TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:44:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sailor's Life - the Genre  (Read 22382 times)
andy_ck87028
n3wb

« on: September 10, 2007, 01:06:37 AM »

Hi all,

I've had a habit of being stuck in the 70s now for around 35 years and still absolutely love the music.

In the car, I was playing "A Sailor's life" again (Watching the Dark version) and I just so love that track.

True, I love RT's guitar and Sandy's voice and the crispness of the drumming is devine.

However, what it strongly caused me to recall is that for the last 30 + years, I have been looking for more of the same as is encapsulated within that track.

I used to call the music "tripping" music (never having taken lsd) and "trucking" music (it just goes on and on and if it went on for ever, I'd be happy).

I love the multiple layers that complement each other but it always has an incessant yet relaxed drive about it.

In short, can anyone point me in the direction of alternative examples of this "genre" for which I have one shining example called "A Sailor's Life"!

I often expected the Grateful Dead to satisfy my need and recently bought Aoxomoxoa. Don't like the west coast influence and I was very disappointed with it being a studio album. Perhaps "Live Dead"? I feel I get close to the Sound at times with Can who I was lucky to see many decades ago in Friars Club Aylesbury. Aspects of King Crimson also do it for me and I absolutely love their Album "Islands" because of that melodic "groove".

I would love to hear other people's taste in this genre. Really, what I am looking for is examples of the style of music that is so beautifully captured in "A Sailor's Life"

Yes, I know Sloth (Magnificent) and Matty Groves (Haunting) but I want to find examples outside of Fairport and RT.

Happy recalling and reminiscing.

Andy

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 09:14:38 AM »

Try "On The Shore" by Trees.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 09:34:29 AM »

Agree with 'On the Shore'.  'Aoxomoxoa' is not a particularly good choice dor the Dead. Try 'Anthem of the Sun' and 'Live Dead' (the original, with the red cover'.  Television 'Marquee Moon' - the title track.
Quicksilver's first two albums.  Mighty Baby 'Jug of Love'.....I'll be back later with more suggestions Cool Cool
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »

Agree about Television's Marquee Moon.  I think that one might just do it for you.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »

I think you fall into the intricate jam band type of sound. Alman brothers, santana, and even Phish have this sort of sound. You might also try the band renaissance. Carpets of the sun and mother russia have some of that sound. I always called this type of music as noodling or jam band. If you like KC, you might also try some of the space rock, jazz fusion,  or prog bands like necktar, gentle giant, weather report, etc.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 08:02:38 PM »

And you could try Astralasia (sort of Spacey Dancey)

Or Robert Fripp's Soundscapes

Or Eno

Or any of that crowd really.... Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »

And you could try Astralasia (sort of Spacey Dancey)

Most definitely seconded.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »

Some of the tracks off "No Roses" - the Shirley Collins/Albion Band - have a similar feel, especially Maria Marten and the Poor Murdered Girl one.  R< live created that similar kind of groove, i.e. Night Comes In, Calvary Cross.

Thank Drunk I'm God
andy_ck87028
n3wb

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 01:40:02 AM »

My word ... thanks all

That's certainly stirred up some good memories

A few themes I know and have some examples - Robert Fripp, Eno, Gentle Giant, Dead, Renaissance, Santana

A few themes I know of but have yet to purchase - Quicksilver

A few themes that are new - Television, Trees, Albion Band, Australasia, Mighty Baby, Nektar

A few themes that I've tried but struck dead ends - Weather Report

Wow, where next for me and my cheque book.

Definitely Quicksilver, more Gentle Giant and more Fripp (Soundscapes). Very curious about Television, Australasia, Trees (On the Shore).

Thanks again and more examples are really welcome. For me this is a really great way to expand my knowledge of aspects of music. I hope others are enjoying this thread also.

Andy

Btw, Born in Oxford, lived in Wheatley.... saw many of the 70s band but just missed out on the Doors due to events in Paris .....

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »

saw many of the 70s band but just missed out on the Doors due to events in Paris .....

Funny - I nearly mentioned the Doors.  Some of their longer instrumental passages sometimes get into Sailor's Life territory.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »

My word ... thanks all

A few themes that are new - Television, Trees, Albion Band, Australasia, Mighty Baby, Nektar

Definitely Quicksilver, more Gentle Giant and more Fripp (Soundscapes). Very curious about Television, Australasia, Trees (On the Shore).

Ummm Astralasia not Australasia Cheesy

try here
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=117831920

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »

Wow, where next for me and my cheque book.

Hmmm... I see your methods of payment are also wedded to the 1970's  Grin

DC
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »

A little out there, but you might try the bones of all men. It is philip pickett with RT and FC. It is medieval noodling. I like it, but it doesn't fit exactly what you want, but it is one of my favorites and it is hard to classify.

I also like Gryphon.

Steve Morse high tension wires cd has a lot of instrumentals.

The Grateful dead song sage and spirit might be want you want.

Traffics john barlycorn has the feel.

Maybe Jethro tulls thick as a brick.

The band Oregon.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 07:29:27 PM »

Yeah, definitely Bones of All Men is a superb set, and I like Gryphon, too, but I don't think either is in the same genre as Sailor's Life - but if you like any of these you'll probably like them all, if my taste is anything to go by (probably not!).

Interesting crossover between baroque classical and folk/rock - Bex and I are experimenting with playing some Carolan in the baroque style as opposed to the Irish trad style, as we believe he was a contemporary of some of the baroque clasiical composers.

DC
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 09:05:39 PM »

personally i think "a sailors life" is its own genre theres nothing that springs to my mind that builds quite like it, true musical genius, it transcends all attempts to sully its memory. i think we all know who and what i'm on about

The Dude abides
andy_ck87028
n3wb

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 02:35:37 AM »

Thanks for the pickup on Astralasia. I guess my error is due to me now being an antipode.

Perhaps "A Sailors Life" is indeed its own genre.

On the Doors front, I find I am in the same groove when listening to "When the Musics Over" on Absolutely Live.

Although I haven't heard it for decades, "Lost in Space" by Hawkwind does it for me as well.

Another one that does it is an Asturian folk band called Felpeyu.

I think the word that fits best is jamming. (Even though the Hawkwind and Doors examples above violate that principle).

I just love the sense of a band of people each working within the same rythmic energy whilst also exploring  their own boundaries in a manner that builds and complements rather than segments and destroys.

People may say I'm talking jazz but I'm not as jazz seems to me to be played for the benefit of the players rather than the community. Folk roots play for the community not for the ego.

I feel included with folk music. I feel excluded by jazz.

Does that make sense to anyone??

Andy

PS From sunny Australasia. (Shame that global warming is leading to our extinction. It sure feels nice!!)
PPS Nice pickup with "Thick as a Brick" ... wonderful album.
jamesiegang

Loc: Mirfield West Yorks

How Can You Dance With Two Left Feet?

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 06:54:46 PM »

A few themes I know of but have yet to purchase - Quicksilver

To link with this try the Welsh Band....Man.
The late John Cippolina (SP.?) from QMS guested with them on a live album.
To link with 'A Sailor's Life'..the longer tracks from Fotheringay?

"A Man of the Earth ...A Man of the Soil"
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 07:33:20 PM »

Ah! Noodling..... Grin

Neil Young produced quite a few pieces which have that extended, moody, jamming feel - thinking particularly of Cortez the killer, Cowgirl in the sand, Down by the river...

A single suggestion would be Tim Buckley's 'Dream letter' - a fairly intense, atmospheric live album, with elements of jazz that don't overwhelm the warmth and honesty of the songs. Brilliant musicianship too!  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:22 PM »

Has anyone mentioned the live version of Reno, Nevada by FC? That builds in much the same way and has a blinding solo by RT on it.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 01:34:56 AM »

Night Comes In.... Calvary Cross...

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: