TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Albion Band Beginner  (Read 129253 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »

Thank, Gub.  Well they're saying "never before released"....

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2010, 01:12:20 PM »

Some titles look familiar from the various Folk on 1/2 broadcasts perhaps??
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:58 AM »

I also noticed this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Another-Christmas-Present-Albion-Band/dp/B0046I8M48/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1

Seems to be a live Christmas album, presumably from the time of the original Christmas Present album, which is my favourite of the Albion Band Christmas albums

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »

Well I've just ordered mine.  Saw a copy going for under a tenner.  I really hope it's not just a reissue of the Guv'nor tracks though.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:02 AM »

Well I've just ordered mine.  Saw a copy going for under a tenner.  I really hope it's not just a reissue of the Guv'nor tracks though.

Jules

It is £8.95 on Play but I have been holding off. Talking Elephant's releases are usually available on ITunes so you can listen to track samples in advance of buying. That would have answered your question. For some reason though this one is not up on the site yet (or on Amazon downloads for that matter).

I definitely want it but I'd like to hear the quality first. TE's stuff can occasionally sound a bit bootleg like. Some of the stuff on When We Were Very Young for example is very poor and will not get a repeat listen.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »

I definitely want it but I'd like to hear the quality first. TE's stuff can occasionally sound a bit bootleg like. Some of the stuff on When We Were Very Young for example is very poor and will not get a repeat listen.

You're quite safe to get it, Gub - it sounds superb!   Cool

Jules

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2010, 08:12:19 AM »

You're quite safe to get it, Gub - it sounds superb!   Cool

Jules

Is there any information about where/when the recordings come from?  I'm afraid TE aren't always very good at that.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »

The first four tracks (in the same order) look like the 1973 Peel Session that appeared on Strange Fruit's "The BBC Sessions" with the Carthy/Kirkpatrick/Harris line-up.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2010, 09:04:12 AM »

The first four tracks (in the same order) look like the 1973 Peel Session that appeared on Strange Fruit's "The BBC Sessions" with the Carthy/Kirkpatrick/Harris line-up.

Yes I rather fear that this stuff isn't as rare as the Talking Elephant blurb makes out.

And the CD booklet is terrible.  The worst I've seen since the 80s!  Just a single folded inlay, with a couple of pictures and a list of all the musicians.  No track details at all.  They can do better than this!   Angry

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »

Yes I rather fear that this stuff isn't as rare as the Talking Elephant blurb makes out.

And the CD booklet is terrible.  The worst I've seen since the 80s!  Just a single folded inlay, with a couple of pictures and a list of all the musicians.  No track details at all.  They can do better than this!   Angry

Jules

It's a real shame that TE is consistently putting out great material in such a lazy & slipshod manner. A little more thought & application would make all the difference. Very frustrating. I'd be interested in learning the reasoning behind their issuing such poor packaging.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »

It's a real shame that TE is consistently putting out great material in such a lazy & slipshod manner. A little more thought & application would make all the difference. Very frustrating. I'd be interested in learning the reasoning behind their issuing such poor packaging.

Even some basic liner notes and some recording dates would so - and if they have to keep to a 4 page inlay, you can still include recording dates and a note to say 'previously unreleased' or not.

I'm beginning to suspect that this CD isn't what it claims to be.  Don't get me wrong - it sounds terrific - but I get the feeling it's just a compilation of previously released material.

TE need a slap on the wrist!

Jules

laret
n3wb

Loc: Mons Belgium

JPL John K

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »

I'm also a fan of Ashley Hutchings,and all what he make.(a belgian fan)I have(I think)all the records of albion(country-dance)band,but I know tha Ashley had a lot others records,solo,or with others band.I hace one of the Albion Christmas band,the marvellous DVD of Rainbow Chasers,"songs from the shows",the "guv'nor",but only vol one....And now,I don't know the projects of Ashley,with Ken Nicol,a new Rainbow Chasers...or a new Albion(acoustic,Christmas..)Band.Goodday to all from a new member

cecil sharp ashley
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »

I´ve just ordered Albion Christmas Bands "Traditional" from TE. The tracklisting looked interesting - along the line of the favourite St. Agnes - but I´d like to hear comments how "Traditional" is regarded here compared to other Albion Christmas Band CD:s...?

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »

I just emailed Talking Elephant about the Vintage II CD.  Here's a copy of my email:-

"Hi there

I recently bought a copy of the Albion Band Vintage II CD on the strength of your site describing it as a "fantastic never before released collection of rarities".

The CD itself has minimal information regarding the recording dates and other information about the tracks themselves (ie whether they are studio, live or radio broadcasts).  I would have thought this was the very least we could expect, even if costs prevented you from having anything over and above a 4 page inlay.

On listening to the CD, I find myself more than a little certain that most, if not all, of this material has been previously released.  Some of it sure sounds like the same recordings used on the now deleted BBC Sessions release.

In short I feel somewhat conned and ripped off.  The CD itself sounds great, but it strikes me that there's more than a little deceit going on here regarding its contents.

Disappointedly yours,

Jules Gray"

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »

TE's response:-

"Dear Jules,

I am sorry you are disappointed with the CD and can only say that we are guided by Ashley Hutchings as to the content of what is on the albums(whether previously released/quality etc). And our intention has never been to deceive. I would say we have received some very complimentary comments from other customers and magazines and often, as with all forms of art, the valuations can be very subjective.

However, since we value all of our customers(even those with gripes)we would be willing to offer you your money back should you care to send the CD to us along with details of where you bought it and what price.

I will leave the decision to you.

All the best,

Barry
Talking Elephant"

And my response to that:-

"Barry

Thanks for your fast and informative response.  I shall mull your offer over.  It might be worth passing my comments on to Mr Hutchings if you get the chance - more info on contents would be welcome next time.

As for the good reviews - well they're right on one level.  The contents are superb and everything sounds first class.  I have no problem with the music at all.  I was just expecting more material that was genuinely "previously unreleased".

Thanks,

Jules"

You can't say fairer than that really.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

I´ve just ordered Albion Christmas Bands "Traditional" from TE. The tracklisting looked interesting - along the line of the favourite St. Agnes - but I´d like to hear comments how "Traditional" is regarded here compared to other Albion Christmas Band CD:s...?

Traditional is a compilation of suff from the previous three Albion Christmas Band albums. It is, as it suggests, all the traditional songs (as opposed to the covers of contemporary material, Joni Mitchell, Lindisfarne etc).
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2010, 04:56:50 PM »

I think the key is in the phrase "never before released collection of rarities". It is the collection that has never been released before, not the rarities. After all, Vintage 1 was in part a re-release of a BBC Radio1 In Concert CD so your suspicion that these are BBC tracks may be on the money. I don't have my copy yet but will be disappointed in that is the case having hunted down the BBC sessions CD last year.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »

I think the key is in the phrase "never before released collection of rarities". It is the collection that has never been released before, not the rarities. After all, Vintage 1 was in part a re-release of a BBC Radio1 In Concert CD so your suspicion that these are BBC tracks may be on the money. I don't have my copy yet but will be disappointed in that is the case having hunted down the BBC sessions CD last year.

I think you're right, Gub.  Good theory.  And I can relate because I too have only recently acquired the BBC Sessions (via a member of this very parish in fact).

Jules

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »

Traditional is a compilation of suff from the previous three Albion Christmas Band albums. It is, as it suggests, all the traditional songs (as opposed to the covers of contemporary material, Joni Mitchell, Lindisfarne etc).

"Traditional" was waiting on the doormat when i came home. Now I know that its a compilation but the inlay does not contain one bit of information, apart from the names of the musicians. I know I'm weird but I enjoy all the facts around the music. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed, compilation of old material or not.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2010, 09:07:35 PM »

Now I know that its a compilation but the inlay does not contain one bit of information, apart from the names of the musicians. I know I'm weird but I enjoy all the facts around the music. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed, compilation of old material or not.

I've been saying the same myself (about the other recent Albion Band release), and I'm sure it's not just us.  In fact I'd say the majority of music fans buying CDs want to know track details and have some liner notes, and Mr Hutchings must be a bit daft not to realise this.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: