdo Sandy's original vocals, which, let's face it, nobody could. Her voice is, of course, different. But she did a great job. My favourite part of the two hours plus performance. If you get a chance to hear this, you'd be well advised to do so.

T-R
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:52:37 AM »

But the biggest surprise for me came halfway through one of their songs (I forget which one but it wasn't from "Raising Sand").
It was the Robert Plant hit "In the Mood" from his second solo album The Principle of Moments. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSt_bu7npjo
It's one of the few solo Plant offerings I've enjoyed, mainly due to its Rain Song-like arrangement.

And yes, it's been mentioned a couple times: here and here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: