TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You can all join in  (Read 22811 times)
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 10:26:08 PM »

A bunch of us lads lived in half a big terraced house round the corner from Ladbroke Grove around 1971, and there was a copy of You Can All Join In hanging around; can't remember now who owned it. Got played a lot.

I bet Iain Matthews looks fed up on the cover cos he's freezing!

One of us owned a Track Records (I think) sampler with If I Had a Ribbon Bow on it - Judy Dyble vocal refrain.

My God there was an eclectic collection of records in that place - we played Who's Next incessantly and we also had gems like At The Hop by Danny and the Juniors and an ancient Sandy Powell 78 - Wi' 'Er 'Ed Tucked Underneath 'Er Arm, B side Sandy Among The Nudists.  Roll Eyes

Rather a lot of Moody Blues & Bread too, lowering the tone a bit. Oops sorry, thread creep......        

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
mik
Its a hawk moth!!

Loc: newmarket

Art! Empire! Industry!

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »

ladbroke grove 71!!!! wow!!! You have lived my dream - Hawkwind, the fairies, The mountain Grill, great stuff missed it all by ten years  Sad mind there is an upside I'd rather be 43 than 53  Grin Grin Grin

A bunch of us lads lived in half a big terraced house round the corner from Ladbroke Grove around 1971, and there was a copy of You Can All Join In hanging around; can't remember now who owned it. Got played a lot.

I bet Iain Matthews looks fed up on the cover cos he's freezing!

One of us owned a Track Records (I think) sampler with If I Had a Ribbon Bow on it - Judy Dyble vocal refrain.

My God there was an eclectic collection of records in that place - we played Who's Next incessantly and we also had gems like At The Hop by Danny and the Juniors and an ancient Sandy Powell 78 - Wi' 'Er 'Ed Tucked Underneath 'Er Arm, B side Sandy Among The Nudists.  Roll Eyes

Rather a lot of Moody Blues & Bread too, lowering the tone a bit. Oops sorry, thread creep......        

There's no truth in a telephone booth or a rock and roll toilet
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2007, 11:11:34 PM »

ladbroke grove 71!!!! wow!!! You have lived my dream - Hawkwind, the fairies, The mountain Grill, great stuff missed it all by ten years  Sad mind there is an upside I'd rather be 43 than 53  Grin Grin Grin

I lived there then as well, (not in the same house as Edthefolkie obviously,) but in Elgin Crescent.
Really missed Portobello market when we moved out of London in 1973.....................

I expect our paths crossed quite a bit Grin
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 11:23:08 PM by jude » Logged

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
jamesc

Loc: staffordshire

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »

Yes, I am looking at a copy of Bumpers now, when I brought it it was something in old money on a market stall, saw a copy of it at a car boot the other week,
mik
Its a hawk moth!!

Loc: newmarket

Art! Empire! Industry!

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 11:30:08 PM »

I lived there then as well, (not in the same house as Edthefolkie obviously,) but in Elgin Crescent.
Really missed Portobello market when we moved out of London in 1973.....................

I expect our paths crossed quite a bit Grin

I stayed many nites with a pal in the early eighties above honest johns in Portobello Road - few years after the heyday of that ladbroke grove scene - he was always pointing out things like the house they fillumed Performance in and in that big pub near the yard where virgin was - the earl of gransden I think it was - was lemmy!! who is much smaller than you expect.starstruck daze!!!

There's no truth in a telephone booth or a rock and roll toilet
malcolm weaver

Loc: Notts.

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 12:45:54 PM »

Re: You Can All Join In......are you aware of the pink Island CD box set ..Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal..which does its best to cover all of the Island sampler albums between 1967 and 1972. Although you miss out on the artwork of the vinyl era there is a lot of info relating to the artists and the samplers etc.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 04:31:08 PM »

This month's Record Collector mag (with The Who on the front) has a diagram identifying all those on the cover of YCAJI.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 06:55:50 PM »

I found it in my LP shelf. "Backtrack 2". Among the tracks: Under my thumb-Who, Desdemona-Marsha Hunt and  Hendrix´Purple Haze! Great resord but the only of the Backtrack albums to  include Fairport.
I must admit that I never bought the other samplers mentioned. It seemed that I already had the tracks I was interested in on different LP:s. I have a feeling that they didn´t precede the albums the tracks were taken from but rather came out after the original albume had been out on the market for some time.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 11:30:57 AM »

The Word November 2004 had an article on the "glory days" of the sampler album: You Can All Join In, Nice Enough To Eat and Bumpers were the classics from Island. I still love them. Nice Enough To Eat introduced the world to King Crimson and Nick Drake - need I say more? In the Foreword to his Sandy Denny Songbook, Maartin Allcock mentions You Can All Join In and says how excited he was that he later got to play with musicians who feature in that famous photo.

I have them all and I love them.

The story I have is that the bloke in the glasses is Ian Anderson (now of fRoots but he used to be in a band back then). Supposedly they thought he was Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.   Grin

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 11:34:29 AM »

The Word November 2004 had an article on the "glory days" of the sampler album: You Can All Join In, Nice Enough To Eat and Bumpers were the classics from Island. I still love them. Nice Enough To Eat introduced the world to King Crimson and Nick Drake - need I say more? In the Foreword to his Sandy Denny Songbook, Maartin Allcock mentions You Can All Join In and says how excited he was that he later got to play with musicians who feature in that famous photo.

I have them all and I love them.

The story I have is that the bloke in the glasses is Ian Anderson (now of fRoots but he used to be in a band back then). Supposedly they thought he was Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.   Grin

Both Ian's are in the picture, perhaps they were just making sure they'd got the right one!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »

Ian Anderson (now of fRoots but he used to be in a band back then).

WAs, and still is - the band is Tiger Moth. You'll note he was involved with The Imagined Village, and showed up at the Festival Hall - along with Tom Robinson (who plonked himself down beside me)

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 10:14:57 PM »

Chris, yes I did know that but I didn't have a lot of time to do my post!

I did see Ian after the qu's, but didn't spot him again during the performance.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 10:35:19 PM »

He lent Billy Bragg his amp....

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2007, 09:16:40 AM »

I thoiught he might join in on the ceilidh number at the end  Sad
(sorry all about the thread drift  Embarrassed )

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: